P500 Rear basket

S

Sledge

take a look at my box i had a dirt bike and a 4 wheeler in it now think could you do that with a 90$ box or something your got on clearance
Well, it's done been shipped, but thanks for the offer, Jak.

Thanks for that link, Scott! That explains it.

Joe

S

Sledge

Received and installed the $95 Curt rack (marked down from $220) this morning. No drama.

I would describe build quality as adequate for my purposes. It is fully supported by the Honda rack, so I won't be asking a lot from it. I wanted a solid floor and sides, and got that.

I'm going to cut a 1/2" rubber stall mat to fit, for Sally's paws, for quiet, and also for cargo traction.

I mounted it so I have 1 1/2" access all around to the Honda rack for lashing, straps, and bungees.

It'll do.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 14548 Received and installed the $95 Curt rack (marked down from $220) this morning. No drama.

I would describe build quality as adequate for my purposes. It is fully supported by the Honda rack, so I won't be asking a lot from it. I wanted a solid floor and sides, and got that.

I'm going to cut a 1/2" rubber stall mat to fit, for Sally's paws, for quiet, and also for cargo traction.

I mounted it so I have 1 1/2" access all around to the Honda rack for lashing, straps, and bungees.

It'll do.

Joe
Very nice, I like the rubber floor idea as well. FYI, if you carry a chainsaw and saw gas, stall matts won't work, if not, you're fine.

Reactions: Sledge
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Why not. Will spilled gas melt the rubber?
Not melt it, but it will knot up like boils. I don't happen to have a picture of what it did to mine, and won't be back around it for over a week. But when I can next, I'll post a picture of it. I'm searching for a suitable alternative that will be impervious to oil, gas and diesel.

S

Sledge

Not melt it, but it will knot up like boils. I don't happen to have a picture of what it did to mine, and won't be back around it for over a week. But when I can next, I'll post a picture of it. I'm searching for a suitable alternative that will be impervious to oil, gas and diesel.
I'm curious why you consider spilled gas a given, an unavoidable circumstance, MC.

I was a professional timber faller in Montana and Idaho for several years.

Never spilled much, if any gas in my truck.

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm curious why you consider spilled gas a given, an unavoidable circumstance, MC.

I was a professional timber faller in Montana and Idaho for several years.

Never spilled much, if any gas in my truck.

Joe

You're a better man than I.... my bed has had the following spilled in it: used oil, kerosene, gasoline, and beer. I guess as bad as I am about spills it's a good thing I'm not a smoker. haha

And it's a good thing the plastic bed doesn't leak. The grooves in it keep the spills in until I get to the garage to degrease it.

S

Sledge

You're a better man than I.... my bed has had the following spilled in it: used oil, kerosene, gasoline, and beer. I guess as bad as I am about spills it's a good thing I'm not a smoker. haha

And it's a good thing the plastic bed doesn't leak. The grooves in it keep the spills in until I get to the garage to degrease it.
Huh. Maybe I am then. Not inclined to think so, though.

Maybe I'm just more careful with flammable liquids.

I will spill a beer now and then, but that is self-explanatory. Usually after my sixth. :)

I'm just real careful with flammable liquids. Maybe y'all fuel your saws in the bed.

I don't do that. Neither should you.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Then use horse stall matting in your basket Joe.

Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet

Apr 13, 2016
Labrador, Canada
I can see you spilling gas if u are filling up your saw on the back of the bike but like joe said u shouldn't do that, other then that unless the can is leaking u should be ok with any rubber mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anybody that's carried around diesel, gas and oil in the bed of their truck regularly is familiar with this. Just look at the outside of a diesel or gas can on the back of any rancher or loggers truck for the dust caked residue. You can't keep a place that carries these things free of the products they're carrying. With 160 wooded acres in eastern Oklahoma I've gone through plenty of chainsaws over the years, Stihl, Jonsered, Shindaiwa etc., it doesn't matter, fuel lines, chain oil reservoirs, they all start leaking eventually. One such occurrence on my horse stall rubber and it was ruined. I've finally located the rubber matting that I need for mine, it's the same thing mechanics use on their shop floors. Military, marine, industrial applications where diesel is used or transported where rubber matting is to be used, it needs to be impervious to such products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter
S

Sledge

Anybody that's carried around diesel, gas and oil in the bed of their truck regularly is familiar with this. Just look at the outside of a diesel or gas can on the back of any rancher or loggers truck for the dust caked residue. You can't keep a place that carries these things free of the products they're carrying. With 160 wooded acres in eastern Oklahoma I've gone through plenty of chainsaws over the years, Stihl, Jonsered, Shindaiwa etc., it doesn't matter, fuel lines, chain oil reservoirs, they all start leaking eventually. One such occurrence on my horse stall rubber and it was ruined. I've finally located the rubber matting that I need for mine, it's the same thing mechanics use on their shop floors. Military, marine, industrial applications where diesel is used or transported where rubber matting is to be used, it needs to be impervious to such products.
Huh. You assert that your experience is universal and unavoidable.

No one said that fuel containers won't get dirty. No one said that spills are avoidable.

With good fuel containers, good fueling practices, and good care, it certainly IS possible to avoid spills in a vehicle.

In my experience, the ground is always about 2 feet away. Do your fueling there, buy good containers, use them carefully, and it is not only possible, but fairly easy to avoid spills in a vehicle.

How many carry gas in SUVs? Are they all contaminated? Of course not.

Many ranchers, loggers, and farmers are sloppy about fuel management. To say that proves careful fuel management is impossible is just silly.

Joe

Reactions: Tip
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Huh. You assert that your experience is universal and unavoidable.

No one said that fuel containers won't get dirty. No one said that spills are avoidable.

With good fuel containers, good fueling practices, and good care, it certainly IS possible to avoid spills in a vehicle.

In my experience, the ground is always about 2 feet away. Do your fueling there, buy good containers, use them carefully, and it is not only possible, but fairly easy to avoid spills in a vehicle.

How many carry gas in SUVs? Are they all contaminated? Of course not.

Many ranchers, loggers, and farmers are sloppy about fuel management. To say that proves careful fuel management is impossible is just silly.

Joe
I said I found the proper matting, did you miss that Joe. I have enough horse stall matting left over on my roll for two more P-5's, do you need some?

S

Sledge

I said I found the proper matting, did you miss that Joe. I have enough horse stall matting left over on my roll for two more P-5's, do you need some?
What? No, I didn't miss that.

I didn't miss the other 90% of your post either, and I responded rationally to it, I think.

What does the fact that you've found some new rubber have to do with your assertion that a filthy nasty bed is unavoidable?

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What? No, I didn't miss that.

I didn't miss the other 90% of your post either, and I responded rationally to it, I think.

What does the fact that you've found some new rubber have to do with your assertion that a filthy nasty bed is unavoidable?

Joe
Um, is this another one of those beer drinking nights Joe? The military, mechanics, merchant marines, etc., etc., all use rubber matting where oils, fuel and solvents are to be used or transported that are impervious to them. So I'm replacing mine with that. If horse stall matting works for you, then install it. If you need some, I have enough for your basket, if you're interested. Furthermore, my ride is not filthy nasty, not in any picture you've seen of it on this forum.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
Um, is this another one of those beer drinking nights Joe? The military, mechanics, merchant marines, etc., etc., all use rubber matting where oils, fuel and solvents are to be used or transported that are impervious to them. So I'm replacing mine with that. If horse stall matting works for you, then install it. If you need some, I have enough for your basket, if you're interested. Furthermore, my ride is not filthy nasty, not in any picture you've seen of it on this forum.

I don't want to bust into a gentleman's argument here, BUT - I do have a dog in this fight. Or will have I suspect. I've cut out a proper shaped horse mat for my future box. Now I suspect that it was a poor choice, since I always carry my chainsaw, oil and gas cans in the box. And, spastic as I may be, I always have drippings, spills, etc. So - it's looking like a rubber mat is needed.

Monte, what sort of rubber mat do you use? Is it one piece, or ??? Can you give me some specifics on what would be best and of course, how much I would expect to pay? TIA.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't want to bust into a gentleman's argument here, BUT - I do have a dog in this fight. Or will have I suspect. I've cut out a proper shaped horse mat for my future box. Now I suspect that it was a poor choice, since I always carry my chainsaw, oil and gas cans in the box. And, spastic as I may be, I always have drippings, spills, etc. So - it's looking like a rubber mat is needed.

Monte, what sort of rubber mat do you use? Is it one piece, or ??? Can you give me some specifics on what would be best and of course, how much I would expect to pay? TIA.
Google industrial chemical resistant mat, lots of options.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 100Acre
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Haha, no worries. Here's one option.

PIG® Grippy® Traffic Mat® Rug - MAT3226 - New Pig

And another,

Heavy Duty Diamond-Plate Anti Fatigue Mats - Fire Proof

Last edited:
Reactions: 100Acre

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!