P500 Roof or Not

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Just came across a lake without a windshield..brrrrr
The question is do any members run just a windshield?
My driving is fishing-cutting wood-hunting-light trail riding..
Thanks for you opinion

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just came across a lake without a windshield..brrrrr
The question is do any members run just a windshield?
My driving is fishing-cutting wood-hunting-light trail riding..
Thanks for you opinion
You'd die a death by a thousand cuts if you rode without a roof where I ride. The roof being more important than a windshield, and a windshield is very important.;)

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
You'd die a death by a thousand cuts if you rode without a roof where I ride. The roof being more important than a windshield, and a windshield is very important.;)
I know it look weird
I think I spend money on other accessories
I like the openness of no roof

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
sucks in the rain with out one, I really like going for a ride on a rainy day and staying dry.
I really haven't done a ride in the rain
I can understand the benefits in that scenario

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Get a roof. No question. Keeps the rain and branches and other crap from falling on your head. Front wind shield then rear screen would follow.

As others have said, you can get an after market roof, but the OEM roof with those awesome tool-less clamps is the way to go. You can then tuck a rifle or two up under that roof and they'll stay pretty clean.

I made my own front windshield for half the price of the Honda product AND I used the Honda clamps. I'd definitely do that and there are several threads here.

I use my P5 like you. Around the acreage, trail riding with momma, then hard core hunting. My opinion, get a roof.
Al

advertisement
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Get a roof. No question. Keeps the rain and branches and other crap from falling on your head. Front wind shield then rear screen would follow.

As others have said, you can get an after market roof, but the OEM roof with those awesome tool-less clamps is the way to go. You can then tuck a rifle or two up under that roof and they'll stay pretty clean.

I made my own front windshield for half the price of the Honda product AND I used the Honda clamps. I'd definitely do that and there are several threads here.

I use my P5 like you. Around the acreage, trail riding with momma, then hard core hunting. My opinion, get a roof.
Al
Thanks Al seems like the forum agrees with you

J

Jshell3

Thanks Al seems like the forum agrees with you
I struggled with adding a roof or not. Strictly from a cost factor... I just knew if I could hold out, a $80 aftermarket one would come out.

I paid for the Honda roof. $350 ish.

I'd do it again. You really can't start building until it has a roof.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I made one (roof) from clear Lexan and used nutserts to attach it, then windshield, then rear cab from 3mm UHMW. used Honda ROPS clamps for windshield and rear cab. Where I ride, climate and terrain has made me appreciate the roof.

Should have pix in my link page.

jrc

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I struggled with adding a roof or not. Strictly from a cost factor... I just knew if I could hold out, a $80 aftermarket one would come out.

I paid for the Honda roof. $350 ish.

I'd do it again. You really can't start building until it has a roof.

When I bought my P5 Sept of 2014 here in Canada there was no selection for tops. Price for Honda hard top and soft top at the time was not working for me. Considered DIY soft top using trucking tarp material as it is really tough but decided on a hard top for strength. Went with clear Lexan to let more light in and I'm gonna guess 5mm (3/8") thick? This roof adds significant structural integrity to the ROPS, I also added an extra cross bar in the roof and tie down tracks on top the roof. So far have been pleased and it's put up with heavy abuse from brush and low trees. I have pix in my link of roof, cab and front window. I wanna redo my front window once it gets scratched beyond function. V2 will be more user friendly. With a few hand tools, skill saw, scroll saw and drill and of course time... cost wise (if you don't consider your time) and I like to mess with stuff, I figure I'm ahead. Ok ok... I can rationalize buying more tools... heh heh.

j

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
... then windshield, then rear cab from 3mm UHMW. used Honda ROPS clamps for windshield and rear cab...

Should have pix in my link page.

jrc

I'd like to see that rear screen. Don't know and can't find a links page. Could you post a link or pics of your uhmw rear screen? That's my next project. Thanx Al

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
IMO, the roof offers so many benefits it's a must have. As stated many times, easy to take off if you want to ride without it, but you can't wish it on when you realize that you need it.

Reactions: sgerksinwi
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I'd like to see that rear screen. Don't know and can't find a links page. Could you post a link or pics of your uhmw rear screen? That's my next project. Thanx Al

Hi Air, if you look down to my signature below you'll see a link to pix address, just click on that and it'll take you to a bunch of my P5 mods cheers.

jrc

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!