P1000 Removing sway bar

Have you removed the sway bar on you 1000/1000-5?

• Yes

• No

• Not yet but going too.

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

DDDonkey

How may people have removed their sway bar on there 1000/1000-5? I need to adjust the camber on my rear a-arms and am trying to decide if I should remove it while I'm in there. I am only thinking about it since I have my new 814 shocks on it, and the Taylor park trip coming up. I do a lot of black top riding, but when out and about, really like the technical slow stuff when I can find it. Please vote.......

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How may people have removed their sway bar on there 1000/1000-5? I need to adjust the camber on my rear a-arms and am trying to decide if I should remove it while I'm in there. I am only thinking about it since I have my new 814 shocks on it, and the Taylor park trip coming up. I do a lot of black top riding, but when out and about, really like the technical slow stuff when I can find it. Please vote.......
Removed mine last year... if I’m going to be dirt road/blacktop riding which is typically just riding back roads to my parents, I try to remember to set the Fox shocks on firm to make up for the lack of the sway bar - it helps a lot. The first time I road over there and left them on soft, you could really feel it on the curves.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pull it! It make it articulate much better... like landman said if you gonna ride alot of asphalt bump the shocks up to firm.
When you pull it take it out the driver side...make life alot easier.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why do you remove it????? I can't believe so many have what am I missing???? Does it make it ride better, softer???

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why do you remove it????? I can't believe so many have what am I missing???? Does it make it ride better, softer???

Rough terrain the suspension is completely independent. Machine stays more stable.

High speed she's a little loose but I don't run high speed very often.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
You can disconnect it and zip tie the ends out the of the way and drive it around and see how you like it. If so, then you can completely remove it!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My opinion is if someone is mainly asphalt leave it in, it can give an unsettling feeling at first till you get use to it but like the guys said shocks can be adjusted to make up for it some.
Off-road it’s just night and day. Articulation is nice to have, why let an independent rig act like a solid axle. Way better out, smoother and much better traction. Extreme side hill it’s a little better attached but everywhere else in the dirt it’s worth having gone.
Even high speed dirt road you get use to setting the machine up for the cornering and can probably run faster without.

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had been wanting to, but just never did until I added the 814's a couple months ago. With the wheels and shocks off, it made it too easy to resist. I left the bar, just undid the attachment.

I did not buy a Pioneer to ride the roads, strictly an off road machine for me.

Last edited:
Outacntrl

Outacntrl

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I removed mine and couldn't really tell a stability difference on road. Definitely articulates better in the rough stuff though.

advertisement
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was a "holdout" for a long time because it just feels better with it in but mine's been out for almost 2 yrs now and I'm glad I did. Like said above if you drive more level areas, leave it in... if you are more in the off road fun areas...take it out. And to those that are about to say, "I told ya"! Y'all can kiss my ass. :rolleyes:

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd never consider putting mine back in. Tires stay planted so much better without it. As for street riding, I honestly can't tell that much difference. The road from home to work is one curve after another.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just pulled mine and wow. I wish I had done it sooner. I do ride quite a bit high speed on roads around the house but for the gain in flex i can deal with the small amount of sway. I wont be putting it back on.

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Leesville, South Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just pulled mine and wow. I wish I had done it sooner. I do ride quite a bit high speed on roads around the house but for the gain in flex i can deal with the small amount of sway. I wont be putting it back on.
How hard is it to remove? I do ride black top some around my house but not 50plus mph. How much of a diff does it help in technical rock climbing and all?

Reactions: TripleB
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How hard is it to remove? I do ride black top some around my house but not 50plus mph. How much of a diff does it help in technical rock climbing and all?
It took maybe ten or fifteen minutes to pull it. I took the left rear wheel off then the lower side of the shock. I unbolted it and pulled it out. I did have a second set of hands when untangling it from the machine and it made it easy. As for the technical rock crawling I cant say for sure I am in ohio. I don't get much of that on the home turf. I played in some usual areas where I need 4x4 to climb out of a creek bed and it did it in turf because of the added flex allowing both rear tires to be planted. I did run it 50ish miles at 40-60 mph on and off road to see how it would affect my day to day uses and while it does sway a bit more it's still plenty stable for high speed road use and running in the fields around the house.

Reactions: Leukic
Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Leesville, South Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It took maybe ten or fifteen minutes to pull it. I took the left rear wheel off then the lower side of the shock. I unbolted it and pulled it out. I did have a second set of hands when untangling it from the machine and it made it easy. As for the technical rock crawling I cant say for sure I am in ohio. I don't get much of that on the home turf. I played in some usual areas where I need 4x4 to climb out of a creek bed and it did it in turf because of the added flex allowing both rear tires to be planted. I did run it 50ish miles at 40-60 mph on and off road to see how it would affect my day to day uses and while it does sway a bit more it's still plenty stable for high speed road use and running in the fields around the house.
Awesome I will be pulling mine tomorrow then.

Reactions: Delton and Ohio4x4
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!