BOX1

P1000 Shock question

J

JTW

But to a certain extent that’s half the fun, I completely get what your saying though But I will say I doubt a KRX will haul out my bull elk from way back in no mans land or haul my kids and hunting buddies around plus all our crap.

Well.... I bought mine for overlanding. It will haul more than you’d expect. There’s a foot of room behind the seats. And my two daughters sit in the bed when where just goofing off riding around here. But trail riding with them I wouldn’t do... that’s the disadvantage. It’s better compared to the 3 seat pioneer in that regard. And why I’ll have a 4 seat KRX to replace the pioneer when it comes.

oh... and as for that elk. There are several options.

51B3C9DF 7ED1 453C BF47 D805A213AF18
BF9B2CFC 6039 4A43 97D1 DB631863C403
1233D736 82D9 4A14 807C 3B6272B5A97B
E51025B1 EF5B 43D8 B213 B570973D0D4C
55D6BEC1 16CB 4538 96AA 50BB4B2DEF90

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My advice is to not do what I and others have done. Don’t allow yourself to go down the rabbit hole and get 25k plus into this thing. It’s horrible in that regard. Everything is improvable on it and you’ll spend a fortune trying to get it there. You’ll be better off buying another machine than spending the money chasing something this machine isn’t.
There is some sage advise in that statement. We were just starting to do the exact thing with our P1000. After using my sons FOX equipped Pioneer, I spent several weeks looking into suspension improvements (watching the neighbors RZR smoke by was also a motivator I'll admit). The rule of diminishing cost returns on investment definitely applies to Poineer suspension geometry. After the tracks come off this spring it will be a set of Fox shocks for a noticeable improvement and done. Trying to make a a good, solid pick up truck into a trophy truck is possible, but it's going to cost more than just buying a trophy truck in the first place. When your done with the process (whch you really will never be), your still going to miss the pick up truck for its inherent practicality. For it's purpose, the Poineer is in a pretty sweet design envelope with a few tweeks.

J

JTW

There is some sage advise in that statement. We were just starting to do the exact thing with our P1000. After using my sons FOX equipped Pioneer, I spent several weeks looking into suspension improvements (watching the neighbors RZR smoke by was also a motivator I'll admit). The rule of diminishing cost returns on investment definitely applies to Poineer suspension geometry. After the tracks come off this spring it will be a set of Fox shocks for a noticeable improvement and done. Trying to make a a good, solid pick up truck into a trophy truck is possible, but it's going to cost more than just buying a trophy truck in the first place. When your done with the process (whch you really will never be), your still going to miss the pick up truck for its inherent practicality. For it's purpose, the Poineer is in a pretty sweet design envelope with a few tweeks.
Exactly.. and unfortunately it’s not just the pioneer in the Honda line that creates that rabbit hole. Honda is terrible about costing their customers thousands in machine improvements that would have cost Honda next to nothing to do from the get go. There’s just no reason for it.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly.. and unfortunately it’s not just the pioneer in the Honda line that creates that rabbit hole. Honda is terrible about costing their customers thousands in machine improvements that would have cost Honda next to nothing to do from the get go. There’s just no reason for it.
Have to admit there have been more WTF Honda? Moments with the Pioneer than I expected. Running a business model on past customer loyalty instead of passionate innovation is a slow, but sure business death. Usually caused by bean counters ruling over engineers. Locking up FOX shocks for Pioneers was telling.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would go with fox and realize you’re going to spend another $200 on them or look at Elka stage 3 or up depending on budget. The foxes offer the limited quick adjustment which isn’t a bad thing for the pioneer.

My advice is to not do what I and others have done. Don’t allow yourself to go down the rabbit hole and get 25k plus into this thing. It’s horrible in that regard. Everything is improvable on it and you’ll spend a fortune trying to get it there. You’ll be better off buying another machine than spending the money chasing something this machine isn’t.
What are the extras or do you have a link for what to upgrade on the Fox shocks?

Reactions: Lady01
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well you guys suck, went with all 4 sides in Fox. Think I’ll wait to upgrade to the better caps.

Reactions: Lady01 and Remote
J

JTW

Well you guys suck, went with all 4 sides in Fox. Think I’ll wait to upgrade to the better caps.
When you don’t feel the noticeable click between the low, med, high settings that’s when you know it’s time for gas and to replace the caps. You’ll be surprised how quickly it will happen

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are the QS3 shocks 2.0 or 2.5?

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe you should just look up the specs.. you’re good at that.
That I am, the Fox shocks for the pioneer are 2.0, thanks for the help JTW, just thought I’d reply in case someone else wonders.

No need to know what’s on the KRX, this is a Honda forum anyway.

Reactions: Lady01 and annoyed
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guessing you dumped the progressive springs? How was the ride improvement?
No idea 😂, never rode with the stock Fox springs and just changed the springs out but everyone says it is better.

thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
No idea 😂, never rode with the stock Fox springs and just changed the springs out but everyone says it is better.
How was fox w/springs vs stock?

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!