Recovery gear for your Pioneer!

J

Jshell3

When shopping for snatch blocks, Do you purchase based on the weight limit of your winch on a single line pull? Or double it?
I own a Terra 45SR. Do I shop for a snatch block rated at least 4500 pounds? Or 9,000 pounds?
Is the Warn Epic 92097 rated at 5,000lbs a perfect match? Or go nuts with the 92188 rated at 12,000lbs?

I don't mind overkill, but there is a huge price difference between the 2.
HEY LOOK EVERYBODY... a real question.

@Neohio - In the world of off road snatch blocks, you would need double the work load of the winch if you're hooking it back to the same machine the winch is hooked to.
A safer way to say that, a snatch block is designed to decrease the work load on the line. If you hook it BACK to the winched vehicle, you're effectively doubling the pull on the line... SO a 4,000lb (2 ton) winch would require a 4 ton capable snatch block.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HEY LOOK EVERYBODY... a real question.

@Neohio - In the world of off road snatch blocks, you would need double the work load of the winch if you're hooking it back to the same machine the winch is hooked to.
A safer way to say that, a snatch block is designed to decrease the work load on the line. If you hook it BACK to the winched vehicle, you're effectively doubling the pull on the line... SO a 4,000lb (2 ton) winch would require a 4 ton snatch block.

So keep putting the pennies aside and acquire the 12,000lb rated warn?
Actually, I will email warn and ask them as well. They have the smaller one under their atv/utv section. I will post what I know when I know.

Edit: I am going to go with what is on their website.
"PN 92097 Rated to 5,000 lbs. (2268 kg) winch capacity and under"

Last edited:
J

Jshell3

So keep putting the pennies aside and acquire the 12,000lb rated warn?
Actually, I will email warn and ask them as well. They have the smaller one under their atv/utv section. I will post what I know when I know.

Edit: I am going to go with what is on their website.
"PN 92097 Rated to 5,000 lbs. (2268 kg) winch capacity and under"

Amazon.com: KFI Products ATV-SB Snatch Block: Automotive
This Block has a 8,000lb load rating and 16,000lb effective Rating.
(and is the one I use w/ my Warn Vantage 4000-Synthetic)

(I stole this off a FAQ website)

I see both 8,000 lbs on the title and then 16,000 lbs the you select the item down below... which one is it??
Answer:
This block works with a winch that has a pulling force of up to 8,000 lbs. The 16,000 lb rating is there because when you pull with a block the pulling power of the winch is doubled thus doubling the force on the block. So pulling with a 8,000 lb winch in a block is pulling 16,000 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have used this one for better than 20 years

Superwinch 7750A Pulley Block , 20,000 lb capacity, use with winches having maximum single line capacity of 10,000 lb Amazon.com: Superwinch 7750A Pulley Block , 20,000 lb capacity, use with winches having maximum single line capacity of 10,000 lb: Automotive

I had a snap ring fail and ordered better ones from McMaster. While waiting on the snap rings, I won one of these.

ARB ARB209 Snatch Block Amazon.com: ARB ARB209 Snatch Block: Automotive

For heavy pulls, this one is the cats meow with the greasable bushing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Well then jump right in anywhere you want when you can.;) It doesn't matter. Us alcohol infused lunatics will standby. Oh, wait is that like being called a deplorable? That would be a good thing because I'm proud to be deplorable!:D OH Crap, was that being political? Now I've done it... I'm off topic and political.. I'm untrainable apparently
Now you've done it! You have both Joey an Jackal upset:eek: now I'll never graduate to a Club Contributor o_O Oh well, I'd rather be with the alcohol infused lunatics anyway!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now you've done it! You have both Joey an Jackal upset:eek: now I'll never graduate to a Club Contributor o_O Oh well, I'd rather be with the alcohol infused lunatics anyway!
Yeah, we have a whole lot more fun being infused and all. @JACKAL would be upset with @joeymt33 too. He gets infused now and then. And there's @sharp who gets infused and @CumminsPusher and @Manwell and @GlockMeister and @JTW and, well you get the picture. I'm sure there are a few hundred others on the forum who get infused. We are all deplorable @Tigermark! Oh, and sorry about the club contributor tag, it don't get you any more money per hour anyway..;)

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let get the components to assemble the tanks , I'll find a place to get them filled.
I have one of the power tanks. The welding supply store at Wagon wheel is where I get mine filled. I don't carry it on the trail because its so big, but we can put it in the back of your rig when we ride together. :)

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I have one of the power tanks. The welding supply store at Wagon wheel is where I get mine filled. I don't carry it on the trail because its so big, but we can put it in the back of your rig when we ride together. :)
That will be good to have with us if we have tire issues on the RVs.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This Block has a 8,000lb load rating and 16,000lb effective Rating.
(and is the one I use w/ my Warn Vantage 4000-Synthetic)

(I stole this off a FAQ website)

I see both 8,000 lbs on the title and then 16,000 lbs the you select the item down below... which one is it??
Answer:
This block works with a winch that has a pulling force of up to 8,000 lbs. The 16,000 lb rating is there because when you pull with a block the pulling power of the winch is doubled thus doubling the force on the block. So pulling with a 8,000 lb winch in a block is pulling 16,000 lbs.

That's the one I ordered too, will be here tomorrow. ;)

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That's the one I ordered too, will be here tomorrow. ;)

If you are talking about the Superwinch one, look at the snap rings. I'll see if I have any spares. The replacements are metric and I had to order a pack of 10. It's been almost 10 years since I had the issue so I am not sure I can pay my fingers on them.

The block failed as I was putting it up after a 5 hour winch fest winching a 3 wheeled Jeep up trail 39 at Windrock - I guess at some point we put a side load on it. Two $1 snap rings and it was good to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!