Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
[Q UOTE="ehart814, post: 97318, member: 4310"]Anyone who has a Honda accessory windshield (or probably any other brand) that isn't hard coated knows that they scratch if you look at them wrong. Mine has gotten horrible. I had been meaning to try the Novus system on it for quite a while, and I finally ordered it:

https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Last night I experimented with it for a few minutes. I have one of these little DA buffers that works with a drill:

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G3500-Power-System-Tool/dp/B009OBVRY4/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I had a new pad that I hadn't used, so I put that on and use the number 3 bottle (for deep scratches)

Spent a few minutes running the buffer on the worst area of the windshield. Wiped off the compound with a clean microfiber, and repeated. I did not do the whole windshield.

After wiping the compound off again, I could see that the scratches were noticeably lighter and much of the hazing and light scratches had cleared up significantly. I have not even used the number 2 bottle for a better polish.

Tonight I plan to spend some more time on it and see how much better I can get it. I'm really happy with the results so far

I have been told that you can use a propane torch to take scratches out...Anyone tried it

Let me know how that polish works as you continue the process. The bottom part of my 2 piece Honda windshield ( the piece that is not hardcoated on the hardcoated windshield:eek:) had a reaction to chemicals that caused it to fog up on the passengers side - I tried an off the shelf headlight kit on it but had the most success using a heat gun. You do have to be careful with the heat gun but just take your time and test out on the edges first. I was able to get back more visibility but it is still a little distorted. Visibility went from 15% to about 85%.

While I accept that I knew the bottom was non hardcoated, while the top is hardcoated I did not expect it to have a reaction to some deep woods off as it did. I tried to order the bottom piece but they will not sell separately - have to buy whole whildshield which If/when I do I will get the super atv flip up one.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Let me know how that polish works as you continue the process. The bottom part of my 2 piece Honda windshield ( the piece that is not hardcoated on the hardcoated windshield:eek:) had a reaction to chemicals that caused it to fog up on the passengers side - I tried an off the shelf headlight kit on it but had the most success using a heat gun. You do have to be careful with the heat gun but just take your time and test out on the edges first. I was able to get back more visibility but it is still a little distorted. Visibility went from 15% to about 85%.

While I accept that I knew the bottom was non hardcoated, while the top is hardcoated I did not expect it to have a reaction to some deep woods off as it did. I tried to order the bottom piece but they will not sell separately - have to buy whole whildshield which If/when I do I will get the super atv flip up one.
That Deep Woods Off is some nasty stuff,l sprayed some behind my ears once and that night when I took my glasses off I noticed it had melted into the plastic ear pieces, but it does work good for mosquitoes!!

Reactions: rocmar
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
I have excellent results using Meguires M101 and M201 compounds with foam buffing pads on a orbital buffer. Works great to restore Jeep soft top windows and rag top rear plastic windows. A little goes along way. I would suspect it would work on the lexan/plexiglass windshields that are not Hardcoated.

Another product to look into is CQuartz DLux Wheel, plastic and trim coating. It is hydrophobic and sheds water. I have used it for years on my plastic headlights, plastic trim and wheels on my vehicles. Excellent product, lasts typically about 2 years.

If anyone is local to SA TX and has a messed up windshield they want worked over I’d be happy to experiment with it and see if it’s a viable solution. I don’t run a windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!