P500 Rusty's Juicebox #nohomo

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
That bumper looks ready for a winch. Nice look.
Thanks Mudder - I've got the superwinch and SATV power steering sitting in the garage staring at me everyday when I get home. Once I get this wiring figured out and those 2 big things installed, it should hopefully 🤞be smooth sailing.

The old lady has been bugging me to take it out and I've got the itch now that it's starting to come together. Will have to figure out the trailer situation next.

Thanks again for everyone's input/help/advice/encouragement. Helps a lot!

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Ok I think* I've got this thing dialed in - my question I guess is...I've always thought you wanted to make sure to run the winch directly back to the battery. I've got it outlined in the diagram and wired this way:

Rustywiring2

I'm wondering if it is safe to run the solenoid to the frame posts instead of through the Superwinch supplied breaker and directly to battery...(I will have only 1 positive wire and 1 negative wire running back to the battery, with the 1 breaker....

Rustywiring3

• Haha
Reactions: J80
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I wired the breaker into mine.
Where did you mount the superwinch breaker? I noticed you had the winch solenoid mounted on the driver's side under the hood.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ok I think* I've got this thing dialed in - my question I guess is...I've always thought you wanted to make sure to run the winch directly back to the battery. I've got it outlined in the diagram and wired this way:

View attachment 277764

I'm wondering if it is safe to run the solenoid to the frame posts instead of through the Superwinch supplied breaker and directly to battery...(I will have only 1 positive wire and 1 negative wire running back to the battery, with the 1 breaker....

View attachment 277765
I like your graphic skills, what software?

I would vote for the lower graphic showing the winch power off the aux terminal block posts because your 4 guage wires to them is already just an extension of your battery posts. Besides that, the battery box will already be a snug fit with just your 4 ga wire. My 6 gauge wire was a sung fit as is.

As far as the breakers, If you use both, remember that if the switched breaker tripped first, you reset it manually. If the supplied thermal winch breakers tripped, they reset when they cool down.

If your switched circuit breaker is a higher amp rating than the max winch draw, then you must use the thermal breaker supplied with the winch, in addition to the switched circuit breaker… Clear as mud, LOL

Last edited:
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I like your graphic skills, what software?

I would vote for the lower graphic showing the winch power off the aux terminal block posts because your 4 guage wires to them is already just an extension of your battery posts. Besides that, the battery box will already be a snug fit with just your 4 ga wire. My 6 gauge wire was a sung fit as is.

As far as the breakers, If you use both, remember that if the switched breaker tripped first, you reset it manually. If the supplied thermal winch breakers tripped, they reset when they cool down.

If your switched circuit breaker is a higher amp rating than the max winch draw, then you must use the thermal breaker supplied with the winch, in addition to the switched circuit breaker… Clear as mud, LOL

Copy and paste in paint 🤣 🤣 Im a huge visual person so kinda need to get this thing in front of me to see how it all comes together.

I was leaning on the lower graphic with the solenoid going directly to the frame posts, just wasn't sure on if I needed both breakers. the superwinch specs are:

Line Pull, 0 lbs
21 Amps Motor Draw/15.0 FPM (4.6 MPM) Line Speed
Line Pull, 4,500 lbs
178 Amps Motor Draw/5.5 FPM (1.7 MPM) Line Speed

So max draw is about 175-180 amps. Will I be good with the 200 amp breaker?

I have the relay, + - posts, and the 200 amp breaker coming from Amazon. The rest of the stuff is sitting in my garage. I will probably have to run to the hardware store for some connectors, but hoping I will have everything I need.

Thanks again!!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
A good rule of thumb is to avoid stalling your winch. I have a pulley with hook and a tree saver strap to double line if I am close the maxing out the winch.

As you have a 200 amp breaker, use the supplied winch thermal breakers for its 175 amp motor protection. That 200 amp breaker will protect your 4 guage wire just fine.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
A good rule of thumb is to avoid stalling your winch. I have a pulley with hook and a tree saver strap to double line if I am close the maxing out the winch.

As you have a 200 amp breaker, use the supplied winch thermal breakers for its 175 amp motor protection. That 200 amp breaker will protect your 4 guage wire just fine.
So you're saying I should use both the 200 amp breaker from amazon and also the breaker that came with the winch? So that would be the first graphic? I re-read your second paragraph/couple of sentences 10 times and I'm trying to make sure I'm understanding 🤣 Thanks!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
On the top graphic, move the red line between the thermal breaker and 12 v battery up to the red terminal block. No need to run a duplicate winch power back to the battery. The thermal breakers should bolt right onto the terminal block.
.9F0EDBEC 4C1C 4B1C 8540 A63D23FCFD15

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Ok got it!! So the winch breaker will be mounted somewhere short under the hood and then go to the red post under the hood. That definitely makes sense. Here is an updated graphic:

Rustywiring4

Cant thank you enough!!

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Got the MFG Receiver installed (1195CMP - 2" Receiver Hitch for 2015-2019 Honda Pioneer 500 UTVs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply) ...and Im not sure what happened, but it basically doubled in price since I bought it.

Fit perfect and bolted right up, real happy with how it turned out. I have a small 1-1/4 inch receiver coming for the factory hitch to use for hooking up the ice hut (CURT 45014 Class II Ball Mount)

View attachment 278243
View attachment 278244
Looks great. A good mod for sure. Since I added my 2 inch Moose receiver the factory 1 1/4 one has never been used. I tow my 16 ft trailer with a 275 gal water tote and 2 in gas pump and fire hoses no problems.

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Got the MFG Receiver installed (1195CMP - 2" Receiver Hitch for 2015-2019 Honda Pioneer 500 UTVs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply) ...and Im not sure what happened, but it basically doubled in price since I bought it.

Fit perfect and bolted right up, real happy with how it turned out. I have a small 1-1/4 inch receiver coming for the factory hitch to use for hooking up the ice hut (CURT 45014 Class II Ball Mount)

View attachment 278243
View attachment 278244
Looks great! I ordered one and FedEx said they delivered it 2 weeks ago, still haven’t seen it. Dealing with FedEx is a slow process.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Looks great. A good mod for sure. Since I added my 2 inch Moose receiver the factory 1 1/4 one has never been used. I tow my 16 ft trailer with a 275 gal water tote and 2 in gas pump and fire hoses no problems.
Thanks man, thats great to hear for sure! It definitely does seem pretty stout
Looks great! I ordered one and FedEx said they delivered it 2 weeks ago, still haven’t seen it. Dealing with FedEx is a slow process.
Thanks BigTee, hopefully it gets there soon...I know the painful delayed/lost mail all too well. Good news when it does, you'll have that thing on lickity split

Reactions: J80 and Bigtee
KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Last edited:
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
All that wiring for the winch was waaaaaay more complicated than what I did ..... no breaker for my winch.
I think I would be fine without the breaker, but I'm trying to do everything right the first time and plan for future accessories/add ons and don't want to have to rewire anything again 🤣 ...and knowing my luck prevent a disaster...
Giphy 1

What size trailer is this? Trailer is on my list as well.
It's a 6.5 x 13 Targhee from Ryan Howell in ID - Targhee TU6613 - RHM Trailers . I debated a while on size and looked at used, but landed on this one. Real happy with it so far.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I think I would be fine without the breaker, but I'm trying to do everything right the first time and plan for future accessories/add ons and don't want to have to rewire anything again 🤣 ...and knowing my luck prevent a disaster...
View attachment 278448

It's a 6.5 x 13 Targhee from Ryan Howell in ID - Targhee TU6613 - RHM Trailers . I debated a while on size and looked at used, but landed on this one. Real happy with it so far.
Thanks for the info! I like the deck on this one. I am in the great trailer debate right now myself. Trying to decide between a trailer for 2 machines or just a single.. or possibly one big enough for a single and a quad.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!