Pioneer vs Talon feedback

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all, I have had a 2020 Pioneer 1k5 deluxe for a little over 4 years now. I purchased it new, and I think it has around 2000 miles currently. I'm thinking of making the switch to a Talon X4 live valve and am looking for some feedback from those who have had (or have significant time riding) both. I have not driven a Talon yet which is part of the reason for the post as well. I searched the site and really didnt find what I was looking for so here goes. First off let me just say that I love my Pioneer, it has done everything I have asked of it and more, the issues I have with it are mainly comfort related. I have also always found the handling on the Pioneer somewhat underwhelming. A couple months ago when I picked up a new TRX90 for my youngest, the dealer I purchased from had several Talons on their lot so I checked a couple out. I should have driven one but I didnt. I noticed the seats and seat positions are much more comfortable than the Pioneer. We are an atv family and love trail riding together in the Pioneer. One of the main issues is my kids are getting old enough that the back seats on the Pioneer are not comfortable for them anymore, not to mention the rear seat heat. Uncomfy kids and wife means nobody wants to ride. We mainly ride trails in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'm looking for feedback on the Pioneer vs Talon in a few areas:

General comfort
Back seat comfort
Under seat heat (mainly back seat)
Ride quality
Handling
Performance
Things you dont like (if any) on the Talon vs Pioneer
Things you dont like (if any) on the Pioneer vs Talon

Any other areas you might think relevant to my concerns with the Pioneer. Thanks very much in advance.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Really no comparison between the two.
2 completely different machines. I have both but a 2 seater TalonX have had my P1 8yrs. Love that pioneer. Use it for everything and have been everywhere access the country with it. Moded the hell out of it as close as you can get to a Trail rig but its still a Farm rig. The Talon has better seats, shock/suspension travel and you can just trail ride it all day. The mods are also endless. We rarely us the P1 anymore to the point im contemplating getting rid of it and buying a better tractor Id use more often.
Just remember, we are all different on the way we do things.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had my '21 Talon R2 for four years and have 14,740 miles on it. Saying I love it would be this decade's biggest understatement. 😍 Recently retired dirt biker, first SxS and this dual range, six speed, paddle shiftin' dirt kart will keep me exploring the backcountry for the rest of my life.

RE comfort - the Talon has 17" front, 20" rear travel ... the Pioneer doesn't. :oops:

12,500 feet -

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey all, I have had a 2020 Pioneer 1k5 deluxe for a little over 4 years now. I purchased it new, and I think it has around 2000 miles currently. I'm thinking of making the switch to a Talon X4 live valve and am looking for some feedback from those who have had (or have significant time riding) both. I have not driven a Talon yet which is part of the reason for the post as well. I searched the site and really didnt find what I was looking for so here goes. First off let me just say that I love my Pioneer, it has done everything I have asked of it and more, the issues I have with it are mainly comfort related. I have also always found the handling on the Pioneer somewhat underwhelming. A couple months ago when I picked up a new TRX90 for my youngest, the dealer I purchased from had several Talons on their lot so I checked a couple out. I should have driven one but I didnt. I noticed the seats and seat positions are much more comfortable than the Pioneer. We are an atv family and love trail riding together in the Pioneer. One of the main issues is my kids are getting old enough that the back seats on the Pioneer are not comfortable for them anymore, not to mention the rear seat heat. Uncomfy kids and wife means nobody wants to ride. We mainly ride trails in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'm looking for feedback on the Pioneer vs Talon in a few areas:

General comfort
Back seat comfort
Under seat heat (mainly back seat)
Ride quality
Handling
Performance
Things you dont like (if any) on the Talon vs Pioneer
Things you dont like (if any) on the Pioneer vs Talon

Any other areas you might think relevant to my concerns with the Pioneer. Thanks very much in advance.
For your comparison I think @Coeus, @gparks or @Plumber32 are some of the guys that can give you a fair comparison. All three have gone from a P1K to a Talon. I'm not sure how old your kids are, mine are 9 and 10. A few years ago I installed a set of RZR bucket seats in the back for them along with the existing 4 point harnesses and it made a tremendous difference in comfort for the rear passengers. The P1K will NEVER be a Talon but you can sure modify them enough to get the most use out of them.

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had my '21 Talon R2 for four years and have 14,740 miles on it. Saying I love it would be this decade's biggest understatement. 😍 Recently retired dirt biker, first SxS and this dual range, six speed, paddle shiftin' dirt kart will keep me exploring the backcountry for the rest of my life.

RE comfort - the Talon has 17" front, 20" rear travel ... the Pioneer doesn't. :oops:

View attachment 441080
View attachment 441074

View attachment 441075

12,500 feet -
View attachment 441076

View attachment 441077

View attachment 441078

View attachment 441079
Thanks for the info and awesome pics, is that Utah or where?

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For your comparison I think @Coeus, @gparks or @Plumber32 are some of the guys that can give you a fair comparison. All three have gone from a P1K to a Talon. I'm not sure how old your kids are, mine are 9 and 10. A few years ago I installed a set of RZR bucket seats in the back for them along with the existing 4 point harnesses and it made a tremendous difference in comfort for the rear passengers. The P1K will NEVER be a Talon but you can sure modify them enough to get the most use out of them.
Thanks, I have looked into that very mod some, how do the rzr seats mount to the pioneer?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
I have been fortunate enough to start with a Pioneer 700, then move up to a P1k LE. Then pickup a 2 seat Talon X when they came out. When the 4 seat Talon R4 was announced I pick one up and ABSOLUTLY love this machine. The 4 seat Talon is comfortable, nimble, fun and passengers have a great seating position for riding.
I have actually traded in my 2 seat X and sold my LE to pretty much exclusively use the Talon for all our trail riding and my annual Overland trip.
The wife and I have approximately 6000 trail miles total between these machines.
She loves the Talon ride and secure feel and safety.

The Talon is not a good farm/ranch machine but is a awesome trail machine.

20230729 091901 20230805 200618

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks, I have looked into that very mod some, how do the rzr seats mount to the pioneer?
Mine are through bolted to the frame of the bed, not the mod with just the seat bottoms, I have the entire bucket seats installed. You could probably modify/install the original quick release latches the RZR seat come with but I hardly ever use the bed of my P1K so it wasn't a need for me. I can unblock the seats to remove in about 3 minutes, I've done it a few times but not often, the bed still dumps for access to underneath. This was by far one of the best mods I've done to keep the fam happy. Kids are WAY more comfortable and the sides help keep them more in place when riding the rough trails.

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been fortunate enough to start with a Pioneer 700, then move up to a P1k LE. Then pickup a 2 seat Talon X when they came out. When the 4 seat Talon R4 was announced I pick one up and ABSOLUTLY love this machine. The 4 seat Talon is comfortable, nimble, fun and passengers have a great seating position for riding.
I have actually traded in my 2 seat X and sold my LE to pretty much exclusively use the Talon for all our trail riding and my annual Overland trip.
The wife and I have approximately 6000 trail miles total between these machines.
She loves the Talon ride and secure feel and safety.

The Talon is not a good farm/ranch machine but is a awesome trail machine.

View attachment 441083 View attachment 441084
That's awesome, thanks for the info. Do the 4 seat talons have rear seat heat like the pioneer 1k5? I am glad to hear the ride is better in the talon, the few times my wife has ridden in the back of the 1k5 she said the ride was, let's just say poor....I cant quote her exact language here....

advertisement
Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine are through bolted to the frame of the bed, not the mod with just the seat bottoms, I have the entire bucket seats installed. You could probably modify/install the original quick release latches the RZR seat come with but I hardly ever use the bed of my P1K so it wasn't a need for me. I can unblock the seats to remove in about 3 minutes, I've done it a few times but not often, the bed still dumps for access to underneath. This was by far one of the best mods I've done to keep the fam happy. Kids are WAY more comfortable and the sides help keep them more in place when riding the rough trails.
That's great, any chance you have a link to the build on that mod? Thanks

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
That's awesome, thanks for the info. Do the 4 seat talons have rear seat heat like the pioneer 1k5? I am glad to hear the ride is better in the talon, the few times my wife has ridden in the back of the 1k5 she said the ride was, let's just say poor....I cant quote her exact language here....
I would say there is 80 -90% less heat in the Talon seating positions. There is still heat but nothing like the P1k. I live in Central Texas, so it's always hot here!

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That's great, any chance you have a link to the build on that mod? Thanks
I haven't done a great job of documenting everything in my build thread but here's some pics of what I did. Pretty simple and haven't had a problem in almost 4 years. But like I mentioned, if you use your bed often I would suggest a quicker way of removing the seats. Few minutes each side isn't a deal breaker for me but if I used the bed on a daily basis I wouldn't want to mess with the bolts.
4fb04af5 c2d0 4fa8 881c 5c92340420b7 1 all 5518
4fb04af5 c2d0 4fa8 881c 5c92340420b7 1 all 5514
4fb04af5 c2d0 4fa8 881c 5c92340420b7 1 all 5515
4fb04af5 c2d0 4fa8 881c 5c92340420b7 1 all 5512

I've rode in the back and it's way better then the stock seats, this helps the angle of your knees when sitting down. This along with the many other small mods to mediate heat, dust, noise, etc make it much more enjoyable for the rear passengers. When we ride in areas like TN, a 10-12 hr riding day is common and kids hardly ever complain about comfort in the back seats.

Now, all this being said..........a Talon is BADASS 😂😂 there's really no comparison so if you want one and have the green light then I'd definitely switch or like many around here do and keep the P1K and still get a Talon 😂😂😂😂😂

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't done a great job of documenting everything in my build thread but here's some pics of what I did. Pretty simple and haven't had a problem in almost 4 years. But like I mentioned, if you use your bed often I would suggest a quicker way of removing the seats. Few minutes each side isn't a deal breaker for me but if I used the bed on a daily basis I wouldn't want to mess with the bolts.
View attachment 441085View attachment 441086View attachment 441087View attachment 441088

I've rode in the back and it's way better then the stock seats, this helps the angle of your knees when sitting down. This along with the many other small mods to mediate heat, dust, noise, etc make it much more enjoyable for the rear passengers. When we ride in areas like TN, a 10-12 hr riding day is common and kids hardly ever complain about comfort in the back seats.

Now, all this being said..........a Talon is BADASS 😂😂 there's really no comparison so if you want one and have the green light then I'd definitely switch or like many around here do and keep the P1K and still get a Talon 😂😂😂😂😂
Thanks for the awesome pics and info. That said, keeping the 1k5 and buying a talon is not really an option or I wouldn't have had to start this thread....😎

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Really no comparison between the two.
2 completely different machines. I have both but a 2 seater TalonX have had my P1 8yrs. Love that pioneer. Use it for everything and have been everywhere access the country with it. Moded the hell out of it as close as you can get to a Trail rig but its still a Farm rig. The Talon has better seats, shock/suspension travel and you can just trail ride it all day. The mods are also endless. We rarely us the P1 anymore to the point im contemplating getting rid of it and buying a better tractor Id use more often.
Just remember, we are all different on the way we do things.

@Bow4life, my experience pretty much mirrors that of @Remington (above). In fact, I blame him - at least in part - for why I bought the '23 Talon just a couple years after the '21 P1K5.

I've modded my P1K5 to be as much of a trail machine as possible (well in excess of $12K in mods), but it doesn't compare to the Talon on the trail (which, full disclosure, has also been heavily modded, but not to the extent of the P1K5). I actually would have opted for the 4-seater, but Mrs Scoop wanted the 2-seater, so ... we know how that works.

I do still have both as well, but not sure keeping a heavily modded P1K5 around for use around the property/house is the best option. Time will tell.

Good luck with your decision.

Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Bow4life, my experience pretty much mirrors that of @Remington (above). In fact, I blame him - at least in part - for why I bought the '23 Talon just a couple years after the '21 P1K5.

I've modded my P1K5 to be as much of a trail machine as possible (well in excess of $12K in mods), but it doesn't compare to the Talon on the trail (which, full disclosure, has also been heavily modded, but not to the extent of the P1K5). I actually would have opted for the 4-seater, but Mrs Scoop wanted the 2-seater, so ... we know how that works.

I do still have both as well, but not sure keeping a heavily modded P1K5 around for use around the property/house is the best option. Time will tell.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks @Scoop, this is great info. I appreciate all the help. I'm starting to lean towards a talon more based on everyone's experiences. I think it may suit my current needs without significant modification. My 1k5 has been modded too but more adding lights, second battery, etc. No suspension changes. I feel like many people on here have gone from the pioneer to the talon but not the other way.

advertisement