P1000 Pioneer 1000 regret

J

JTW

I'd definitely avoid ethanol. There is no squeezing happening. It's just pulling fuel into the motor through the valves. higher octane fuel will ignite a lot easier. You have spark plugs to ignite it we arent talking diesel here. I think your shop guy is a polaris fan boy.

You need 3 things.
Good fuel
Good spark
Strong fast cranking

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
And sexy shaved legs! I dunno... but it seems to work for @Cuoutdoors !

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a similar issue with mine fri morn. -8 fired right up, rode to work sat outside. Rode home for lunch at -6 no problem. After work wouldn't fire up, fuel pump didn't sound like it was cycling. Fuel gauge was at 2 bars. I'm thinkin ice in lines. Towed it home added 5 gallons of fresh 91 octane fuel and it fires right up. With just 2 bars of fuel in there any moisture messed with it.

We'll see what wed brings with -53 wind chill!! I'm in wi also.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
With just 2 bars of fuel in there any moisture messed with it. We'll see what wed brings with -53 wind chill!! I'm in wi also.
Great point, you likely want to keep the fuel topped off when so bitter outside right now, because any "moisture" can become a problem at these temperatures...

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW 87 octane fuel burns slower than 91 octane. Ethanol added fuel burns even faster because of the ethanol. Colder temperatures make the oil thicker and it is harder on the battery and starter to spin it over.The first designation in oil is the cold viscosity,the lower it is the "thinner" the oil is when cold. If you are sure your temps will be cold until the next oil change you might try a smaller prefix on your oil,i.e. Ow-30.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just tried giving it a better shot of fluid in the air intake in hood and it coughed and ran for five seconds and died again. Can’t be good to keep spraying that in there
No, it’s not, and says so on the can. I usually give up after a couple tries.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know if this relates at all because mine is a 700 but I had a lot of trouble starting it when it was below zero. It would just crank and crank without firing. After doing a lot of investigating on the Rincon forums, I found if the voltage drops too much while starting the injectors actually stop delivering fuel. Before I found this I tried thinner oil with little help. I finally found that Canadian models come with bigger batteries to help alleviate this problem. I finally up sized batteries and it curried my starting issues. Hope you get something figured out.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know if this relates at all because mine is a 700 but I had a lot of trouble starting it when it was below zero. It would just crank and crank without firing. After doing a lot of investigating on the Rincon forums, I found if the voltage drops too much while starting the injectors actually stop delivering fuel. Before I found this I tried thinner oil with little help. I finally found that Canadian models come with bigger batteries to help alleviate this problem. I finally up sized batteries and it curried my starting issues. Hope you get something figured out.

What battery is in the Canadian model?

Reactions: Remington
C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks everybody. Hopefully it starts in the morning for the snow coming, if not it’s off to the dealer. Honestly, I’m pretty good about fuel, at least I try to be. It had ethanol free in it when it wouldn’t start with added sea foam. I only added 87 at dealers request after I couldn’t start it. Tank is full now, I rode it earlier for two hours hoping to get the Heet and fresh gas through everything. It’s minus 10 right now. I’ll let you guys know in the morning. I don’t think service guy is a Polaris fanboy, I think he is honestly going by what he sees. I think he likes the Honda better, said it in a round about way.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What battery is in the Canadian model?
The Canadian models come with 16 ah batteries vs the 12 ah on the 700. I actually went even 1 size bigger (Ytx20). This might be apples and oranges but it might have something to do with it starting with starting fluid. 777dc9f6b8b686ff33909bb43059c9f8

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
He's actually right on this one point, with regard to cold weather starting. The rest of it is BS, as you can see by many of us saying we start Hondas at any temperature without doing anything special.
Only have ran 89 in mine since new never a problem in any temp

advertisement
Gunslingertom

Gunslingertom

Nov 25, 2018
SW Missouri Ozarks
Ownership

1. 700-2
Someone explain to me how 10:1 compression is low. Your service tech is full of it. When I got mine serviced, I was telling them that it seems hard starting for a fuel injected engine and my service tech said they have had to replace a lot of batteries in both the 700's and 1000's because they are weak. Maybe a quality control issue? I don't know.
If you start yours a lot and only run it for a few minutes at a time, there is probably a lot of crap from the fuel on/in your plugs. This is a common problem at bike shops where they just start the machine long enough to take it outside and then back inside when they close. Take your plugs out and hit the end (ground electrode, center electrode and inside the insulator tip cavity) with a lighter or propane torch to burn the junk out. If they are lightly fouled, this will work every time.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for replies. Yes I was always running ethanol free until yesterday when dealer told me to put in 87 with ethanol. I always use sea foam too. Yesterday upon his recommendation, I put 87 and some heet in it. Also battery is always on a tender. His theory is lower compression motor can’t squeeze the fuel through like the higher compression Ranger motor can. Said he sees this a lot on the Honda’s. He believes 87 detonates easier than 91

dealer has no clue obviously. the car stuff with ethonal is all I use because it has the proper winter mix to fire good. extra crap like sea foam is one time use and makes it run like crap, unneccary too. all my vehicels start fine in neg temps with just the NY pump crap. also not because of compression hard starting in the cold is the lean emissions tune they all have.
have run the pioneer a few times in the neg and it started fine, if you don't have all the other crap and the seafoam may have fouled you plugs. that crap creates a lot of smoke and makes it run horrible only supposed to use for cleaning old stuff

Last edited:
C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah I don’t know. I really have no problem starting anything else I own whether it’s three vehicles, chainsaws even my 60 year gas tractor starts and runs perfect, hence my frustration with a brand new utv.

Reactions: sharp
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honda will too but you stop wasting your time believing the tech, might have to drain the tank and just put the normal car stuff in it

there is no reason to ever need starting spray I have worked on every motor there is from old diesels, tractors, I have never purchased one can. if it doesn't start stop and find the real problem, you can add a tiny bit of gas to see if you have a spark or gas problem and that is a lot safer. would also at least look at the plug and clean it with some wire brush or sand paper and air

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My suggestions: Non ethanol 87 gas, I would drain the tank and put fresh in. Relocate the gas tank vent, it is known to cause water in the tank. Replace the spark plugs, mostly insurance but if you foul one good they tend to not run 100% no matter what you do to clean them. You do not have to remove the air box to change plugs (not hard to) but do need a couple 3" extensions and a magnet to get them out, pretty sure the plug is a 14mm. 0W-30 oil. You have to have a pretty hot battery for these things to crank. I would leave it on a battery tender or even better get a battery heater or tender and block heater for those - temps.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you suspect the battery you could use a car/truck while running and hook a set of good jumper cables to it and try to start it. Back in the early 2000's if a 7.3 ford's battery voltage dropped too low the computer would not allow it to start.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah I don’t know. I really have no problem starting anything else I own whether it’s three vehicles, chainsaws even my 60 year gas tractor starts and runs perfect, hence my frustration with a brand new utv.
So did it start today?

They do have a battery that is boarderline big enough. Upgrading the battery or adding a second one would help as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just started mine now that it has gotten up to +4*. Cranked a little slow but started right up.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!