P500 Pioneer 500/700 for Plowing snow

F

Fishin_Chip

I am considering purchasing a P500 for plowing snow, or possibly a P700. I currently use a Grizzly 550 with a 60" Warn county style plow. I have 2km (1.25 mi) road plus some driveway/yard to keep clean. I like the county style plow because it throws the snow a bit further off of the road if you get a little speed up. I am thinking the UTV would add a little weight, maybe give me the capability to deal with a heavy snowfall a little better.

I would be equipping my machine with a 66" county plow (for the P500, probably a 72" if I end up with a P700). I would add a full cab and heater (Alumite for P500, possibly OEM for the P700)

So, I have a few questions for those of you currently using a comparable setup:
1. Will this be an upgrade for me?
2. Do you run OEM tires? I was thinking an 8 ply might stand up better. Any thoughts?
3. Probably end up with another Warn plow, although I will see if the Denali is an option locally. From what I can find here on the forums, both have their adherents. I welcome feedback here too.
4. Are there any other issues I should consider as I move forward?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers!

Chip

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I would probably lean towards the 700 , and more specifically the deluxe model because of the power steering and the paddle shift. The extra weight, front diff. lock and ability to handle a bigger plow than the 500, would get the job done faster and easier. The 700 is geared taller so you would have a faster reverse which is always nice for plowing. Then you also have the added benefit of a dump bed to throw some extra weight in and nicer for chores around the yard.
The OEM tires would do fine. Most people run them until they need replaced then worry about going to better tires.
If you went with a Warn plow, no need to buy the Honda accessory plow, as you can buy the Warn branded equivalent on Amazon or ebay and save some money.

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
L
I am considering purchasing a P500 for plowing snow, or possibly a P700. I currently use a Grizzly 550 with a 60" Warn county style plow. I have 2km (1.25 mi) road plus some driveway/yard to keep clean. I like the county style plow because it throws the snow a bit further off of the road if you get a little speed up. I am thinking the UTV would add a little weight, maybe give me the capability to deal with a heavy snowfall a little better.

I would be equipping my machine with a 66" county plow (for the P500, probably a 72" if I end up with a P700). I would add a full cab and heater (Alumite for P500, possibly OEM for the P700)

2. Do you run OEM tires? I was thinking an 8 ply might stand up better. Any thoughts?
3. Probably end up with another Warn plow, although I will see if the Denali is an option locally. From what I can find here on the forums, both have their adherents. I welcome feedback here too.

Cheers!

Chip

I use a p500 for plowing, I have the Honda doors to seal it up and they do a pretty good job I also have a Milwaukee tool heated jacket and a heated car seat I can plug in if I need it but find the Milwaukee jacket keeps me plenty warm, the p500 is completely stock down to the tires and does a good job of plowing, I have no complaints with the 500, however I’m not really happy with the plow, it mounts under the 500 and is a pain to get on and off, wish I would have purchased the Honda front mount plow for it, this is the kolpin plow I have and adjust from 60” to 72” I keep it at 60 as my 500 lives in a shed that has narrow doors..
Here’s the plow UTV Kolpin Switchblade™ Universal Snow Plow System | Kolpin

75F12BC6 EC6B 4C0B 97E0 B55E11E22C45

EC30B87D 22D2 4FB8 8220 37020AE1CC11

Last edited:
S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
We have had our share of snow in Washington in the last few days, and my 500 has done a great job plowing steep and flat driveways. In the last 3 days I have put 15 miles on plowing my driveway and my neighbors. have a KFI plow and winch setup that has worked flawlessly.

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
Is
We have had our share of snow in Washington in the last few days, and my 500 has done a great job plowing steep and flat driveways. In the last 3 days I have put 15 miles on plowing my driveway and my neighbors. have a KFI plow and winch setup that has worked flawlessly.

Is that kfi plow a front mount? I’m thinking I will replace this plow for the next season, I was looking to buy the Honda plow and hoping to get a deal on it if I purchase it in May or June.

We’ve had about 25” of snow in the last week, happy I’m not in the city I don’t know where I’d put it

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Cheers!

Chip
P500 - Plowing w/the P5

Reactions: trigger
ALM76

ALM76

L-I-V-I-N
Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2017
Lancaster, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
What kind of Warn system do you have for the Grizzly? Is it a front or belly mount?

If Front mount, then all you would need is the mount for the P500. You'd be able to use the push tubes and plow you have. check into it.

I use a Warn 60" on mine and it's a beast. I use 8ply tires, that's a preference of where we trail ride.

With the 700 you could go with a larger plow. It's all in what you want, can't go wrong either way.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Is

Is that kfi plow a front mount? I’m thinking I will replace this plow for the next season, I was looking to buy the Honda plow and hoping to get a deal on it if I purchase it in May or June.

We’ve had about 25” of snow in the last week, happy I’m not in the city I don’t know where I’d put it
Yes I have the KFI front mount, the KFI plow system hooked to a winch is great...

Reactions: trigger
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
more weight the better when you are talking plows or traction, and like he said you get locker, bunch more room, bed, and eps available. which i never cared about, steers pretty decent. tires were decent traction but too short for trails. i got 27 mud lite 2, they are heavy wall radial that does great in the mud and snow, pretty reasonable for a brand name tire and ride smooth

Reactions: Glock21user
F

Fishin_Chip

So, the P500 is in the garage. I found a slightly used (341 km) 2017 model. It came with a home-built mount compatible with the mid-mount (ProVantage) Warn ATV plow. I have moved my 60" county plow over to the Honda and plan to give it a try. If this turns out to be the snow moving machine I hope it is, I will add a cab and upgrade the plow for next season.

I do have another question though - swirling snow was an issue with my ATV, both for the belt drive and for engine air intake. While the P500 doesn't have a belt, I am still concerned about sucking snow into the engine. Is this an issue? Do I need to make any modifications to prevent this? What, if anything, have you guys done?

Thanks in advance.

Chip

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, the P500 is in the garage. I found a slightly used (341 km) 2017 model. It came with a home-built mount compatible with the mid-mount (ProVantage) Warn ATV plow. I have moved my 60" county plow over to the Honda and plan to give it a try. If this turns out to be the snow moving machine I hope it is, I will add a cab and upgrade the plow for next season.

I do have another question though - swirling snow was an issue with my ATV, both for the belt drive and for engine air intake. While the P500 doesn't have a belt, I am still concerned about sucking snow into the engine. Is this an issue? Do I need to make any modifications to prevent this? What, if anything, have you guys done?

Thanks in advance.

Chip
Stock intake is right between the rack and rear of the cage. A lot of guys snorkel it up to the roof as an insurance policy against water intrusion for trail riding, but for plowing honestly if you just covered that intake with some pantyhose material it isn't going to ingest swirling snow. Simple, cheap and something you can keep an eye on to judge if you need to do more.

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running a Koplin switchblade on my p5, I bought the ATV version built to 60” rather than the UTV version because the p5 is basically an ATV size frame. The only difference I could see was the length of the push tubes.. The frame bracket fit perfectly just behind the a arms next to the vertical frame rail, which is a very strong reinforced area.. With this location and the angle of the front bumper skid plate, I have 22” of lift for stacking.

5A635A62 2636 499A BCF6 32FA88119ABA 32BC7654 219D 40A0 A26D 3485D5C6FE7E

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running a Koplin switchblade on my p5, I bought the ATV version built to 60” rather than the UTV version because the p5 is basically an ATV size frame. The only difference I could see was the length of the push tubes.. The frame bracket fit perfectly just behind the a arms next to the vertical frame rail, which is a very strong reinforced area.. With this location and the angle of the front bumper skid plate, I have 22” of lift for stacking.

View attachment 172613 View attachment 172614

1A333FBF 500C 44C7 8D40 BD9214CF1F91 606D6BB6 9724 4334 90E5 6F474CD01B18 CAD583A7 41B6 4E93 B6C8 5A529FF5A00E 358E4994 0A65 4A07 8740 B1E54BCA52E9 A5180156 8EC9 48EC 9B6F D40A8E65ECC2 A0016A93 564F 45A5 99B5 F22B21C8DA43 1B1769AA 404D 402F 9439 7BB207717F09 3D579D34 84E4 471E AAD0 F257EE952BCC

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
L

I use a p500 for plowing, I have the Honda doors to seal it up and they do a pretty good job I also have a Milwaukee tool heated jacket and a heated car seat I can plug in if I need it but find the Milwaukee jacket keeps me plenty warm, the p500 is completely stock down to the tires and does a good job of plowing, I have no complaints with the 500, however I’m not really happy with the plow, it mounts under the 500 and is a pain to get on and off, wish I would have purchased the Honda front mount plow for it, this is the kolpin plow I have and adjust from 60” to 72” I keep it at 60 as my 500 lives in a shed that has narrow doors..

View attachment 108034

View attachment 108035

M

Madness

Nov 23, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
How much lift do you get with the Utv version mid mounted? It looks low? I used the ATV version, mounted it forward and get 22”.

Reactions: Badblubug
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
How much lift do you get with the Utv version mid mounted? It looks low? I used the ATV version, mounted it forward and get 22”.

I’m not sure, probably a foot, it’s enough... but I don’t like the mid mount because I drop the plow and trail ride in the winter and am not fond of laying on cold concrete to pull the pins to get it off, going back on is worse... I’d never buy this plow again
Your set up looks like the way to go with this plow

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
L

View attachment 108034

View attachment 108035
Hey Badbug were discussing this topic about the Kolpin plow on another thread.Did you buy the ATV or the UTV version...

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Badbug were discussing this topic about the Kolpin plow on another thread.Did you buy the ATV or the UTV version...

I purchased the utv version and am definitely not a fan of it, other than removing the plow for trail riding the plow mount hangs to low when the plow is on, the mount it’s self is ok but the push tubes connected to the mount leaves about 2” of ground clearance.
I can take a pic on Saturday if you’d like to see what it looks like

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!