P1000 Remaining known issues on 2021's?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. After tons of reading on here, saw various reliability issues come to light (clutch, air intake, etc.) on earlier models and believe that a number of them have been resolved at the factory on newer models.

So just wanted to ask if there are pretty clearly known issues that have yet to be resolved on the 2021 models?

Thanks,

Steve

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Overall these machines are very well put together. Honda has been selling them like crazy. In general the internet focuses on the broken parts a lot more than the trouble free rides. Side by sides in general need a few tweaks here and there to be perfect for most owners and the Pioneer isn't really different. Get it, ride it and see what you like about it. This forum is more of a trail riding crew vs some of the mud riders that frequent the various facebook pages.

If you really think you have to fix something, start reading the build threads on here for ideas. Lots of smart and talented people on this page have cut, drilled, printed and welded parts up for these machines. Below is a link to mine.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Overall these machines are very well put together. Honda has been selling them like crazy. In general the internet focuses on the broken parts a lot more than the trouble free rides. Side by sides in general need a few tweaks here and there to be perfect for most owners and the Pioneer isn't really different. Get it, ride it and see what you like about it. This forum is more of a trail riding crew vs some of the mud riders that frequent the various facebook pages.

If you really think you have to fix something, start reading the build threads on here for ideas. Lots of smart and talented people on this page have cut, drilled, printed and welded parts up for these machines. Below is a link to mine.

X2 on what he said!

bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey @lifeisgoodsteve, I just picked up a '21 this week so I can chime in!

I noticed the door and bed rattle is still an issue that hasn't been resolved. So I put nylon washer shims in the doors (see pic) instead of the more expensive aftermarket bushings, and 5/16 fuel line on the bed clamps (no pic).

The tires I received are Made in China (Armstrong Dirt Master) which apparently are different than OEM years in the past. I did notice a slight wobble above 25 mph that might have more to do with wheel balance (or lack of break in time - seems to be going away with more hours).

Other than that, the machine is awesome!

IMG 6529

B

BobSmithing

Dec 20, 2020
Kent, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a '21 and noticed the passenger back door sags with some rattle. When I open the door I end up having to lift it up to get it latched and the top hinge is the problem. I wonder if this is a theme. I'm getting ready to take it off the hinges and try to put in a bushing. Stay tuned.

Reactions: Lady01
Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a '21 and noticed the passenger back door sags with some rattle. When I open the door I end up having to lift it up to get it latched and the top hinge is the problem. I wonder if this is a theme. I'm getting ready to take it off the hinges and try to put in a bushing. Stay tuned.
I like the idea of the nylon washers, but honestly, I think you will be happier with hinge bushings from RB3, these were the first mods I performed and that was decided on after ten minutes of my very first ride. Its worth the cost and effort.

RB3 Door Hinge Bushings   Pioneer 1000

Last edited:
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Just wrap tape Around the latch bar slam the door good to go Repeat as needed.

B

BobSmithing

Dec 20, 2020
Kent, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wrap tape Around the latch bar slam the door good to go Repeat as needed.
Not so much, the door itself angles down from the top hinge and has to be lifted up in order to latch. I am going to check out the bushings though. Thanks!

C

CaptRehab

For those that have gotten a 2020-21, what have you found that you have to have adjusted or changed right out off the showroom floor?

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those that have gotten a 2020-21, what have you found that you have to have adjusted or changed right out off the showroom floor?

Bed and door rattles were the most obvious fixes needed on my ‘21. I adjusted the door stops, wrapped Gorilla tape on the latches, as well as wrapped the bed latches on the undercarriage with fuel line hose, stuck some felt furniture pads where the door stops touch the frame and am waiting for my RB3 hinge bushings to arrive so I can replace the crappy OEM bushings. I also cut some pool noodles and put them in between the roll cage and the roof because my Mudder In Laws make the roof vibrate at speeds under 10 mph. Also installed a bed extender to free up cargo space when the rear seats are up. Vent lines will be the next upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It depends on your definition of issues is.

I don’t find the seat heat to be an issue....cause the other months I prefer it.

Rattles and clanks ... yes they exist but nothing worse than a old farm truck.

All other critical ones are resolved.

you’ll still likely have to adjust your 4wd shift cables and correct the front end alignment.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It depends on your definition of issues is.

I don’t find the seat heat to be an issue....cause the other months I prefer it.

Rattles and clanks ... yes they exist but nothing worse than a old farm truck.

All other critical ones are resolved.

you’ll still likely have to adjust your 4wd shift cables and correct the front end alignment.
Yep, everybody wants to be an off-road warrior but nobody wants to give up their loafers, air conditioning and Cadillac suspension!

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
No issues with my 2020 P500. Initially the shift from 1st to second was a little jarring but either it has worked itself out or I have just gotten use to it. My 2021 P1000-3 has been impressive. No door rattle and no excess heat. it may be because we put custom seat covers on it along with the 3 position SATV windshield. The dump bed, however, rattled quite a bit, especially when I have the 2 bird dogs in the back. Like others, I just put a piece of hose on the latches. Having said all that, I am still under 600 miles on both.

Now to tap my head three times. You know, knock on wood.

s/f Steve

I

Ingfam

Apr 13, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Russ989, I agree that everyone wants it all, But I have to say ever sense I did all the little tricks to stop rattles it's much nicer to go for a ride. Mine is a 2016 model. first and only owner, So not new to this machine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!