P1000 Replacement Battery

C

Cohutta

Jun 25, 2016
NWGA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 battery seems to be dying. Do I go to the dealer or is there a lower cost, high AH replacement that fits?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
My 2016 battery seems to be dying. Do I go to the dealer or is there a lower cost, high AH replacement that fits?
That's a high quality battery that comes from the factory - it shouldn't be dying already. Maybe you have something draining it with the ignition off. Got any accessories that might be doing that?

I thought I killed my battery after draining it completely. It wouldn't take a charge - got error codes on the charger but I kept restarting the charger for about 5 days and it finally brought it back to life.

I researched new batteries at that time and decided I would buy the exact same battery if I had too. Inexpensive isn't always better.

C

Cohutta

Jun 25, 2016
NWGA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, ghost. That's good info on the battery.

After thinking about it, I think the battery is suffering from the machine being run for short trips and not enough to completely recharge the battery. I have several additional accessories (lights, ham radio), but they are on a secondary battery with an isolator. After jumping it off yesterday and running it I feel certain it just needs to be run longer. I have a voltmeter on each battery and the main one is holding a charge now.

Reactions: Smitty335
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, ghost. That's good info on the battery.

After thinking about it, I think the battery is suffering from the machine being run for short trips and not enough to completely recharge the battery. I have several additional accessories (lights, ham radio), but they are on a secondary battery with an isolator. After jumping it off yesterday and running it I feel certain it just needs to be run longer. I have a voltmeter on each battery and the main one is holding a charge now.

I had a boat with a big system in it. I had to buy a battery charger/ maintainer to make sure the batteries stayed charged well worth the money being the price of the batteries aren't cheap. same problem with the short trips.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had a boat with a big system in it. I had to buy a battery charger/ maintainer to make sure the batteries stayed charged well worth the money being the price of the batteries aren't cheap. same problem with the short trips.
Really? What's wrong with you? HA! These things are made to ride all day long!

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really? What's wrong with you? HA! These things are made to ride all day long!

LOL I said my boat. And with it we would ride but then the kids would want to swim. I want have that problem on my 1000-5

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put a 12v port on mine for a battery tender for similar reasons.

20171020 151049

Reactions: Jimmy-AZ
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I bought a battery tinder my accessories were draining my battery one day I went to move it and the starting sounded weak. My 2016 sport has the plug under the hood I plug into.

advertisement
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Battery Tenders are the way to go if you have a battery that will be sitting for a while.
My P1K -5 LE came with a port for the tender :)
Mines a 2017 deluxe. Another perk for the le I guess,lol.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Battery Tenders are the way to go if you have a battery that will be sitting for a while.
Under the hood?

D

Dasmoeturhead

I keep P1K3 on a tender almost always when its in the garage. I had one on my street bike for 7 years, and it kept the battery good. In fact on the past 2 motorcycles (9 years) I've never had to change a battery. I think the Battery tender does a good job, especially in the Winter.
Just my 2 pennies worth of info.

Reactions: CPope
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota

I have a 5LE too. Where is your port located or was this something your dealer installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 5LE too. Where is your port located or was this something your dealer installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think dealer installed. I will check my wiring diagram for 18’s to see if it is there. But i doubt it.

Edit: no port listed in my service manual for 16-18’s

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
By an odysse battery or similar AGM battery. They are so much better than stock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please give more details. Is the BT permanently installed on the machine? Is that a 110v line going directly to an outlet? Which BT model?
Here is the port:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N57XLNS?tag=sxsweb24-20

I cutoff the connector, spliced on ring terminals and hooked it up to my main battery. I'm not sure which battery tender I have since I'm not currently home, but I use it on my foreman as well.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!