P1000 Ricochet 9-Piece Complete Skids....With or Without the 1/4" UHMW Overlay?

N

Nvrgiveup

I've decided on the Ricochet complete set of skid plates, due in large part to the fact that they utilize the factory holes, and as I understand it, no drilling is required and no self-tappers are used. Now comes the question of the UHMW layer/add-on. For those of you with only the aluminum skids, do you wish you'd ponied up the extra $400 to get the UHMW added?

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can not answer for these skids and I am not sure the environment you ride in. But I had all aluminum skids on my Teryx and finally took them off and replaced them with UMHW skids. The aluminum would hang up on rocks and trees when trying to slide over them. They also became so damaged I could not get them back on the Teryx after removal for an oil change. The plastic does not permanently deform and slides better. I ride from TN to Florida for reference. I would hight add the plastic to the skids.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

N

Nvrgiveup

I can not answer for these skids and I am not sure the environment you ride in. But I had all aluminum skids on my Teryx and finally took them off and replaced them with UMHW skids. The aluminum would hang up on rocks and trees when trying to slide over them. They also became so damaged I could not get them back on the Teryx after removal for an oil change. The plastic does not permanently deform and slides better. I ride from TN to Florida for reference. I would hight add the plastic to the skids.

Thankya, sir. We ride in basically the same types of terrain. I'm a TN, KY, WV guy. I've been searching for a set of full UHMW skids that don't require making more holes in the frame, but have come up empty so far.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thankya, sir. We ride in basically the same types of terrain. I'm a TN, KY, WV guy. I've been searching for a set of full UHMW skids that don't require making more holes in the frame, but have come up empty so far.
I dont think you can have a full coverage skid plate without making new holes. It will just cover the middle section of the machine from front to back. The sides protecting the floorboards and outer rails won't have any protection. That would allow sticks and other debris to possibly impale someone.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Making new holes are not that big of a deal. I would highly recommend adding some reinforcement to the outer tube anyway. I can read many thread on here were people smash the outer tube riding in rocks. I used the rec stuff tu e gusset and welded weld nuts to them before welding the reinforcement to the tube. So far it holding up well with several trips to TN.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I've been searching for a set of full UHMW skids that don't require making more holes in the frame, but have come up empty so far.
Trail Armor skids use more of the factory OEM bolts than most of the other UHMW skids I found, but they still use some self-tappers. I did a lot of research and ordered TA skids and A-Arm guards recently.

And remember: When you're installing skids where skids weren't installed @ the factory, you CAN'T use factory bolts ... ;)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@aprils_fool put the alum/uhmw skids on his P1K5, they work very well and do not require any new holes or self tappers, all factory mounts, in a location that doesn't have a factory mount they will supply a spring clamp.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!