P500 Please educate me...

U

uncyboo

Nov 23, 2016
Shelby, Montana
Ownership

1. 500
ITP lists a steel wheel for the Yamaha Viking 12x7 with 4x110 bolt pattern 4 +3 offset, same size center and according to Rocky Mt takes the same lug nuts. This may have been discussed before but I'm not smart enough to locate it. Would these rims not fit the 500 and if not what would disqualify them? Seems like it could be another option to spacers, however I am pretty ignorant on these issues.

J

JTW

Sounds like they should.. the only thing I'm not sure about is the offset.. the wheels I bought were 5+2 12x7 4-110

U

uncyboo

Nov 23, 2016
Shelby, Montana
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like they should.. the only thing I'm not sure about is the offset.. the wheels I bought were 5+2 12x7 4-110
Well that's kinda my point. If I'm understanding offset correctly, wouldn't the 4 + 3 offset take the rubber out another inch per wheel as opposed to 5 + 2?

Reactions: SBuckJ
U

uncyboo

Nov 23, 2016
Shelby, Montana
Ownership

1. 500
Well that's kinda my point. If I'm understanding offset correctly, wouldn't the 4 + 3 offset take the rubber out another inch per wheel as opposed to 5 + 2?
I mean, from what I read on these forums 5 + 2 is pretty much a standard, but then many additionally use spacers for a wider footprint. Wouldn't a 4 + 3 offset accomplish the same thing as a 5 + 2 with a 1" spacer?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
ITP lists a steel wheel for the Yamaha Viking 12x7 with 4x110 bolt pattern 4 +3 offset, same size center and according to Rocky Mt takes the same lug nuts. This may have been discussed before but I'm not smart enough to locate it. Would these rims not fit the 500 and if not what would disqualify them? Seems like it could be another option to spacers, however I am pretty ignorant on these issues.
Spacers are cheaper...
so if a guy...has wheels & tires...
but needs to get more stable
because his riding terrain..
has change..spacers are the way
....to go.
I've seen all kinds of off sets
in my day...get wat works for
Your liking...
experiment. ...

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I mean, from what I read on these forums 5 + 2 is pretty much a standard, but then many additionally use spacers for a wider footprint. Wouldn't a 4 + 3 offset accomplish the same thing as a 5 + 2 with a 1" spacer?
I've seen guys flip there wheels...
which suck um in one way
....push um out the other...
back in the day....there's a few
guys on here..that are more
knowledgeable. ..
let us know & show pics
when ya. ...get it fingered
out

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Offset wheels are definitely a better means of increasing width, but they come at an expense about double that of spacers so you have to consider that when you are deciding.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Ask Rocky Mnt. if they say no . skip it . If they yes , go for it , then if they don't they will take it or them back and pay the shipping . This is experience talking .

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ask Rocky Mnt. if they say no . skip it . If they yes , go for it , then if they don't they will take it or them back and pay the shipping . This is experience talking .
Yep, RMATV is very good. I'd ask by email.

advertisement
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
You are right....and spacers are much cheaper however if you were buying wheels anyhow, that 4+3 would do just as you say at no added cost over a 5+2 wheel

Reactions: JTW
U

uncyboo

Nov 23, 2016
Shelby, Montana
Ownership

1. 500
You are right....and spacers are much cheaper however if you were buying wheels anyhow, that 4+3 would do just as you say at no added cost over a 5+2 wheel
This is what I was getting at. I see many posts where folks have gotten after market wheels, seemingly almost always 5 + 2, and then add spacers. And I'm not being anti-spacer, as I don't know enough to have an opinion on that. I guess what I needed educating on is whether I'm thinking correctly or not. The last ATV I owned was a '79 or '80 model Honda 200s three wheeler. Been out of the game that long and trying to catch up. Back then there was no after market market you just put gas in the tank and went. Change the oil 4 times a year at the beginning of each season. You wore the tires out and went to the Honda shop and got 3 more of the same boring knobbies.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I was getting at. I see many posts where folks have gotten after market wheels, seemingly almost always 5 + 2, and then add spacers. And I'm not being anti-spacer, as I don't know enough to have an opinion on that. I guess what I needed educating on is whether I'm thinking correctly or not. The last ATV I owned was a '79 or '80 model Honda 200s three wheeler. Been out of the game that long and trying to catch up. Back then there was no after market market you just put gas in the tank and went. Change the oil 4 times a year at the beginning of each season. You wore the tires out and went to the Honda shop and got 3 more of the same boring knobbies.
if you were lucky you could find some wooly boogers...

J

JTW

I think it boils down to some folks trying to keep it narrow for width restricted trails and others not realizing it needs to be even wider than the 5+2 wheels will allow.

J

JTW

My question is why can I only find 12 x 7's? That works great for the front but what about the back, the tires are 11"?
I wish my wheels on the 1000 were more narrow than what they are and my front tires especially.. where wider.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!