P1000m3 Power to LEDS

C

Crash14

Nov 26, 2017
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know this has probably been covered before but wth.

I have rear and front light bars and the dealer wired directly to the battery. The switches have small LED on/off lights that stay on all the time. I’ve been told that’s fine but would like yalls opinion. Should I change to operate when the key is on or what? If so, what is the best way to do it?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer my lights to be only powered with ignition power on

jnjspring15

jnjspring15

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2017
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Get you a small fuse block that has a ground bus bar with it, take your power and negative leads to the fuse block. Buy a fuse tap and tap the 15a accessories fuse and run that to the positive of the fuse block and then a neg leg to the negative post on the block. That should give you keyed on power, I wouldn’t think you’d have to change anything as far as the switches go as you’re just changing from a direct home run to a fused keyed power source.

Reactions: elkguide
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How much current do your bars draw? My guess is more than 15a combined. If so, the accessories fuse won't handle them if they are on at the same time. I installed a solenoid that triggers from the accessory wire when the ignition key is on. It feeds my 52" light bar separate from my 100a fuse block since the bar takes a 40a fuse. I didn't want to takeaway from the amperage capacity from my fuse block.

jnjspring15

jnjspring15

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2017
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ideally he’d be better off with a second battery, a isolator and a relay. Just trying to make the best of what he has already, my set up is similar but I have a solinoid that’s keyed hot from the accessory fuse but has a power leg straight off the aux battery then to the fuse block.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I know this has probably been covered before but wth.

I have rear and front light bars and the dealer wired directly to the battery. The switches have small LED on/off lights that stay on all the time. I’ve been told that’s fine but would like yalls opinion. Should I change to operate when the key is on or what? If so, what is the best way to do it?
I recommend isolating all electrical accessories by using a dual battery set up and isolator! If you choose NOT to add another battery, then I would suggest changing it to key on to avoid the constant draw on your battery from the switches!

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ideally he’d be better off with a second battery, a isolator and a relay. Just trying to make the best of what he has already, my set up is similar but I have a solinoid that’s keyed hot from the accessory fuse but has a power leg straight off the aux battery then to the fuse block.
Mines setup the same as yours with an isolator and second battery. I left that part out. I agree, I think it's the best setup.

Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The little leds do draw power over time. My switch for my stereo is wired to battery instead of fuse block.so i can run it without the key on as it counts hrs even if not running. I throw the battery tender on every week if i havent run it much. And it takes a couple hrs to top off the battery .

C

Crash14

Nov 26, 2017
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The little leds do draw power over time. My switch for my stereo is wired to battery instead of fuse block.so i can run it without the key on as it counts hrs even if not running. I throw the battery tender on every week if i havent run it much. And it takes a couple hrs to top off the battery .
I can easily unplug the connections if the sxs is gonna sit for awhile.

Reactions: Plumber32
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 13” is 73 watts and the cubes are 20 I think.
What do yall think about tap splicing both into my ignition wire?
If that's all they pull, then the 15a circuit will handle them. I was thinking they were "bigger" lights for some reason.

I have 52" bar on the front that is advertised as 300w. It is too much for a 15a circuit.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!