Question...

J

JTW

Question..

Can I run a generator while driving down the road to power my enclosed? Curious if I can run the fridge and ac between destinations or if there will be a back feeding issue to the truck. I assume a feller wouldn't unplug the truck while parked. So I don’t see why it can’t be done. The alternator produces ac current thats converted to dc... so I’m a little confused as to whether I’ll run into issues.

The trailer was prewired and has a converter for shore power to charge the trailer battery and run the appliances. The truck will also charge the battery when connected and running down the road. But the battery only powers the interior lights. It would be nice to run the genny to have a/c and the refrigerator cooling. I’m just wanting to be sure I’m not going to run into back feeding issues on the truck when doing so. I seem to recall that shore power will supersede the truck charging but I’m then curious if I’ll have an issue with my trailer running lights. I’m thinking no.. but the breaker box and fuse panel are all one system.

Any thoughts or experience with such? It’s an InTech trailer.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anything is possible....

I know people will run their genset on motorhome while driving si as long as it’s fueled/vented/safely secured/not near anything flammable...

Sure why not give it a try and let us know the outcome.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Question..

Can I run a generator while driving down the road to power my enclosed? Curious if I can run the fridge and ac between destinations or if there will be a back feeding issue to the truck. I assume a feller wouldn't unplug the truck while parked. So I don’t see why it can’t be done. The alternator produces ac current thats converted to dc... so I’m a little confused as to whether I’ll run into issues.

The trailer was prewired and has a converter for shore power to charge the trailer battery and run the appliances. The truck will also charge the battery when connected and running down the road. But the battery only powers the interior lights. It would be nice to run the genny to have a/c and the refrigerator cooling. I’m just wanting to be sure I’m not going to run into back feeding issues on the truck when doing so. I seem to recall that shore power will supersede the truck charging but I’m then curious if I’ll have an issue with my trailer running lights. I’m thinking no.. but the breaker box and fuse panel are all one system.

Any thoughts or experience with such? It’s an InTech trailer.
It shouldn't hurt anything. Most new vehicles have the trailer circuit separate and well fused now days. Even if something shorts. If it's a concern install a switch to disconnect the trucks feed into the trailer battery. I wouldn't sweat it like you said they can't expect you to unhook from the truck every time.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can’t see where there’d be a problem. I know people start the truck to get it warmed up while plugged into running genny. Truck circuits are protected anyways.

Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Jtw
U should be able to have the breakers to ur ac/fridge wired separate fairly easy somewhat like u would do to hook up a generator to ur home so no backfeed have it wired to run from generator or outlet by way of breaker I could be wrong but I would not runn generator while truck is running ive seen alot of alternators blowed up due to overcharge it would be alot safer in my opinion

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In all seriousness, I think it depends on your converter, I run my gen set all the time when hooked to my truck, just because your key is on shouldn’t make a big difference, any modern truck has the charge wire on your trailer plug fused. So worst case something pops the fuse.

I’ve run my heater and fridge when driving, give us an up date if your fords alternator blows up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think most motorhomes have a automatic switch that switches over from shore power to generator.
Where is the generator going to be when you are towing?

J

JTW

Do you have it setup to work off a cord when you have access to power?
You can see both in this pic.. I’ll just make a short cord for it and mount the genny on the tongue platform.
BECF1574 5D93 4210 8D83 75A0E063441C

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
if you supply 110 VAC to the trailer, which will feed an inverter? the worst that can happen is that your truck will try to supply current into the trailer to bring the inverter voltage (12 volts) up to the truck voltage (13.8 volts), and possibly blow a fuse.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You can see both in this pic.. I’ll just make a short cord for it and mount the genny on the tongue platform. View attachment 166666
Do you have an inverter for the fridge? If you do why dont you install a duplex plug for the fridge. Isolate top and bottom plug, hook the top plug to the generator and the other to the the inverter. Plug in in the top while running the gen and move to lower plug when using the inverter.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!