2. 1000-5
Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
M

model71

Feb 18, 2021
Thunder Bay
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm new at this, bear with me, do the fox shocks require, annual maintenance, seals gas, or is this truly just a wear and test procedure that occurrs after years of use.
Thanks for letting me know.

Reactions: Lady01
M

model71

Feb 18, 2021
Thunder Bay
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm new at this, bear with me, do the fox shocks require, annual maintenance, seals gas, or is this truly just a wear and test procedure that occurrs after years of use.
Not sure how to get this up where it can get seen.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The gas will leak out of the factory rubber fill pucks.

If you take the shock off and the spring off the shock. It should extend on its own after you have compressed it if it doesn’t there is no nitrogen left.

a shrader valve is better than the rubber puck.

M

model71

Feb 18, 2021
Thunder Bay
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The gas will leak out of the factory rubber fill pucks.

If you take the shock off and the spring off the shock. It should extend on its own after you have compressed it if it doesn’t there is no nitrogen left.

a shrader valve is better than the rubber puck.
Thanks, I understand, with regular/normal use, when might this occur, assuming I leave the shock as is, that meaning I'm not using the fill port as in changing shock pressure.
Changing has charge in shock, I just leave it alone.
Back of my mind thinks that not altering the shock charge may not have the gas leak out as quick,
What's your thoughts.
Guys around here seem to think shock maintenance is a monthly thing, seems hard to believe.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, I understand, with regular/normal use, when might this occur, assuming I leave the shock as is, that meaning I'm not using the fill port as in changing shock pressure.
Back of my mind thinks that not altering the shock charge may not have the gas leak out as quick,
What's your thoughts.
Guys around here seem to think shock maintenance is a monthly thing, seems hard to believe.
I wouldn’t mess with the nitrogen charge unless you stop feeling distinct clicks when going from soft, firm to stiff or whatever the 3 clicks are 😂. No not a monthly maintenance item, could easily be fine for a few years, just depends on your riding frequency and style but you could always get a leaky one.

M

model71

Feb 18, 2021
Thunder Bay
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn’t mess with the nitrogen charge unless you stop feeling distinct clicks when going from soft, firm to stiff or whatever the 3 clicks are 😂. No not a monthly maintenance item, could easily be fine for a few years, just depends on your riding frequency and style but you could always get a leaky one.
Thanks a lot, just the info I was looking for.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's your thoughts.
When its filled initially theres a hole put in it. It'll leak down sooner or later and it will need to be refilled. A set of shraders and a nitrogen fill kit is cheaper and easier than dealing with the pucks. Not monthly maintenance, unless you have a leaky shrader or puck. If you ride in a lot of mud or sand a set of seal savers will help, but again sooner or later a rebuild will be needed if you start to see shock oil leaking.

They are wear items sooner or later they will need to be rebuilt BUT most likely that is several thousand miles and you can do it at home on a workbench with a vise if you are methodical and with $50 in tools, I have done it. The rebuild kits are about $30-40 a corner.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought he walker evans about 3 years ago and they made a night and day difference with the way the machine handles don’t wait buy them!
The WE/Elka can be rebuilt and revalved very easily, the Fox can be as well but from experience Fox is VERY VERY VERY difficult to deal with and get parts from if you are not one of the big Fox mod shops and even then if its not a common part they will take 4-6 months to get you a part via the mod shop.

M

model71

Feb 18, 2021
Thunder Bay
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When its filled initially theres a hole put in it. It'll leak down sooner or later and it will need to be refilled. A set of shraders and a nitrogen fill kit is cheaper and easier than dealing with the pucks. Not monthly maintenance, unless you have a leaky shrader or puck. If you ride in a lot of mud or sand a set of seal savers will help, but again sooner or later a rebuild will be needed if you start to see shock oil leaking.

They are wear items sooner or later they will need to be rebuilt BUT most likely that is several thousand miles and you can do it at home on a workbench with a vise if you are methodical and with $50 101in tools, I have done it. The rebuild kits are about $30-40 a corner.
Thanks, you have given me something to think over.
Any idea on time frame that the stock shocks on the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe will hold me up?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The WE/Elka can be rebuilt and revalved very easily, the Fox can be as well but from experience Fox is VERY VERY VERY difficult to deal with and get parts from if you are not one of the big Fox mod shops and even then if its not a common part they will take 4-6 months to get you a part via the mod shop.

What about 814s? Ha

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No you will. If you bounce the stock front shocks hard enough the When you install a winchpper a-arms will bend. The shocks might not leak but you'll know you landed hard
When and if you install a winch on standard stock shocks on a P1, you have hit that wall of overloading the front shocks , add a real skid plate, just adds to the woes. You're going to spend some money to enjoy the real transmission gears. If you chose to get off the beaten path. HA!

M

Montanarob

Mar 19, 2016
Bozeman MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took such a hard slam on the stock shocks out in the desert I had to get out to make sure all of the suspension was attached still about 2 hrs later I was back at the toy hauler on the phone with walker evans they where the only aftermarket option when I purchased mine about 2k on them and no sign of rebuild needed yet and I plow with it all winter.

Reactions: TripleB and Lady01
CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All very interesting info, I just pulled the trigger on Elka Stage 4's. Also just an FYI, the gent that was with them as a sponsor on this forum, Frank David, no longer works for them. So no discount code. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the improved riding comfort I'll have on the trails. I do some "spirited" riding once in a while, so I'm sure they will help. Take care all.

tjmichael

tjmichael

Jul 29, 2016
hernando ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I pulled the trigger and ordered elka stage 5's this week. can't wait till they get here

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Ordered my Fox shocks right from honda. Prices went up, the dealership honored the old price. For the price they are the best option and loved them on my 700.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!