Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I like that idea too. I'm still putting everyting together and trying to figure what I can do. The main project is to get the new bumper, which isn't here yet, and the winch mounted. I only have one battery at this time and don't plan to add another one until a little later on.
A little unsolicited advice. With you running thay heater and wench for a plow in the winter (Im assuming thays what your doing)
this is Not expensive, get you that second battery and isolator kit and run those accessories on it. Let the main battery run your machines on board elct stuff. Youll have issues sooner than u want if you dont. Dont rob Peter to Pay Paul. ;)
thats why we use the dual volt meter

Reactions: Lady01
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info here and link to the store voltmeter. I wanted to install one of these but was not sure how to do it in my rig, this kit with the relay and whatnot already to go will make it easier. I just ordered one, will post after install.

- I guess the reason it would be different than others is, my small fuse block is hot to the second battery all the time, it is not connected to the big Stinger relay so I can use accesories with key off. If I installed a dual voltmeter, the two positive leads go to the corresponding terminals on the TRU isolator. But...then they would be hot all the time. I would need to find a key'ed ground, which I don't know where that is and would need a relay which I have not wired one yet.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the info here and link to the store voltmeter. I wanted to install one of these but was not sure how to do it in my rig, this kit with the relay and whatnot already to go will make it easier. I just ordered one, will post after install.

- I guess the reason it would be different than others is, my small fuse block is hot to the second battery all the time, it is not connected to the big Stinger relay so I can use accesories with key off. If I installed a dual voltmeter, the two positive leads go to the corresponding terminals on the TRU isolator. But...then they would be hot all the time. I would need to find a key'ed ground, which I don't know where that is and would need a relay which I have not wired one yet.
If u bought that vm and relay, the included inst will show u how.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Getting a switched ground for the dual volt meter is simple using a Bosch style relay, (diagram below). Connect ground to one of the coil terminals (either 85 or 86) and also to terminal 30, the remaining coil terminal gets connected to the fuse block #5 (ACC), (I connected to the wire underneath). Now terminal 87 will provide key-switched ground when key-on.

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The plug in voltmeters, do they work well? I've run out of room to mount and indash unit. I've come up with some other mounting options but it cost more money and I'm not sure I like them.
I put one on the left of my steering wheel. Easy enough to access the back of the panel.

Reactions: Smitty335
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A little unsolicited advice. With you running thay heater and wench for a plow in the winter (Im assuming thays what your doing)
this is Not expensive, get you that second battery and isolator kit and run those accessories on it. Let the main battery run your machines on board elct stuff. Youll have issues sooner than u want if you dont. Dont rob Peter to Pay Paul. ;)
thats why we use the dual volt meter
Sorry for the reply, but no, I'm not running plow and the winch will only get used when I need it and that won't be a lot. I hope. These thing act like they'll climb a tree. I can't see getting stuck that much. Will probably use the winch on the farm hoisting dead trees to the wood splitter more than anything.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Will probably use the winch on the farm hoisting dead trees to the wood splitter more than anything.
Then yes, get that second battery set up. Doing what you said above is like having a plow and them some in most cases. That will be an awful lot on the main system If u ever go to full out max and believe me you will hoisting trees, stumps logs what have you. Not all trees are equal. Lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!