Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I carry 2 one gallon Roto Pax's. They are expensive, especially the mounts but they ride solid. Have the aftermarket spouts too but they don't leak at all. As mentioned, you've got to vent them occasionally.

SC1 1

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I am a cheap bastard and bought these off brand fuel cans from Amazon... Had one for about 2.5 years and it's bounced all around the back of my truck and the back of the pioneer and never leaked. Just bought another
PXL 20220327 193602671

PXL 20220327 163813300

S

saw1

Apr 17, 2018
Fallon, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I learned the hard way about venting. I had one mounted on the back of my SxS and let it sit in the hot sun one summer afternoon in Nevada and an hour later as I walked behind the SxS I was sprayed with a Gasoline mist coming from a rupture near the center of the container. I emptied it and have not used it since because I'm afraid that it will continue to leak and with gasoline as expensive as it is right now I can't see taking a chance and wasting precious fuel. Does anyone know if the plastic can be patched ?

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Rotopax has a 10 yr warranty, you will probably have to pay shipping and send a picture of a hole you drilled into the bad one. I wouldn't try patching one, myself, as that plastic can be tough to find a good bonding agent for.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I learned the hard way about venting. I had one mounted on the back of my SxS and let it sit in the hot sun one summer afternoon in Nevada and an hour later as I walked behind the SxS I was sprayed with a Gasoline mist coming from a rupture near the center of the container. I emptied it and have not used it since because I'm afraid that it will continue to leak and with gasoline as expensive as it is right now I can't see taking a chance and wasting precious fuel. Does anyone know if the plastic can be patched ?
My dad has a kolpin roto pax style gas can. I borrowed it last year and there was a pinhole leak in one of the corners. I roughed the area up with some coarse sand paper. Cut a strip of plastic from a jug of windshield washer fluid. Laid the strip over the hole in the tank and heated it up with a heat gun. Kinda worked it in with a flat screw driver. It never leaked during our trip to west Virginia that week and has been good ever since. Zoom in on the bottom left corner of it and you can barely see it there.
20210412 184840

LJP

LJP

Nov 6, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520

I went with the larger Rotopax, have had it for years, previously on Honda ATVs. I built the framing (between the Rotopax and the front of the bed and the hooks on the deck bed) using 3/4 aluminum so it takes up very little space on the deck bed. Works well but does affect opening the dump box - need to assist in opening.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've used a pair of 1 gal. Rotopax fuel packs for several years, on both my Yamaha Grizzly and now on the Talon. The only complaint I have is the expense of the packs and the mounts. That said, I suppose you get what you pay for, as they've been absolutely bulletproof in the years I've owned them. As many have indicated, just as with any plastic fuel can, you need to vent them occasionally to relieve pressure from sun heating and/or pressure differences due to altitude change.

I've ordered two 2 gal. versions from Chaparral which are supposed to be delivered tomorrow, as I prefer to have more fuel backup for the Talon vs. the Grizzly for which I originally bought them. I have every reason to believe they'll be just as good as the 1 gal.

BTW - I've got a white 2 gal. water can too.

Steve

Reactions: Buggyman
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
The last time I looked, koplin fuel paks seem to have been discontinued. Mine has been great, and I'm sure the roto paks will be equally as good. You can't use them on a Polaris, though :rolleyes:
I kick myself everyday for not buying the big ATV rack sized Kolpin one. They had an open box one at Sportsmans Warehouse for like 75% off, but I talked myself out of it at the time because I only had the Rubicon and didn't want that huge tank on the rack. Would have been awesome in the Pioneer....

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I kick myself everyday for not buying the big ATV rack sized Kolpin one. They had an open box one at Sportsmans Warehouse for like 75% off, but I talked myself out of it at the time because I only had the Rubicon and didn't want that huge tank on the rack. Would have been awesome in the Pioneer....
I actually bought mine for the front rack of my old 450S.

IMG 1939

Logged a couple of thousand miles there. Then on to the first 700, where it logged... probably 5K (didn't run it all the time). I got the 500 but didn't hassle with trying to strap it to the rack, but I eventually I got a "bed" on it, so maybe 1-2 k on it. Then 3500 or so on this 700. In that time, it's never leaked a drop despite puffing up pretty good at times (I will vent it on a hot day). Anymore, I only run it half full.

What it will do is leak when you fill it up sometimes. The spout gets cocked when tightening the cap, you turn it up, and a bit of fuel come out but also lubes up the rubber seal, so you loosen and retighten, and then it's good until the next fill. I did have to source a new dust cap when mice chewed mine off. Been a good piece of equipment, and shows no signs of stopping. Interesting, considering everyone told me to get the roto pax because the koplins leak.

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Roto Pax--great product! I have the same setup as CID. You're supposed to vent them? How often? Whenever the temperature or elevation changes? Never even gave it any thought. Mine is always full and have never had an issue, even when it was trailered from Baja to Montana.

Now, I am going to get a better spout system, because the stock EPA-required one sucks if you ever have to use it.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!