Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tonight I decided to pull the muffler and delete the cat. I heard that it helps with a small amount of power and gets the heat out of the exhaust faster.

Safety FIRST, the reason I mention this is because the Dust/Cat materials are very bad to breathe in, This is why I did not want to "Break up" the cat material, If you do decide to do it with this method USE A RESPIRATOR!!!! Then throw the filters away!

First remove all the heatshields, you will reinstall these later

20200111 150238 Large

The first cut I made on the Larger tapered side, Reason being is that you'll have something to hang on to when your trying to slip the cat out of the muffler (Press fit but just tight enough to make it a task), You'll have to make two cuts, Ill go over that later. I cut it about 1.5" from the heat shield mounts, It honestly could be anywhere it tapers but I think 1.5" is a very good place to cut.

20200111 140544 Large

The cat is pressed into the muffler side of the on the big end, Just tight enough that it doesn't slip right apart, I used a combination of my bench and a rubber hammer and was able to free the cat. This is what that should look like once freed.

20200111 140621 Large

Now the second cut I had a idea about where the cat should be cut without getting into the cat core. a little research showed it was about 7.5" From the flange to the cat media. I decided to cut it at the 7 to 7.25" mark, that gave me about 1/4 of room to work without hitting the cat media.

20200111 140647 Large

Now with that second cut made, you should have something like this, the cat cut perfectly. Could even be reused? Haha. Now where my finger is pointed is why you can't just make one cut at the narrow side, the weld keeps you from pulling it through, right at the weld is where the cat media begins!

20200111 140656 Large
20200111 140727 Large

Now that its removed its time to reinstall, I choose to put a piece of 2.5" diameter pipe. My thoughts are that if you didn't install a piece of pipe in place of the cat there will be some added back pressure. Thats exactly why Im deleting the cat in the first place. This is what it looks like this inside.

20200111 140828 Large

Here is the narrow side and you can see the Oxygen sensor also.

20200111 140849 Large

Now I cut the 2.5" Exhaust pipe the exact same length as the cat I removed (I Forgot to take a measurement but will update that measurement in a few days). I pressed it back into the muffler side with just a hammer, test fitting the narrow side as I pushed it in.

20200111 142531 Large

Heres a shot of me test fitting it, I did use a die grinder to open it up slightly so I could weld the new pipe in, I think it would eventually rattle inside, this is why I chose to weld it in, I used a die grinder again and made small notches so I could weld it to the cone.

20200111 142539 Large

One last test fit before welding into place!

20200111 142642 Large

Now the easy part, Welding it all back together. (Sorry my welds look like crap, My welder is too large to weld up thin steel. I did the best I could with it at its lowest settings LOL!)

20200111 145355 Large

Boom end result, Will it void warranty, yes probably (My warranty is well up). Could they tell you deleted the cat without really digging in, Probably not. It still has a spark arrestor so we are in the clear there, If your BLM/Forest service guy wants to check :).

20200111 150238 Large

How hard was it, Pretty simple once you know where the cuts should be made, and your decent at welding!

Last edited:
advertisement
Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a small update. I put about 100 miles on it since the delete. The heat under the seat and under the bed has decreased. Even my wife agrees. I can't tell a difference if it's any louder. We were riding in rain and 40 degree weather and we wanted the heat back 😂

8ball929

May 31, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just want to say thank you for posting up the measurements of the cat inside the muffler. Took all the guess work out of it. I removed mine today.
I agree that it doesn't seem any louder which is great. Main reason why I didn't really want to go after market exhaust. Wasn't interested in making the pioneer any louder.

20200625 180520

8ball929

May 31, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dang yours looks nicer then mine, did you slip a piece of pipe in there?

Lol Ty, Yeah that's why the top weld looks so rough. I opened it up some to weld the piece of pipe in place then filled in the gap. Just used an 8 dollar piece of exhaust pipe I picked up at an auto parts store. Piece is big enough to do two of them. But that's all they had. I didn't have anything that was 2.5" laying around.

20200625 172259

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!