Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I've noticed several times in the last few weeks that it takes several shifts to go from L to 22nd gear. The engine retards but it won't shift up. Seems to usually happen when it's cold.

Well today after cleaning it up after the takeover it got hung in reverse. Finally turned it off and that fixed it for a few minutes. Just now while driving around the yard it got hung in L several times before finally being able to upshift.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I've noticed several times in the last few weeks that it takes several shifts to go from L to 22nd gear. The engine retards but it won't shift up. Seems to usually happen when it's cold.

Well today after cleaning it up after the takeover it got hung in reverse. Finally turned it off and that fixed it for a few minutes. Just now while driving around the yard it got hung in L several times before finally being able to upshift.
Did you try adjusting your clutch ?

Reactions: Moose308
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My does it...cold
..let it run for a few
...shifts fine

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Yeah I just tried it with help from your YouTube video. Seemed to be pretty close to Honda specs. It may be a little more increased play than what it was set from the factory.

The adjustment screw was wanting to turn as I tightned the lock but down but I got it fairly close.

Reactions: Miss_Oak
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Glad you found my video on youtube. You need to hold the adjustment screw in place with a screwdriver while you tighten the nut.

Thanks!

I had a screwdriver on it but it still wanted to turn when I tried to snug lock nut. I may have been trying to get the nut too tight.

D

Deleted member 3748

Have you checked the oil level? How long since the last oil change? Which oil did you use?

advertisement
D

Deleted member 3748

Your oil should be okay. Have you tested it after the clutch adjustment?

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Just took it around the yard. It's shifting fine for now. Hopefully it doesn't happen anymore. I'll try it again tommorow when it's cold. Thanks Piston Honda for your assistance and YouTube video.

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Glad you found my video on youtube. You need to hold the adjustment screw in place with a screwdriver while you tighten the nut.
Sorry if i missed an obvious answer. Is it best to adjust the clutch when the P500 is warm or cold?

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
@Bad_bowtie did you fix the problem ? If so how ? Mine sorta does the same thing and it seems like its been getting a little worse.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
@Bad_bowtie did you fix the problem ? If so how ? Mine sorta does the same thing and it seems like its been getting a little worse.

Haven't had time to ride it much to be able to tell. I adjusted the clutch, not sure if it made any difference. I did ride it around the yard 1 time and it acted fine. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
Haven't had time to ride it much to be able to tell. I adjusted the clutch, not sure if it made any difference. I did ride it around the yard 1 time and it acted fine. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Ok good to know thank you. :)

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
@Miss_Oak - Adjusting the clutch is very easy and is worth a try if you're having shifting issues.

P500 - Pioneer 500 Clutch Adjustment (Video)

Thank you so much @PistonHonda !!! I may give it a try myself or if it looks like I'm in over my head, I'll have the mechanic do it when he services it. :)

I really appreciate everyones help because i'm not mechanically inclined and you all have a wealth of knowledge!!!! You know these rigs backwards and forwards, in and out, top to bottom!!!!!

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you so much @PistonHonda !!! I may give it a try myself or if it looks like I'm in over my head, I'll have the mechanic do it when he services it. :)

I really appreciate everyones help because i'm not mechanically inclined and you all have a wealth of knowledge!!!! You know these rigs backwards and forwards, in and out, top to bottom!!!!!

@PistonHonda Just watched your video.... It is excellent !! I think even this ol hen can do it! Hahaha Thanks again!!!!

advertisement