P1000 Pioneer 1000 regret

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
My suggestions: Non ethanol 87 gas, I would drain the tank and put fresh in. Relocate the gas tank vent, it is known to cause water in the tank. Replace the spark plugs, mostly insurance but if you foul one good they tend to not run 100% no matter what you do to clean them. You do not have to remove the air box to change plugs (not hard to) but do need a couple 3" extensions and a magnet to get them out, pretty sure the plug is a 14mm. 0W-30 oil. You have to have a pretty hot battery for these things to crank. I would leave it on a battery tender or even better get a battery heater or tender and block heater for those - temps.

ethonal free gas does not have the winter additives the gas pump stuff does, maybe good for warm area for its storage benefits but is need to make a vehicle run properly in the north. the cars and trucks run fine forever in neg temps. the only disadvantage is you have to use stabil if you dont plan on using the gas in less than a couple weeks because of the ethonal. honda must push the 100 because the lady said it had it in the tank from the factory and that was what they recommend you keep in it, but you will have problems if you do in the cold

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lot of guys posting on Facebook about this issue. Gel battery and heet in the tank has been the fix for the no start in the cold issue.

Reactions: JTW
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t forget that as temps lower the availability of effective cranking power also diminishes. The inverse is true for recharging the spent energy as well.

Lots of stops and starts in cold weather is hard on these small batts.

C

Chris-Rog

Jan 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well to my surprise it started today, fairly easy actually. But.......it warmed up today to 13 degrees Fahrenheit. Thank god I was able to plow in this blizzard. Weather is supposed to drop off again to minus 15 I think tomorrow. Really appreciate everyone’s input.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well to my surprise it started today, fairly easy actually. But.......it warmed up today to 13 degrees Fahrenheit. Thank god I was able to plow in this blizzard. Weather is supposed to drop off again to minus 15 I think tomorrow. Really appreciate everyone’s input.
Glad to hear you got it going! I read your first post and was thinking, if you bought it brand new and only put 8 miles on it, the dealer must have put bad gas in it to begin with. I dont see how yall deal with that cold weather. Lol. It was 57 degrees here today and they have already cancelled 60+ schools and counties for tomorrow because we are expecting a dusting to 1 inch.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to hear you got it going! I read your first post and was thinking, if you bought it brand new and only put 8 miles on it, the dealer must have put bad gas in it to begin with. I dont see how yall deal with that cold weather. Lol. It was 57 degrees here today and they have already cancelled 60+ schools and counties for tomorrow because we are expecting a dusting to 1 inch.

Tomorrow in mid eastern SD.

E18A1BA0 88A3 4CD8 B5FC 710AFB306A03

Wednesday looks similar....yay!

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
-35, wow that’s brutal. Sharp, my daughter went to college in tn and she would send us pictures of totally empty milk and bread shelves if they were forecast to get an inch of snow.
Yes they are the same way here in Ky. I'm from NE Ohio snow belt area. I laugh at these crazies down here. Good people but clueless about real snow.

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
These are my favorite threads. @Chris-Rog has a legit issue and multiple members give sound advice. *(note to Chris-Rog... I know you don't have much post history w/ Hondasxs Forum, but these guys answering you, hold in the HIGHEST regard & Consider them Top Experts!)

Keep us POSTED! Don't disappear.

Last edited:
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
These are my favorite threads. @Chris-Rog has a legit issue and multiple members give sound advice. *(note to Chris-Rog... I know you don't have much post history w/ Hondasxs Forum, but these guys answering you, I hold in the HIGHEST regard... You should consider them Top Experts!)

Keep us POSTED! Don't disappear.
Absolutely true. I own a Yamaha but this a great forum all the way around.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This cold sure puts a hurting on the old liver! Really why not get drunk and be hung over. Ain't nothing else to do!

Reactions: Mudwing and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!