P500 Pioneer 500-4 build

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This is what I have so far, not sure where it's going to end up, bought 24 ft. 3/4 square and 24 ft.1 5/8 "x.100 DOM tube, any input from forum members would be much appreciated, the seats are 15" wide they sit up 2" higher than the front seat .What I would like to know is if any of you with a 700-4 could take a few measurements and tell me what the back of the seat is in relation to the back of the rear tire ,is it beyond or in front of.The idea of this build is to involve the members of the forum with their 2 cents worth ,It is being made to completely disassemble.The main support are 2 pieces of 1.25x1.0 solid square 12" long slid in the main frame with a slot cut in it to clear the screws coming thru the frame , and a 5/16 hole drilled thru the frame for bolts to hold it in place, they stick out 6". A 3/16x2" angle sets on top of these 53 " long ,this is the width of the sxs with wheels and tiresThe front of the seat supports set on the roll cage, maybe one 1/4 hole will be drilled in the cage to cut down on vibration, or clamped to it don't know yet.THERE WILL BE NO WELDING DONE ON THE SXS .Only a few holes here and there, I'm also looking for cage design from the forum members ,without getting to complicated.Put your thinking caps on and get back to me. This Is a winter project and it looks like a long winter, got 8 "of snow today.The only suggestion I don't need is that I'm nuts.My wife already had that one.

WIN 20151121 135346

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
awesome idea, my concern would be weight. Thats would be large percentage of weight relative to the vehicles dry weight that you shifted directly over or behind the rear wheels and fairly high up. It would drastically change the center of mass.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
awesome idea, my concern would be weight. Thats would be large percentage of weight relative to the vehicles dry weight that you shifted directly over or behind the rear wheels and fairly high up. It would drastically change the center of mass.
The idea of this is a place for kids to safely ride, that is why I am keeping the seats as low as possible without the back tire rubbing.The top of the seat is 2" lower than the cargo rack I took off.The picture I took is deceiving, the seat will be placed right behind the top the 45 degree.This still allows 26" of knee room, your feet extend under the drivers seat, running into gas tank location issues on the passenger side.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjolley_382
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The idea of this is a place for kids to safely ride, that is why I am keeping the seats as low as possible without the back tire rubbing.

What're you thinking of using for ROPS?

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What're you thinking of using for ROPS?
Leave the one on that is there and either make a roll bar in the back with supports coming forward overtop and sides to clamp on or duplicate the factory built 700-4 cage.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is a pretty cool idea. Please keep safety in mind.

The kiddos shouldn't be that heavy so you may ok as far as stability. You may have to upgrade the rear coils?

Ill be watching this, thanks for sharing.

Joe

Reactions: jay dawge
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This is a pretty cool idea. Please keep safety in mind.

The kiddos shouldn't be that heavy so you may ok as far as stability. You may have to upgrade the rear coils?

Ill be watching this, thanks for sharing.

Joe
Thanks ,already looking at factory 500 headrest and four point harnesses

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
This is what I have so far, not sure where it's going to end up, bought 24 ft. 3/4 square and 24 ft.1 5/8 "x.100 DOM tube, any input from forum members would be much appreciated, the seats are 15" wide they sit up 2" higher than the front seat .What I would like to know is if any of you with a 700-4 could take a few measurements and tell me what the back of the seat is in relation to the back of the rear tire ,is it beyond or in front of.The idea of this build is to involve the members of the forum with their 2 cents worth ,It is being made to completely disassemble.The main support are 2 pieces of 1.25x1.0 solid square 12" long slid in the main frame with a slot cut in it to clear the screws coming thru the frame , and a 5/16 hole drilled thru the frame for bolts to hold it in place, they stick out 6". A 3/16x2" angle sets on top of these 53 " long ,this is the width of the sxs with wheels and tiresThe front of the seat supports set on the roll cage, maybe one 1/4 hole will be drilled in the cage to cut down on vibration, or clamped to it don't know yet.THERE WILL BE NO WELDING DONE ON THE SXS .Only a few holes here and there, I'm also looking for cage design from the forum members ,without getting to complicated.Put your thinking caps on and get back to me. This Is a winter project and it looks like a long winter, got 8 "of snow today.The only suggestion I don't need is that I'm nuts.My wife already had that one.
My wife suggests the same about me, regularly. Ha! I like your idea. I've thought about ways to add capacity to mine. However, I am also concerned about balance/weight distribution issues. Honda was able to do it without stretching the frame on the 700, so there's a guideline in place. My biggest concern would be engine heat that close to the kiddos' legs, and what kind of doors/ROPS would be used to enclose the seating area. I'll be watching this, closely. It seems like a great project!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
WOW I like the Idea! I will have to watch this thread!

@p500fan I have a buddy that has a two seater razor 800 and he bought a middle seat for the 1-2 year old, he rides right above the arm console. just a thought.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Neat idea but I also have to agree with all the be careful statements. Around here with our hills/mountains things can be a bit hairy with the factory setup. You may want to think about wheel spacers to get a little extra width due to the higher center of gravity.
Nice work on your fab up so far!

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Neat idea but I also have to agree with all the be careful statements. Around here with our hills/mountains things can be a bit hairy with the factory setup. You may want to think about wheel spacers to get a little extra width due to the higher center of gravity.
Nice work on your fab up so far!
I appreciate everyones concerns about safety ,Just want to let you all know I am as safety mined as they come.I have never ridden mine with out the seat belt on. As far as high center of gravity and to much weight behind the back wheels it is a concern but not really an issue for the riding that will be done, The only time there will be people in the back is when riding on old railroad beds that have been converted to atv trails.Don't forget where I live you can see for miles, that's because it's flat not because your on top a mountain.As far as extra weight, it won't be more than 200 LB. added on it ,I eliminated over 50 LB. taking the rack off ,the cage and seats will weigh less than 100 plus the seats are2" lower than the rack was, oldest grandchild is 50 LB. When I started this idea I Goggled RZR rear seat, If you want to see something scary look at theses, and people are selling them, that's the scarcest part

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
WOW I like the Idea! I will have to watch this thread!

@p500fan I have a buddy that has a two seater razor 800 and he bought a middle seat for the 1-2 year old, he rides right above the arm console. just a thought.
Actually, I was thinking about installing a carseat for the baby, and tying the wife to the rear rack. However, the wife said that Chevy Chase had already did that with his wife's aunt, and I wasn't being original. Ha!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
yeah it would work but then you have to worry about the wife not thinking your funny anymore!

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
WIN 20151128 144622 WIN 20151128 144240 WIN 20151128 144727 Got the 4 main supports done, added in 4 cross members in each one and slide rails for the seats, covered with 1/4 plastic and mounted seats, had to make the floor board on the passenger side at a 45 degree because of gas tank,I could keep it flat on drivers side.Two of the granddaughters stopped by had them try the seats out.They worked out great, they couldn't stop giggling.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@iowaguy I'll give you an A for innovation but I see 3 things though that makes me ask myself a question.

Is there enough clearance between the tires and rear seat pan at full compression?

Does the angle of the metal where the lower legs rest would make it hard to use your feet / legs to stay put? Having 50" SXS myself they tend to rock side to side with even moderate bumps and I'm talking under 15 mph.

The last is the location of the exhaust between the seats, does it get pretty warm there?

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
@iowaguy I'll give you an A for innovation but I see 3 things though that makes me ask myself a question.

Is there enough clearance between the tires and rear seat pan at full compression?

Does the angle of the metal where the lower legs rest would make it hard to use your feet / legs to stay put? Having 50" SXS myself they tend to rock side to side with even moderate bumps and I'm talking under 15 mph.

The last is the location of the exhaust between the seats, does it get pretty warm there?
All good questions,I have 6 1/2" of tire clearance. Your feet sit flat on the floor on drivers side and at a45 degree on passenger side, your legs don't touch the angle at all, its only 12" from top of seat to floor board and as for heat I will be using an aluminum plate with heat retardant backing on drivers side.

Reactions: makac132
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well, it certainly looks pretty sweet for getting some smaller riders seat time as long as they safely stay put while in motion. Definitely thinking outside the box for a P500. :D

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well, it certainly looks pretty sweet for getting some smaller riders seat time as long as they safely stay put while in motion. Definitely thinking outside the box for a P500. :D
Thanks,I hope it works out ok for me.If not I'll have to tweak it until it does.That why it's all bolted together.

Reactions: JACKAL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!