P500 Roof and windshield

R

RockCreek

May 17, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
First of all, thanks to everyone on this forum. I just bought a P-500 and appreciate all the information I found here that helped me make my decision.

Now I am looking at a windshield and hardtop. I have found several windshields online that fold or flip up to allow air circulation on hot days.

I hope to hear what results members here have had with these types of windshields and any preference for hard tops you might have.

Thank for any comments you might have,
Dan

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First of all, thanks to everyone on this forum. I just bought a P-500 and appreciate all the information I found here that helped me make my decision.

Now I am looking at a windshield and hardtop. I have found several windshields online that fold or flip up to allow air circulation on hot days.

I hope to hear what results members here have had with these types of windshields and any preference for hard tops you might have.

Dan
Welcome from Canton, OH
I don't run a windshield. I use the Honda hard roof.

Reactions: rtn001
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Ar. I have the Honda roof and Honda full tilt out windshield. Wish I would have gotten the hard coat windshield. Mine has a few scratches that make it a little hard to see through at times.

Reactions: rtn001 and 500oneer
MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I bought my full tilting windshield from utvwindshieldsandaccessories.com

I found the seller actually on Amazon was going to order there but they only offered the 3/16" non-scratch resistant one. Went over to their website and ordered the 1/4" abrasion resistant MAR version. It was like a 100 or so more but I didn't want to be looking thru scratches for the entire time I own it. Their website seems to be having some difficulties when browsing for the windshields at the moment but they are still selling them on Amazon so you may have to give them a call if you are interested.

I like the windshield and love being able to fold it down during the warmer months. The one downside the folding version has is the piano hinge isn't water tight. So in real heavy rain you will have some water dripping on to the dash. The dash is pretty water resistant so it isn't a big deal but just to let you know. I'm working on a way to seal it with a bicycle inner tube but that project is unfinished for now.

The roof was a Moose Utility roof off of ebay. It was the cheapest I could find, a little over a $100, and is really just a piece of formed plastic. But it keeps the rain and sun off of me so it does it's job.

Welcome to the forums.

Reactions: CFECO and rtn001
ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda soft top, looked hard at the EMP roof but opted for thrift. Got the Superatv flip up full windshield. Like it alot, but it does not open real high so if you're much over 5' 10" you may be staring right at it. In it's current form it makes getting to the underhood area a pain, but I'm working on a mod to fix that.

C

Chuckie3

Sep 17, 2018
New Fairfield ct
Ownership

1. 500
I have a super atv flip windshield also and did a mod on it so the bottom part hinges works great. There is a guy on the forum that did it

V

vinnie55

Dec 1, 2018
dubuque ia
Ownership

1. 500

Dan
Howdy I went with a glass windshield from USA Windshields . You cant go wrong with glass!!!!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Another vote for the Honda hard roof & tilt windshield, I went with the hard coat version, it has held up very well, even put a wiper & washer on it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Another vote for the Honda hard roof & tilt windshield, I went with the hard coat version, it has held up very well, even put a wiper & washer on it.
Same here, full in winter, half in summer. OEM roof allowed space for a MTX audio pod and ham radio on ROPS.

C5797C11 8DFE 42D4 89F7 18ADC709C1E8 F4CE8D01 AB5A 48BF AD98 DEA9E209801F 9743CCCA F050 4BF9 9A02 5B244E47ED05

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
EMP aluminum roof - I first had the Moose folding windshield which I had issues with:
1st - It's not easy to get hood off to access front storage, so I left bottom clamps off and moved windshield up about 1-1/2 inches, by doing this I was able to spread bottom of windshield enough to remove hood.
2nd - There is about a 6 inch gap at the top of the windshield, while this was great for a GoPro mount, it along with the piano hinge are an absolute pain in the rain, legs get soaked from the thigh down from water coming through the piano hinge.
3rd - The windshield was not hard coated and got quite scratched.
When I bought the roof / windshield combo, I couldn't find any supplier of glass windshield

Early this spring I saw this thread P500 - Honda 500 Full Glass Windshield and called Fred - received the windshield in about 3 days, Quality is excellent as is their packaging. See post #45 page 3 for photos of the sxswindshields windshield on my P5. IMO you can't beat a glass windshield.

BTW - Welcome.

advertisement
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
300FD66B 85E1 4981 AFBA 4052995075FE
4465CC37 A896 472F AEC8 ED4D10CD3F7C

Dan

I have the full tilt Honda windshield and it’s great in winter, summer not so much, when trail riding it bounces around so much it’s hard to keep it open and it seems to really help suck dust into the cab, so for this summer I pulled the windshield and put on a 1/2 Honda windshield
Roofs.. I had a hard top when I purchased the 500, mine rattles and drove me nuts till I was able to put enough foam between it and the roll bar to stop it, hard tops seem to help magnify loud noise inside the cab, I pulled that also for the summer and put on the Bimini top and pulled the back soft window for the summer
Just these few minor changes made the 500 much quieter and enjoyable and seems to have cut down the dust big time
If I was a new owner and wanted to use the 500 in all seasons I’d get both the 1/2 and full windshield from Honda than I’d get the soft top with back window also from Honda, to me it’s the best fit
Depending on how cold it gets in your area of Oregon in the winter if you plan to use it add the Honda doors and your set

Pics above is my 500 dressed for the seasons... enjoy your new purchase

R

RockCreek

May 17, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 130947 View attachment 130946

Depending on how cold it gets in your area of Oregon in the winter if you plan to use it add the Honda doors and your set

Pics above is my 500 dressed for the seasons... enjoy your new purchase

Thanks for the info. My plan is to start off with a windshield and top, then add on doors and back before winter.

What type of doors are you using?

R

RockCreek

May 17, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
EMP aluminum roof -Early this spring I saw this thread P500 - Honda 500 Full Glass Windshield and called Fred - received the windshield in about 3 days, Quality is excellent as is their packaging. See post #45 page 3 for photos of the sxswindshields windshield on my P5. IMO you can't beat a glass windshield.

BTW - Welcome.

Thank you for the information. Sounds like Fred's windshield is the way to go!

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the info. My plan is to start off with a windshield and top, then add on doors and back before winter.

What type of doors are you using?

I use the Honda doors, they don’t make a perfect seal and with adjustment you’ll get them to fit pretty good, very little air comes through them if any even though it has gaps, I highly recommend the Honda soft top with rear window, if you get the doors they all fit together well..
It gets pretty cold around here as you can see in my pics, so, for heat I used a cheap plug in heated car seat cover and it worked ok, but, last winter I discovered Milwaukee tool heated jackets and forgot about the seat cover, the engine sits below you and you’ll get a little heat from that, trails are groomed and open all year here so winter riding is an option, with the Milwaukee jacket, snow pants and good warm boots the 500 is a blast in the winter and it can plow some snow too

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have hard plastic roof that works great . Have a 3 pc windshield {lexan) and it works well . I limo tinted the top pc as it is high . The center folds down onto the hood . No problem opening the hood with the windshield up .
That being said , one I was interest in was the superatv flip up . I was concerned that you couldn't keep it open at top speed (whooopie 40) so I didn't get one .
Fast forward 3 yrs . They responded to a perspective buyers question of just that and their response was "You can keep it open as fast as that Talon will take you" . I ordered one for my Talon as soon as I read that . So far it is awesome . When its fully open there is virtually no wind restriction and as soon as I got it installed I went 75 mph ! A little vibration but that's it .When it's opened to vented position it affords a good amount of air flow too . I have Ryfab glass on my RZR and it's the best (It's glass), it has the vent on the bottom and folds down completely but they don't make one for a P5 or a Talon . If I had to replace my P5 windshield I would go with the superatv flip .

Reactions: rtn001 and 500oneer
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Central Florida. I have the hard roof from Honda which I like. I like the looks of the soft top and would have one but I tow at Interstate speeds to North Carolina and back two or three times a year. I can't imagine a soft roof lasting long at 70 mph plus for 9 1/2 hours one way. I have Honda's tip up hard coat windshield. The tip up allows you to get into the front storage area and as stated above allows air to pass through on hotter days which we have a lot of here. If I were to replace it I would go with glass making sure I could get onto the front storage and it had openings that could be opened for ventilation.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I found a combo that keeps 90% of the dust out.I run the Honda half windscreen with a homemade upper windshield held on with factory Honda rollbar clamps.In the summer I remove the lower half screen,nice good flow of air even at low speeds.The top is the Honda soft version,and the back is enclosed with the Tusk rear panel.In the cooler months,the half shield fills in the gap up front.
DSC01264

R

RockCreek

May 17, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
[QUOTE="DaddyDubbs, post: 458170, Early this spring I saw this thread P500 - Honda 500 Full Glass Windshield and called Fred - received the windshield in about 3 days, Quality is excellent as is their packaging. See post #45 page 3 for photos of the sxswindshields windshield on my P5. IMO you can't beat a glass windshield.

BTW - Welcome.[/QUOTE]

DD, In regards to the glass windshield, do you have any problems with it staying open or bouncing around going across rugged terrain in the open position?
Thanks,
Dan

R

RockCreek

May 17, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Central Florida. I have the hard roof from Honda which I like. I like the looks of the soft top and would have one but I tow at Interstate speeds to North Carolina and back two or three times a year. I can't imagine a soft roof lasting long at 70 mph plus for 9 1/2 hours one way. I have Honda's tip up hard coat windshield. The tip up allows you to get into the front storage area and as stated above allows air to pass through on hotter days which we have a lot of here. If I were to replace it I would go with glass making sure I could get onto the front storage and it had openings that could be opened for ventilation.

The hard top sounds more suitable for the my use and the Honda model easy to take on and off so I am leaning in that direction.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!