P1000 Pre load tool for fox shocks?

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dose anyone no where I can order the pre load tool for fox shocks can’t seem to find it

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have found that when the machine is up on stands and at full droop, you can turn the whole spring and the ring right along with it quite easily.
A set of mechanics gloves works well.
A lot easier than dealing with those clunky spanner wrenches.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have found that when the machine is up on stands and at full droop, you can turn the whole spring and the ring right along with it quite easily.
I was able to get about 1.5” of preload on the front by spinning the spring. I could not get the rear to cooperate though.

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome thanks I will try this method I ran my front down a lot a few weeks ago but my buddy had a good wrench now I gotta level buggy bring rear down some and maybe release some on front the pics are soon to come

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@sdelam did remind me that (at least with the stock springs) the rear adjusters get really hard to turn after that upper coil spring compresses.

I do remember it got a lot easier with single rate springs, but now I'm not 100% sure I was able to do them by hand either...

Reactions: Squeegee
MX4life320

MX4life320

Jan 10, 2022
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How high is everyone setting their preload? I am getting a lot of sag on mine, but Ive never adjusted it either. Only a 10-15 threads on the front, I didn't check the rear though.

TIA

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How high is everyone setting their preload? I am getting a lot of sag on mine, but Ive never adjusted it either. Only a 10-15 threads on the front, I didn't check the rear though.

TIA
Thats a loaded question. Everyone is very very different to there riding style, types of springs, tires etc.
If I told u what mine is and you do that, you wouldn't be happy!
You just have to try multiple adjustments to see what works for you. Sorry

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@sdelam did remind me that (at least with the stock springs) the rear adjusters get really hard to turn after that upper coil spring compresses.

I do remember it got a lot easier with single rate springs, but now I'm not 100% sure I was able to do them by hand either...
Just did this on all four about 2 weeks ago. I was only able to add preload (all four corners) for a few turns before I realized it would be far easier to remove them, put them in a vice, and adjust there. I even had a legit spanner tool for the job.

I can post my measurements (already did somewhere), but as others already said, everybody likes theirs set differently. I do NOT have a lift, but wanted to clear a 5 gallon bucket front to back. That meant a little more preload than most.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I used calipers and measured from the point where the shock body thread met the housing (upper arrow) to the top of the LOWER preload adjustment collar (bottom arrow). I'll have to double-check my numbers (written down out in the pole barn), but I believe they were:

Fronts: 46.75 MM
Rear: 44.5 MM

Again, I was pretty aggressive to get the clearance I wanted, and I don't think I've got too much preload set ATM. Guess I'll soon find out at TO in another two weeks ... :p

IIRC, I was able to spin the springs by hand on the fronts, but for the rears, I did have to use the spanner wrench. Even with the wrench, there was no way I was adjusting this preload without the cushions being off the machine and in my vice. If you can adjust yours without removal, my hat is off to you.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Pro Tip : When changing springs, after reassembling the shock; set your preload height (rough-in measurement, ya gotta start somewhere) before releasing the pressure on the spring.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!