Shift selector lever adjust Talon 1000

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My Talon 1000x doesn't always go into low range when I move the gear selector to the L position. I assume the shift cable needs a minor adjustment but where is the adjustment made?

J

JTW

My Talon 1000x doesn't always go into low range when I move the gear selector to the L position. I assume the shift cable needs a minor adjustment but where is the adjustment made?
In the shift cable adjustment box

Reactions: Shooter63
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are the first to ask.
Screenshot 20190511 101943

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just went out for the first ride after the 20 hour service. I asked them to adjust the cable because I had issues engaging low. Well not only is it still doing it, but it's even popping out of low after it's already moved forward.

Why is the shift gate so huge for low? Has anyone made a better shift gate for low?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just went out for the first ride after the 20 hour service. I asked them to adjust the cable because I had issues engaging low. Well not only is it still doing it, but it's even popping out of low after it's already moved forward.

Why is the shift gate so huge for low? Has anyone made a better shift gate for low?
I engineered and printed a prototype that moves P,R,N,H forward about 3mm and reworked and added 4mm to Low at the back. After adjusting the cable to the more forward neutral position, it is giving me 7mm more throw for Low. I have installed it but not tested yet to see if it makes any difference. It may be a while due to weather but as soon as I give it a good testing, I will start a new thread.

MAJspoon

MAJspoon

Lifetime Member
Jan 9, 2020
Cadiz, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Following this post, would love to see a video of the shift cable linkage adjustment. Mine will randomly not going to low gear.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I engineered and printed a prototype that moves P,R,N,H forward about 3mm and reworked and added 4mm to Low at the back. After adjusting the cable to the more forward neutral position, it is giving me 7mm more throw for Low. I have installed it but not tested yet to see if it makes any difference. It may be a while due to weather but as soon as I give it a good testing, I will start a new thread.

Nice, I "engineered" one as well. OK, well, it was on a piece of cardboard and all I did was move the low gate further back and smaller. I was close to making a prototype out of wood, but I couldn't bring myself to do that to the machine. I was close to ordering a piece of uhmw off of Amazon to make my own, but I wasn't sure what the dealer would think of it.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Mine is sometimes difficult to get into low on cold start. After about 10 minutes of warmup it goes into low ok. If I move it forward or back a couple inches it will usually go into low. I use low range to load it onto my trailer. For reverse and high range you can over shift to get it into gear. Just remember when its fully into gear the shift lever will be centered in the shift gate. I always wiggle the shift lever to make sure its not loaded forward in the shift gate. Taking your foot off the brake may help. Large tires may make it more difficult to go into gear too. My Talon has 8,739 miles now.

Reactions: TripleB
spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
What I don't understand is why are these things so damn picky about going into low gear? I had 3 different popo's and never had to adjust anything. My transmission is damaged now due to jumping out of low after moving about ten feet. I realize these are wet clutch transmissions, but damn. I am thinking if I can lower the idle rpm's it will allow the gears/shift dogs/forks to transfer and mesh together better? Thoughts?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Some are difficult to get into low. Mine started at around 4,000 miles. It is ok after about 10 minutes of warmup. I shift quick and don't let it grind. Sometimes I have to move it slightly in high range then a quick shift into low. Mine never jumps out of gear. I'm at 9,823 miles now. I will get it fixed before I sell it at 20,000 miles. Never had this problem with my Pioneer 1000's. Put 23,500 miles on them. The Talon sub trans is slightly different with a different case, low gear, a bearing, and main shaft. If you look up the parts the HL4 parts are Pioneer, HL6 is Talon. You will need at least 2 new gears. Your shop may find a problem so let us know what they find.

Reactions: TripleB
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
What I don't understand is why are these things so damn picky about going into low gear? I had 3 different popo's and never had to adjust anything. My transmission is damaged now due to jumping out of low after moving about ten feet. I realize these are wet clutch transmissions, but damn. I am thinking if I can lower the idle rpm's it will allow the gears/shift dogs/forks to transfer and mesh together better? Thoughts?

I keep reading about more and more people having the same issue. I think honda needs to issue a recall for a better designed shift gate.

You really shouldn't have to stare at the dash and wiggle the shifter around every time you go into low. All the 200k+ mile beater cars and trucks I've had never had this issue, so there is no excuse for the talon.

Reactions: spentcoins
J

JTW

I keep reading about more and more people having the same issue. I think honda needs to issue a recall for a better designed shift gate.

You really shouldn't have to stare at the dash and wiggle the shifter around every time you go into low. All the 200k+ mile beater cars and trucks I've had never had this issue, so there is no excuse for the talon.
Have you tried lubricating it with California liberal tears??

raycox4385

raycox4385

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 700-2

Attachments

• shift freeplay.pdf
    522.5 KB · Views: 350
raycox4385

raycox4385

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 700-2

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!