P1000 RPMs in AT mode at various speeds

rllackey28

rllackey28

Aug 20, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to the Pioneer world. Just purchased on Friday. Not new to Honda. Had a 450 Foreman for years. Then took a detour into owning a RZR before coming back to Honda with a 500 Foreman which I traded in on my 1000-5.

Having already searched this forum and googling the whole internet, decided to post and ask since I found nothing right off. Does any have a table/correlation between RPMs in AT mode based on speed? Was cruising in AT Sport and noticed at 55 mph RPMs was up around 6000. Was wondering if that was normal.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
rllackey28 said:
New to the Pioneer world. Just purchased on Friday. Not new to Honda. Had a 450 Foreman for years. Then took a detour into owning a RZR before coming back to Honda with a 500 Foreman which I traded in on my 1000-5.

Having already searched this forum and googling the whole internet, decided to post and ask since I found nothing right off. Does any have a table/correlation between RPMs in AT mode based on speed? Was cruising in AT Sport and noticed at 55 mph RPMs was up around 6000. Was wondering if that was normal.

Sport mode is definitely going to run higher RPM's and change the shift points. Its is possible you were in 5th gear and not 6th... I actually like to use sport mode for towing, hauling, and plowing snow, just because it runs higher rpms before shifting and avoids lugging the motor under those loads. If you're just cruising around I would run the standard mode and not sport. Engine RPM's and correlated speed are going to be the same for standard or sport mode provided you are in the same gear. The only difference is Sport mode will shift at a much higher RPM.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the site!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Seems high-geared according to my math. I know mine redlines/limits at 8000 rpm/66 mph. For fun I ran at 33 mph and sure enough, the tach was at 4000 rpm. This works out to 121.21 rpm per mph in 6th gear. Apply that formula to 55 mph and that would work out to 6667 RPMs on my machine. Mine is a 2016 but I haven't heard of any gear ratio changes.

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Welcome, yes it’s normal, Sport just raises the shift points some.

Back when the 700 was the only option, there was a lot of discussion of how to pull just a few more horsepower out of it. Someone even put a turbo on it and did a gear swap(had about the same performance as a 1000, it was grim inducing). It was discovered that Honda engineered it for the redline but not at full horsepower, they had put small things here and there in the intake and various other places that limited the maximum horsepower. All of those things combined allowed the reliability to be maintained at redline.

I am not sure about the 1000 but Honda has a design philosophy that as a corporate and national culture they adhere to fairly strictly. Based off of that and the fact a couple of members have been able to make DRASTIC performance increases to a otherwise stock motor by changing a few parts out (and occasionally adding a turbo). I would make the assumption that the 1000 is fine running at the 8000ish rpm redline to full 66mph. I wouldn’t try to run down the interstate for an hour but based off that assumption and the facts we “know” about Honda I don’t think it hurts it one bit with reasonable use.

The 1000motor ain’t a 1990 motor the tech in it is MUCH different.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome, yes it’s normal, Sport just raises the shirt points some.

Back when the 700 was the only option, there was a lot of discussion of how to pull just a few more horsepower out of it. Someone even put a turbo on it and did a gear swap(had about the same performance as a 1000, it was grim inducing). It was discovered that Honda engineered it for the redline but not at full horsepower, they had put small things here and there in the intake and various other places that limited the maximum horsepower. All of those things combined allowed the reliability to be maintained at redline.

I am not sure about the 1000 but Honda has a design philosophy that as a corporate and national culture they adhere to fairly strictly. Based off of that and the fact a couple of members have been able to make DRASTIC performance increases to a otherwise stock motor by changing a few parts out (and occasionally adding a turbo). I would make the assumption that the 1000 is fine running at the 8000rpm redline to fun 66mph. I wouldn’t try to run down the interstate for an hour but based off that assumption and the facts we “know” about Honda I don’t think it hurts it one bit with reasonable use.

The 1000motor ain’t a 1990 motor the tech in it is MUCH different.
Agreed. I run mine at wot for a minute or two at a time on a regular basis. The engine doesn't seem to mind at all.

rllackey28

rllackey28

Aug 20, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, great. Thanks for all the answers. I even asked the dealer (I've coached his kid in youth basketball) because I didn't want to chance it.

BTW, what took me so long to get one of these lol?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
OK, great. Thanks for all the answers. I even asked the dealer (I've coached his kid in youth basketball) because I didn't want to chance it.

BTW, what took me so long to get one of these lol?
Love the yellow

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
...they had put small things here and there in the intake and various other places that limited the maximum horsepower. All of those things combined allowed the reliability to be maintained at redline.
Elaborate on this?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!