lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Any body running the SSS skid with the up turned edge?
I had an idea for what I wanted to make but that was before when I didn't see anything close to what I wanted.
I'm opinionated and probably should just design my own SxS the way I want it.
But I saw the new SSS skid and it's 80% what I want.
Seams like a good starting point.

Any one have one?
Your take on it?

Image off there website showing the up turned edge:
Screenshot 20210423 223718

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had an idea for what I wanted to make but that was before when I didn't see anything close to what I wanted.

Any one have one?
Your take on it?

View attachment 268169
I has the SSS skids on my P500, of course it was the original version without the optional turned up sides. Looking closely at the picture you posted it appears to be a separate piece, as in a flange goes between frame and main skid and edges piece attached to flange?

If you get around to designing a sxs please do something about the heat, dust, noise, KRX fan bois, run 32" tires without modification, and geared accordingly.

Oh and cup holders that hold something bigger than 8oz white claw cans. 😆

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV

Any one have one?
Your take on it?

View attachment 268169

@lee ....
I've been running my SSS skid with the slider edges for about a year now. Very tuff unit. I've beat the crap out of mine-surfed over rocks way bigger than my tires, Drove up deep rocky creeks, slid over trees, etc. No telling how much damage I've saved by having it. I picked it up at their factory in SLC(25 Min drive for me) and met the guys doing the builds. Good bunch of guts there. Very nice fit - I do recommend buying a few extra bolts and washers so they are on hand if you shave one off on a bolder pile -LOL. They do use the stock hardware and stock holes.
WB

BTW-Cut up your old stock skid and rivet to the fender wells to protect passenger and driver from sticks going through the firewall.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
@lee ....
I've been running my SSS skid with the slider edges for about a year now. Very tuff unit. I've beat the crap out of mine-surfed over rocks way bigger than my tires, Drove up deep rocky creeks, slid over trees, etc. No telling how much damage I've saved by having it. I picked it up at their factory in SLC(25 Min drive for me) and met the guys doing the builds. Good bunch of guts there. Very nice fit - I do recommend buying a few extra bolts and washers so they are on hand if you shave one off on a bolder pile -LOL. They do use the stock hardware and stock holes.
WB

BTW-Cut up your old stock skid and rivet to the fender wells to protect passenger and driver from sticks going through the firewall.
Do the SSS skids not come with hardware? I just ordered a full set for the p52 but thought it came with mounting hardware. I'm gonna have to purchase some extras as my dealer didn't feel the need to tighten any of the bolts during their initial setup, and now they're MIA.

Reactions: J80
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@lee ....
I've been running my SSS skid with the slider edges for about a year now.

Thank you @WillyBill
I knew there would be some on along that have the information I needed!
Already ordered a set, they have a few week delay just now so hoping they come before the TakeOver.

As for regurgitating the stock skids, I don't think that will work.
After following @Hondasxs and @JACKAL around a few too many times the stockers are a little beat up.
Who knew they would be a consumable like tires and brake pads?

Photo of the skids from last weekend (stolen from the Ohio Perry state forest ride report).
My fenders are showing some wear too....

My plan is to order some of the new inner fender protectors off the new P520.
Hard to find a picture on line, this is just off the net:

There is an upper and a lower part.
My plan is to use the upper and see if I cant get it to play nice with the SSS skid.

This is a parts phish image, #3&4 are the upper section I plan to use:

I saw some of these on a vehicle and the plastic is really thick and formed to fit the inside of the fender.
Mounting is simple with a few push pins and a bolt to the frame rail (easy to reach inside and put a nut on it).

Reactions: alekos557
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
The hardware they come with is only the extra items required beyond the factory furnished ones. Be sure to use blue loctite on the ones on the edge that screw into the round tube on the sides. The tubes are thin wall and strip terribly easy. Don’t ask me how I know, lol. After you strip them you can use coarse thread sheet metal screws just slightly larger but they still jeed the loctite.
WB

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Does SSS offer any sort of discount or promo code for forum members?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're probably not going to believe this, but we just got the approval back for #NTC for a zero percent discount to be used on their site.

In all seriousness though I've not seen a forum discount mentioned for them, but sometimes a call or an email before you order will score you a little savings.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
They did last year, I got 5% off by emailing them and asking about it. They also had some black friday sales, but it was something like "order a crapton of stuff ($600+ or something) and get $50 off"... i don't remember exactly what it worked out to, but for what I wanted (just the basic skidplate) was cheaper with the 5% off.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

Has anyone purchased and used the SuperATV version of the skid plate? It appears to be made out of the same material as the SSS but for half the cost. Normally, I would look at this situation and tell myself; "you get way you pay for..." but $900 for the SSS and $399 for the Super ATV version makes me question if the SSS can be that good.

Thanks,

Rob

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Hi,

Has anyone purchased and used the SuperATV version of the skid plate? It appears to be made out of the same material as the SSS but for half the cost. Normally, I would look at this situation and tell myself; "you get way you pay for..." but $900 for the SSS and $399 for the Super ATV version makes me question if the SSS can be that good.

Thanks,

Rob
Did you get an answer Rob ? All I see is blah blah about the SSS .

Reactions: crewcabrob
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you @WillyBill
I knew there would be some on along that have the information I needed!
Already ordered a set, they have a few week delay just now so hoping they come before the TakeOver.

As for regurgitating the stock skids, I don't think that will work.
After following @Hondasxs and @JACKAL around a few too many times the stockers are a little beat up.
Who knew they would be a consumable like tires and brake pads?

Photo of the skids from last weekend (stolen from the Ohio Perry state forest ride report).
My fenders are showing some wear too....
View attachment 269280

My plan is to order some of the new inner fender protectors off the new P520.
Hard to find a picture on line, this is just off the net:

View attachment 269277

There is an upper and a lower part.
My plan is to use the upper and see if I cant get it to play nice with the SSS skid.

This is a parts phish image, #3&4 are the upper section I plan to use:
View attachment 269278
I saw some of these on a vehicle and the plastic is really thick and formed to fit the inside of the fender.
Mounting is simple with a few push pins and a bolt to the frame rail (easy to reach inside and put a nut on it).
When are we going back to perry. As small as the place is its fun to get together for a small group ride. We can't fault you for that flop as you were the passenger laying in the mud lol.

Reactions: lee
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
FYI....SSS maintains the other brands that appear less expensive are not the same material-but instead are blends. Call SSS and ask the manager and hear his version. And 1/2 price is an exaggeration!!!LOL
WB

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I don't know about the cheaper brands, but I can tell you that the first time you crash down on a monster rock with the SSS skids, you will forget all about their cost. They are worth every penny.

Reactions: denone and lee
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
FYI....SSS maintains the other brands that appear less expensive are not the same material-but instead are blends. Call SSS and ask the manager and hear his version. And 1/2 price is an exaggeration!!!LOL
WB
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, not trying to start a war but this was not an exaggeration

The top image is from Amazon and the second is going straight to SSS because I don't know of any retailers that sell it.

Rob

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, not trying to start a war but this was not an exaggeration

View attachment 320418

View attachment 320421

The top image is from Amazon and the second is going straight to SSS because I don't know of any retailers that sell it.

Rob
Following! Getting ready to order skid plates and I am asking the same question. Is the SSS really worth the additional $600?

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I don't know about the cheaper brands, but I can tell you that the first time you crash down on a monster rock with the SSS skids, you will forget all about their cost. They are worth every penny.
Do these skid plates bolt into factory hole or is there drilling required?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Do these skid plates bolt into factory hole or is there drilling required?
85% mount in the existing holes. 15% require drilling. Basically, you bolt them into place in the stock location to hold them. Then bend the various wings into place and drill/tap a hole or run a self-tapper through. It's not bad at all. The biggest PITA is trying to hold them in place whilst getting the stock bolts started. I winched mine up a tree to get better access to the underside.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!