NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There might be some 500 specific tools needed, I am not familiar enough with them to make recommendations though.

No stress. I take just in case “stuff” but I should probably really sit down and think about it like the group in here is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW, sharp and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No stress. I take just in case “stuff” but I should probably really sit down and think about it like the group in here is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of the hand tools will cross over to any machine in our line up. 500/700/1000/Talon.

Should confirm axle nut size on yours, as well as tierod if you choose to prep for those events. You may not replace an axle on the trail, but being able to remove it to reduce further damage is always a good thing.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Looking for ideas on a minimalist kit with essentials for day rides. Need a gawd damn cargo trailer to haul all the s*** in this post. Do y'all even ride, or just do engine rebuilds on the trail?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for ideas on a minimalist kit with essentials for day rides. Need a gawd damn cargo trailer to haul all the s*** in this post. Do y'all even ride, or just do engine rebuilds on the trail?

hahaha

You can fit a really good tool kit into a FAT50 ammo can if you trim out all the stuff you don’t need.

R

rickoshea

a small roll of coated baling wire is essential.and a couple spare fuses.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s a good one! I’m still laughing

Fro

Fro

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2016
Ardmore
I didn’t read the entire thread but I’ll throw in a drill and a good EZout to remove the bolts with stripped out heads.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do have an update for @Cuoutdoors original post.
When I installed my Honda uppers the other day, I needed a 4mm hex as well as a T25/T27/T30 for one bolt. I don't recall the exact Torx size, but it was one of the three.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do have an update for @Cuoutdoors original post.
When I installed my Honda uppers the other day, I needed a 4mm hex as well as a T25/T27/T30 for one bolt. I don't recall the exact Torx size, but it was one of the three.

I'll add it to the list.

Reactions: Neohio
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Updated 3/1/19

The goal of this thread is to create a list of tools that are essential for completing trail side repairs on a Honda Pioneer 1000. The 700 and 500 are likely similar. The idea is that if a person is going out on a significant riding trip they need at least a bare minimum set of tools to be able to work on their pioneer should a need arise. This goal has evolved to the creation of additional lists of items/parts that could be added should one choose to do so.

Original post:
I'm curious if anyone has put together a list, or started a list of the actual tools needed for the pioneer. For the sake of a trail kit. Granted you may need tools for other machines out there but I'm thinking if im on a long trip and want to save weight and space what do i need specifically for the Pioneer 1000. For instance I dont want to carry around a 13,16,18 mm socket if there's no part that requires it.

Take a second to vote if you would please!

The goal of this thread is to provide a precise list of tools one would need to fix their Honda Pioneer on the trail.

This is broken into 3 parts.
1. The bare minimum - Short day trips and such.
2. Encouraged - If you're going on a trip somewhere to ride you should add this to your supplies. May not have to be in the machine but take it with you.
3. Optional- These are items if you're going on an overland trip or similar. Self sufficient tools.

HERE IS THE BARE MINIMUM

Sockets:
Personal preference on 1/2" or 3/8" drive. Be sure to take a couple different extensions and adapters as well.
8mm
10mm body bolts, door hinges
12mm
14mm regular, outer A-arm bolts
14mm spark plug socket
17mm Tie rod ends, A arms, shocks
19mm Steering stem/ honda lug nuts, a arm
21mm Tapered lugs
22mm Standard lugs
30mm Axle nut

Wrenches:
8,10,12,14,17,19 Combination wrenches or ratchet wrenches

1 1/4" open end wrench or crows foot for inner tie rod end.

Allen/HEX:
5mm for air box and body panels

Nut drivers:
1/4", 5/16" (6mm/8mm)

Miscellaneous:
First aid kit
Knipex cobra pliers
Needle nose pliers
Standard Pliers
Crescent wrench
Flat and Phillips screw driver

Encouraged Items:
Knipex Pliar wrench -parallel jaw pliers
Large and small pair of vise grips
Hammer
12v or 18v Electric impact
JIS #3 cross bit for bed bolts
Tire plugs
CO2 kit/ mini air compressor
Zip ties
Tape
Tie rod
Locktite
Knife
Hammer
fuses
Disposable gloves
Spare lug nuts
Spare valve stem
Flashlight
WD40 or similar
Dry Box

Optional items:
Spare tire or tube if you have beadlocks
Spare Axle
Ball Joint
Cotter keys assortment
A-arm bolt
Side cutters
wire stripper and crimper
assortment of eletrical connectors
brake fluid
spare valve stems
tree saver
2 pulleys
4 clevis
1 50ft winch line extention
hose clamp assortment
spare wheel studs
disposable gloves
20ft of 14ga wire
spare spark plugs
bug spray
toilet paper and wipes
2.5 gal water
2.5 gal gas
1 long pick
Chainsaw
Lighter and flint striker
jelly soaked cotton balls
Fire extinguisher
Leather gloves
Lithium jump pack

Here you go @nbomar

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First time seeing this post, you guys do know you're driving Hondas right!!! In 3000 miles of mostly hard riding, I've needed absolutely NOTHING on the trail! I think the only time I've even took the stock tool kit out, is to help someone else lol.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
First time seeing this post, you guys do know you're driving Hondas right!!! In 3000 miles of mostly hard riding, I've needed absolutely NOTHING on the trail! I think the only time I've even took the stock tool kit out, is to help someone else lol.

Exactly what most of this sh** is for, helping out others. But then again, if I do break something, I'd like to fix it and not be seen being towed by a popo. 😁

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I went 3000 miles with only a bent tie rod but I have friends that like to test the structural limitations of their machines.

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I carry this set from harbor freight in my truck (I bought three of them lol) I haven't needed much more then this. I have a set of wrenches misc pliers and a 3/8 impact. If I can't make it back to the truck, I usually make a run for them.

63464 W4

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went 3000 miles with only a bent tie rod but I have friends that like to test the structural limitations of their machines.
I bent a tie rod in Moab last year, drove it out that way haha, still made it without struggle on the major obstacles of poison spider, and golden spike

Reactions: Vikes79 and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!