Talon Phil's Build plan

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I hear what your saying about it mounting to the caliper. The only thing I would worry about mounting it to the caliper is if it is a cast aluminum part then it's not nearly as strong as the bracket or arms. So that would concern me. Having an extra brace between the upper and lower arm can't hurt IMO, and for the price I couldn't see not buying them.
One note, and most probably know this, the X and the R are take different suspension braces as they are different sizes in the rear.

You must be good advertisement for McNasty. I'd been debating buying these and decided to go for it after seeing your post. Problem is, they are sold out of both colors right now. :(

Reactions: Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hear what your saying about it mounting to the caliper. The only thing I would worry about mounting it to the caliper is if it is a cast aluminum part then it's not nearly as strong as the bracket or arms. So that would concern me. Having an extra brace between the upper and lower arm can't hurt IMO, and for the price I couldn't see not buying them.
One note, and most probably know this, the X and the R are take different suspension braces as they are different sizes in the rear.
This is my thought as well. While I like the design of mounting to the caliper, i have less faith that an impact wouldnt damage the caliper as well. My only concern with the other style is that they could hold debris between the boot and the brace

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
You must be good advertisement for McNasty. I'd been debating buying these and decided to go for it after seeing your post. Problem is, they are sold out of both colors right now. :(
Hey Terry, glad I could give you some input instead of me just leaching all the information from you! McNasty better get their production going or someone will knock them off pretty quickly.

Reactions: TerryH
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Added the AED Offroad Side Bars/Tree kickers over the weekend. They mount to the holes Honda provides. What I really like about them is they stick out past the back of the machine to deflect you away from trees. Most of the other side bars out there seem to wrap around offering really not "blocking" for the rear. These are made out of .120 min tube, and they are heavy. It took longer to take the rocker pannels off and cut out the slots than it did to install the side bars!

IMG 0499

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Added the AED Offroad Side Bars/Tree kickers over the weekend. They mount to the holes Honda provides. What I really like about them is they stick out past the back of the machine to deflect you away from trees. Most of the other side bars out there seem to wrap around offering really not "blocking" for the rear. These are made out of .120 min tube, and they are heavy. It took longer to take the rocker pannels off and cut out the slots than it did to install the side bars!

View attachment 184598

I am excited to get my AED tree kickers too! I am picking them up on my way to Royal Blue in March!) Your build is looking real nice!!!

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am excited to get my AED tree kickers too! I am picking them up on my way to Royal Blue in March!) Your build is looking real nice!!!
Cool, yea you will need them there on the TWRA trails. We went there last March and rode ATV's. Really rutted out, but they had bulldozers in there clearing up the trails. You may already know this, but make sure you take your rocker panels on the bottom off and cut out the access ports for the side bars, and put them back on. That takes a lot of time. Not that it's hard, but there are a lot of bolts and push pins. If you have fender flares, like RockBlox, you will have to remove the bottom pieces.

Reactions: Hometeam
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Cool, yea you will need them there on the TWRA trails. We went there last March and rode ATV's. Really rutted out, but they had bulldozers in there clearing up the trails. You may already know this, but make sure you take your rocker panels on the bottom off and cut out the access ports for the side bars, and put them back on. That takes a lot of time. Not that it's hard, but there are a lot of bolts and push pins. If you have fender flares, like RockBlox, you will have to remove the bottom pieces.

Awesome thanks for tip! I will definitely get that done before I take off for Tennessee since I will be installing them at the campsite! Royal Blue will be this year's season pass. Last year we got one to Brimstone! My sons and I get a season pass to a different place each year and then go there all that year!!

Reactions: CID
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
No problem. Jasond did the same thing you are doing, picking them up and putting them on at your destination. He is the one that told me about taking the rockers off first and getting the holes cut out. Lots of good folks on this site sharing information. That is what it is all about.
I get a season pass to both places every year. So many of those trails cross paths on the west side I never really know if I'm on Brimstone or TWRA. Obviously on the east side or Sunquist unit, they are all TWRA. We take a few short notice trips down there, so it's just easier to have a year long pass. I'm only 4.5 hours away from there, and my buddies who live in Cincinnati are only 3.5 hours. So its a quick hop for us.

Reactions: Hometeam and jasond
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yep that's exactly what I did. David Valentine (AED owner) was very accommodating and met me on time exactly where he said he would so that was much appreciated.

Like @PhilCod mentioned, you'll do yourself a huge favor by getting the plastics prepped and ready where all you'll need to do is bolt the kickers on. It definitely helps to have a buddy hold them in position since they're heavy (in a good way).

Reactions: Hometeam
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Thanks guys! It would be fun to meet up in Tennessee sometime and ride!! I am going to Royal Blue on March 21 weekend and then back again in April! I am 7 hours away so not terrible but it is the best place for us to ride within what I call reasonable driving distance! We went to St. Joe's in Missouri this last weekend and had fun but it's not Tennessee!!:D

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
I recently purchased the Bosman Designs double shear brackets for my R, thinking those would be the strongest design, but I didn't take into consideration the spacers used with the L&W radius arms means the Bosman brackets wont work. The Bosman brackets attach from the caliper mount to the radius arm, the McNasty bracket only goes between the radius arms. Trying to better educate myself on which bracket to choose, wouldn't a bracket that ties into the brake caliper mount be stronger than one that ties the 2 radius arms together?
I think you'd be fine without the shear stopper. IDK, see if you can find out what Honda did for the KOH machines. I bet they don't have "shear stoppers" on them.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think you'd be fine without the shear stopper. IDK, see if you can find out what Honda did for the KOH machines. I bet they don't have "shear stoppers" on them.

You're probably right, I'm likely buying peace of mind for myself. I wound up getting the All thingz UTV shear stoppers, they work with the L&W radius rods.

Reactions: CID
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes, they do have Shear Brackets. Hard to tell what brand but they look a lot like the Bosman Designs...

View attachment 185402
Im curious about that axle... wrapped in electrical tape? Not using an OEM boot clamp either which might be from a repair?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Im curious about that axle... wrapped in electrical tape? Not using an OEM boot clamp either which might be from a repair?

I think the axle wrap is a racing thing to help prevent rocks and debris from constantly hitting the axle shaft directly to reduce the risk of micro-fractures and nicks that could cause axle failure/breakage during a race.

Not sure what the strategy is with the hose clamp for a boot clamp, but I’m guessing it’s to make for a speedier fix if they needed to remove/replace it.

Reactions: Dragon21
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think the axle wrap is a racing thing to help prevent rocks and debris from constantly hitting the axle shaft directly to reduce the risk of micro-fractures and nicks that could cause axle failure/breakage during a race.

Not sure what the strategy is with the hose clamp for a boot clamp, but I’m guessing it’s to make for a speedier fix if they needed to remove/replace it.
Correct, the axles are wrapped to protect them from nicks and chips that can lead to hairline cracks that can eventually lead to failure.

Maybe the hose clamp was an "on the spot" fix and that was all they had because you can't remove those clamps on a Talon without destroying them (been there, done that).

There are several pics showing the team constantly tweaking the suspension and even this one the front axles out but I can't think of any reason to disassemble the outer CV unless they replaced an axle shaft...

Reactions: CID and jasond
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
Yes, they do have Shear Brackets. Hard to tell what brand but they look a lot like the Bosman Designs...

View attachment 185402
I stand corrected! I have seen this version of shear stoppers on the Facebook forums. It is the way I would go if I did get them...which I probably won't lol.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I stand corrected! I have seen this version of shear stoppers on the Facebook forums. It is the way I would go if I did get them...which I probably won't lol.
I'll make my own before paying $105 for 4 small pieces of metal :)
Weller Racing's version (although not quite as beefy) are only $25 and probably good enough for what I do.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I added a rear tailgate/bed extender. Its from Axiom. I spoke with Tony there and let him know what I was looking for and he built this. They now have it on their site. Its designed just to extend the bed a few inches. I needed the extra room to get a cooler in there with my storage box.

IMG 1013 IMG 1011

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!