ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
I decided to go with 9" wide all around

Sage advice, sage advice.

My P5 will spend the bulk of its service life as a hunting/utility rig. Toting, hauling and transporting my kit during hunting season. The Mrs has a Mule that we use around the homestead, so I don't have to worry about using the P5 for domestic chores. I've looked at pictures of the 9" set up from other members. Aesthetically, I like the stance. Economically, I could save a few quid. That's always a plus.

What I know.
1. Going with Sedona rubber
2. Going same size 4x and a spare.

TBD - 9" vice 11"

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings - Can anyone post up their comments REF: Sedona Rip-Saw tires?? Looking for any and all comments regarding wear, performance and ride-ability..Looking at 26" for the P500.

Criteria:

1. Hunting Rig.
2. Utility rig in the following terrain: Mountains <(Appalachian), snow, mud, clay loam, some loose stone.
3. Bang for the buck..
4. Wear and tear.

All comments and reviews!!!
I really like my Rip-Saws. Living in Colorado we get just about every type of terrain you can think of and they have not disappointed yet and they seem to be holding up really good. Close to 700 miles on them and no sign of wear. The only issue I had was on some really slick sticky surface mud and had to go so slow that the tires could not clean themselves out and got to be about 14" wide with mud.

I would not recommend the 26" as they will rob power. A P5 owner and a mechanic at the local Honda dealer has the 26" and he said he would not do it again but go with the 25"

Reactions: 100Acre
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Elevation is a factor in power loss as well.

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
Elevation is a factor in power loss as well.

^^^Indeed.

I'll be >4K for the most part. That constitutes "flat land" compared to some of the elevations in the west. I'm not considering that as a criteria for me personally.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
^^^Indeed.

I'll be >4K for the most part. That constitutes "flat land" compared to some of the elevations in the west. I'm not considering that as a criteria for me personally.
Yes I know, which is why I made the comment, IMO 26's will be fine for you.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have heard before that the ripsaws are quite a heavy tire....probably a side effect of being so tough. I'd still go 26" though. The machine does seem to be made for 26" tires.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I have heard before that the ripsaws are quite a heavy tire....probably a side effect of being so tough. I'd still go 26" though. The machine does seem to be made for 26" tires.
You heard correctly ehart, they are quite heavy but on the plus side I think the weight of these tires keep me from tipping over on a very slick hillside because where I came to stop after the slide the spousal unit could not open her door to get out but all 4 stayed on the ground.

D

Deleted member 3748

I'm following this thread closely and I have some ???s. It looks like the Rip Saws, Bear Claws, and Big Horn 2s are all about the same price, give or take $10. The weights are also similar. For 11" wide, 36, 33, and 30 lbs each. Does that seem accurate? Will the difference in weight between those three matter much?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm following this thread closely and I have some ???s. It looks like the Rip Saws, Bear Claws, and Big Horn 2s are all about the same price, give or take $10. The weights are also similar. For 11" wide, 36, 33, and 30 lbs each. Does that seem accurate? Will the difference in weight between those three matter much?
You should be able to find a better deal on the bearclaws. They were much cheaper when I was purchasing - at least $20 less per tire, maybe $30 but I can't remember exactly. I bought them for like $85 a piece at the time. I do not have any complaints about the weight of the tires. They are 8 ply, but the sidewall is much softer than I expected and they ride very smooth compared to the stockers.

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
Will the difference in weight between those three matter much?

Right, wrong or misguided, I used my operating environment as a screening criteria for my selection of the Sedona tirres. Weight, during my decision process was not "weighted" (no pun intended) as a criteria above wear. The only major soil composition I don't contend with is sand. Also, the TDPP (Tire Decision Purchase Process) <<< I made that up / included as part of my operator maintenance schedule, a tire rotation plan. One size meets that requirement. Also, until "airless technology" catches up with my discretionary income, I'll mount a spare too.

While in my opinion, unsprung weight is a factor in design considerations, in my (our) case with the P5, the independent front and rear suspension, help mitigate unsprung weight and allow, especially in the smaller tires IE 24-26" variety, negligible ill effect.

So, at the end of the day my P5 will see utilitarian use in and around my hunting camp, 4K elevation, no sand.

Everyone on this forum will have different selection criteria. They'll weight their selection criteria differently and naturally interject their experience level, operating environment and personal preference as a factor too. There have been volumes devoted here to "Tars". With some pretty fair and unbiased opinions offered.

OK, I said all that (gotta lay of the caffeine) to say, "in my opinion for my application, operating environment and maintenace requirements, the weight from "stock-ers" to 26" Sedona's was not a consideration...

D

Deleted member 3748

I like this thread over the others because you're not wavering much from your original thought. When I research tires on the entire forum, I can find good and bad info on any tire. I can stay focused here! As a NASCAR fan, I pay attention to unsprung weight, and since you said "tars" I think you may be a fan yourself. :) But I don't feel 5 lbs would make a difference, like you said.

My terrain covers everything except rock and that peanut butter mud they have in the south. Lots of snow here.

I found a video review of a Rip Saw test on a P500. But they were 27" x 11" all the way around. If you're interested, I'll post it, but I understand if you don't want any more tire decisions to make!

Thanks for your input and thanks for the thread. I'm looking forward to your results.

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Lo
Greetings - Can anyone post up their comments REF: Sedona Rip-Saw tires?? Looking for any and all comments regarding wear, performance and ride-ability..Looking at 26" for the P500.

Criteria:

1. Hunting Rig.
2. Utility rig in the following terrain: Mountains <(Appalachian), snow, mud, clay loam, some loose stone.
3. Bang for the buck..
4. Wear and tear.

All comments and reviews!!!
I figured you would appreciate it!
Love the Frank avatar.

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
C

cornbread

Feb 23, 2016
East Tenn
Looking to replace factory tires and rims on my P5. Couple of questions. Would 26x9x12 on all four corners be safe for tipping? I'm in East Tennessee and ride some steep terrain. Also, do the Bearclaw HTR's run true to size? I want to fit between fender wells in my pick up bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looking to replace factory tires and rims on my P5. Couple of questions. Would 26x9x12 on all four corners be safe for tipping? I'm in East Tennessee and ride some steep terrain. Also, do the Bearclaw HTR's run true to size? I want to fit between fender wells in my pick up bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What kind of rims do you intend to go with?

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Right, wrong or misguided, I used my operating environment as a screening criteria for my selection of the Sedona tirres. Weight, during my decision process was not "weighted" (no pun intended) as a criteria above wear. The only major soil composition I don't contend with is sand. Also, the TDPP (Tire Decision Purchase Process) <<< I made that up / included as part of my operator maintenance schedule, a tire rotation plan. One size meets that requirement. Also, until "airless technology" catches up with my discretionary income, I'll mount a spare too.

While in my opinion, unsprung weight is a factor in design considerations, in my (our) case with the P5, the independent front and rear suspension, help mitigate unsprung weight and allow, especially in the smaller tires IE 24-26" variety, negligible ill effect.

So, at the end of the day my P5 will see utilitarian use in and around my hunting camp, 4K elevation, no sand.

Everyone on this forum will have different selection criteria. They'll weight their selection criteria differently and naturally interject their experience level, operating environment and personal preference as a factor too. There have been volumes devoted here to "Tars". With some pretty fair and unbiased opinions offered.

OK, I said all that (gotta lay of the caffeine) to say, "in my opinion for my application, operating environment and maintenace requirements, the weight from "stock-ers" to 26" Sedona's was not a consideration...
You may want to check out ATVTV.com. look under product reviews and go down till you see 27x9x14 Rip Saw mounted on the P5, that may help with your decision and as I said in an earlier post I really like mine.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ripsaws

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!