P500 Rear basket

S

Sledge

Bring the beer and meet me at my lake house this summer sometime and we'll weld you up one!

Tempting, MC. But shouldn't you be busy putting sugar in the Busch brothers' gas tanks?

Don't much like them boys...:)

Maybe I'll bring the beer and we'll just ride instead.

You come too, Solrus. I KNOW how to buy beer.

Joe

Reactions: Dp5hunter
S

Sledge

Tempting, MC. But shouldn't you be busy putting sugar in the Busch brothers' gas tanks?

Joe
Hmmm. Anatomical chart...guess I oughta 'splain that. :)

Had heartburn lately for the first time in my life. Heard it's better to sleep on left side. Wondered why. Googled anatomy. Downloaded chart. Sure enough, it is.

Didn't mean to bring it up here, though. :)

Computer whiz Joe

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmm. Anatomical chart...guess I oughta 'splain that. :)

Had heartburn lately for the first time in my life. Heard it's better to sleep on left side. Wondered why. Googled anatomy. Downloaded chart. Sure enough, it is.

Didn't mean to bring it up here, though. :)

Computer whiz Joe

I thought those are beer affected organ systems :)

Reactions: Sledge
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Joe
How'd you know I drink Busch Joe, hmm?

S

Sledge

Btw, Solrus, if you hit "click to expand" in the quote box of my post, you'll see the pic I meant to upload.

Somehow I got it in there instead of in the body of my post. It is a pic of your rig from the build thread you sent me to. Nice buggy.

If I'd just got the phantom anatomy chart in there instead, none of this would have come up.

Now I'm considering starting a "spleen health tips" thread, though. Any interest? :)

Oh, and regarding the need for the basket to conform to the shape of the rack, I disagree, with no disrespect to Slim's fine work.

I wonder instead why Honda clipped the corners of the rack, rather than following the outline of the fenders.

That is the odd part to me.

Anyway, the rack disappears under the Strong and Kurt baskets, and the baskets conform to the shape of the fenders.

They look better to my eye, have more capacity, and protect the fenders to boot.

Joe

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Look guys i can build u a bomb proof box either like mine or lighter with expanded metal screening the problem would be in shipping the metal i can get cheap (free) cough cough just pm me with what u want and how and we can figure something out im looking for sidejobs like this to put together funds for a good p5 transformation i think you will all enjoy just gonna cost around 3k lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Btw, Solrus, if you hit "click to expand" in the quote box of my post, you'll see the pic I meant to upload.

Somehow I got it in there instead of in the body of my post. It is a pic of your rig from the build thread you sent me to. Nice buggy.

If I'd just got the phantom anatomy chart in there instead, none of this would have come up.

Now I'm considering starting a "spleen health tips" thread, though. Any interest? :)

Oh, and regarding the need for the basket to conform to the shape of the rack, I disagree, with no disrespect to Slim's fine work.

I wonder instead why Honda clipped the corners of the rack, rather than following the outline of the fenders.

That is the odd part to me.

Anyway, the rack disappears under the Strong and Kurt baskets, and the baskets conform to the shape of the fenders.

They look better to my eye, have more capacity, and protect the fenders to boot.

Joe
If you ever follow another P-5 through tight trails, just slipping through trees, and watch the corners of the rear fenders bend and absorb the pressure from trees as the guy in front of you threads that needle, you'd then see the utility of the clipped corners on the rack, which wouldn't absorb the same stress from trees; at least not nicely. Although, if you intend for your P-5 to spend its life doing circles in a ten acre pasture, you'd be fine to add a box that covers the fenders. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar
advertisement
S

Sledge

If you ever follow another P-5 through tight trails, just slipping through trees, and watch the corners of the rear fenders bend and absorb the pressure from trees as the guy in front of you threads that needle, you'd then see the utility of the clipped corners on the rack, which wouldn't absorb the same stress from trees; at least not nicely. Although, if you intend for your P-5 to spend its life doing circles in a ten acre pasture, you'd be fine to add a box that covers the fenders. :)
Gotcha. Yep, it's 10 acre pasture circles forever for me.:rolleyes:

Solrus, a couple of questions about the Curt basket:

Any issues with not having a "side" along the front? On the SM it goes clear around, which seems like a good thing to me.

And the configuration of the floor seems weird. Any explanation for that?

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, I know you don't intend to stay in the pasture, just messin around.

Reactions: Sledge
S

Sledge

Gotcha. Yep, it's 10 acre pasture circles forever for me.:rolleyes:

Solrus, a couple of questions about the Curt basket:

Any issues with not having a "side" along the front? On the SM it goes clear around, which seems like a good thing to me.

And the configuration of the floor seems weird. Any explanation for that?

Joe
A couple more things:

I see an advantage to the absence of a side up front now. It will allow the basket to be mounted farther forward.

Also, I saw the 46" width of the SM seemed a good thing in comparison to the 41" Kurt. At first.

When I put my trusty 40 year-old Lufkin folding rule on the rack, though, I see that the Kurt will give me access to the Honda rack's side rails for lashing odd loads like elk quarters down, in rough terrain.

(In case I ever work up the nerve to leave the pasture...:eek:)

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A couple more things:

I see an advantage to the absence of a side up front now. It will allow the basket to be mounted farther forward.

Also, I saw the 46" width of the SM seemed a good thing in comparison to the 41" Kurt. At first.

When I put my trusty 40 year-old Lufkin folding rule on the rack, though, I see that the Kurt will give me access to the Honda rack's side rails for lashing odd loads like elk quarters down, in rough terrain.

(In case I ever work up the nerve to leave the pasture...:eek:)

Joe
I think the Kurt basket looks great. I was going that route, until I found a good deal on a used Honda bed (thanks @Chooglin). I really like the Honda bed. So far, it has been perfect for my needs.

Reactions: Chooglin
S

Sledge

I think the Kurt basket looks great. I was going that route, until I found a good deal on a used Honda bed (thanks @Chooglin). I really like the Honda bed. So far, it has been perfect for my needs.
Just ordered the Curt from etrailer. Not sure why it's marked down to $95 from $220, but didn't want to miss out.

They offer free shipping for orders over $99, so I got a receiver hitch too.

I'm fully accessorized now!

I hope....:)

Joe

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
its to cheap out on metal and charge more ( when it was full price)

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
im banging my head against the wall here TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT AND I WILL BUILD IT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! pm me and ill get it done with industrial steel not homedepot s*** fully welded b
not spot and ground

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
if u look at the square tubing they use its crazy thin wall not ment to take a beating which equals not good enough for me

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
take a look at my box i had a dirt bike and a 4 wheeler in it now think could you do that with a 90$ box or something your got on clearance

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!