Shock Therapy Talon Review

79xs

Aug 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As for the KRX... loved the specs, but they won't even stock models above 64 inches at my local dealers. Also, I will put this out there, the fact that the YXZ and Talon are made in the USA is a major factor for me. Yes, the engines are still made in Japan and parts sourced from vendors could be made anywhere, but the fact is it rolled down a line in the USA. Anytime a RZR rider talks crap I look under their front fender and act like I see something is broken... then I point out the "Made In Mexico" sticker to them... it tends to quiet them down, for a few minutes at least 😆

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
As for the KRX... loved the specs, but they won't even stock models above 64 inches at my local dealers. Also, I will put this out there, the fact that the YXZ and Talon are made in the USA is a major factor for me. Yes, the engines are still made in Japan and parts sourced from vendors could be made anywhere, but the fact is it rolled down a line in the USA. Anytime a RZR rider talks crap I look under their front fender and act like I see something is broken... then I point out the "Made In Mexico" sticker to them... it tends to quiet them down, for a few minutes at least 😆
Yep, Poo Poo is very careful about letting people know they aren't made in America anymore.

Reactions: Mudwing
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yep, Poo Poo is very careful about letting people know they aren't made in America anymore.
I was working under the hood of a Live Valve the other day and was disgusted to discover that some of the LV components are made in China. :eek:

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Rambo, JTW and CID
BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got mine back earlier this week from Weller and installed them tonight. They were pretty quick considering my shocks had to be shipped both ways. Kyle is fantastic. Always answered emails and if he couldn't answer my calls, he always called right back. Won't be able to test until next weekend, I will report back. I measured the springs and their spring rates are similar to stock and ST up front (honestly don't think there is really that much wrong with the front to begin with) but the rear spring rates completely shocked (pun intended) me. I think it will be a much smoother ride because I can actually bounce the rear and that is not very easy with stock valving.

Any Test results yet Paul?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Any Test results yet Paul?
I told Kyle at Weller that I rock crawl, trail ride and dune and of course he laughed. I was well aware that there is no spring/tune combination that will do all 3 excellently so I had to settle for a little compromise.

And honestly, this is only my second SxS so I have little to compare it to. My BIL loved my R with the ST springs but he drives a little RZR 800 Trail and that thing is like riding on a rock. He has not had a chance to drive my machine with the Weller setup yet but I'm certain he will feel the improvement.

Only one 50 mile trail ride is all I have been able to get in so not enough to give a definitive answer. As far as I can tell, it seems a little better at slow (5-20 mph) and WAY better from 20+ (and that is what I asked Weller for). The rear is now planted solid over rough terrain while accelerating (not skipping around like a Pogo stick any more) and I didn't feel all beat up after the ride. There were a few spots that I thought it was a worse ride and I thought it could be a little smoother but I think it is because I had a squeak that was driving me nuts and interfered with my ability to get a good feel for the new ride.

To put into perspective, this ride was on the same trails that I did last year on my stock suspension and the ride was so bad, I ended up returning to my campsite on the paved highway rather than the trails. I refused to go back on the trails it was so bad. This time, there were only a couple spots that bothered me for a total of about 10 minute. The rest of the 6 hour outing was good to great.

So far, I am OK with the setup but I have a lot more testing to do. I want to go up a canyon near me that I am more familiar with, the roads and trails up there are brutal and it will really test the ride. And there is some rock crawling there too that I can test.

I do not know when I will have time to extensively test the rock crawling or dunes. If you are following any of my other posts, you will see my time will be limited over the next 6 months. If all goes well, I MAY make it to Moab for 5 days in October and give the tune a good testing but that is totally up in the air right now.

Remember, Weller (and most anyone) can tune to what you want. If you pinpoint the type of riding, you will end up with an excellent ride under that one condition. If you elect for a broader type of tune like I did, you will end up with an acceptable ride under many conditions.

K

kidamer

Jun 20, 2019
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
People listen to them because they do a great job actually putting info out there and explaining things in laymen terms. I spent 2 days trying to talk to bandit about spring rate and telling them what I was after and they just kept running me in circles.. “we don’t divulge our spring rates”. It was a bunch of BS. Anyway, KRX all the way ya douche suckers!
back to your cave troll

• Haha
Reactions: McCarthy and JimmyA
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey genius, you're on a Honda Talon forum. If we wanted a belt driven machine we would have bought one. People are looking for solutions for a Talon, buying a rubber band machine is not one of them, or we would have, you know, BOUGHT ONE?

J

JTW

Hey genius, you're on a Honda Talon forum. If we wanted a belt driven machine we would have bought one. People are looking for solutions for a Talon, buying a rubber band machine is not one of them, or we would have, you know, BOUGHT ONE?
Ooooh, we’ve got another 🐔🍭 that hasn’t even been here a month and running that suck over comments that are weeks old.
It’s funny how you’re admittedly looking for Talon solutions and when a solution is provided that doesn’t fit your prerogative, you get all red and juicy down there. They sell little cotton plugs for that. It’s growing ever apparent they should come standard in all Honda Talons!

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ooooh, we’ve got another 🐔🍭 that hasn’t even been here a month and running that suck over comments that are weeks old.
It’s funny how you’re admittedly looking for Talon solutions and when a solution is provided that doesn’t fit your prerogative, you get all red and juicy down there. They sell little cotton plugs for that. It’s growing ever apparent they should come standard in all Honda Talons!

I've been around long enough to see who to take advice from, and who to laugh at.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Everything constructive that was in this thread is now long gone. Unsubbing.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Things can go a little side ways here, stay and things will straighten out, you'll see.
Second dislike I've got in four years, maybe you need to rethink what I said, I didn't hammer you or anyone else? We have some very colorful members here and when you figure out who they are, you will know to dismiss they're posts as bs and move on. Happy Trails!

J

JTW

Everything constructive that was in this thread is now long gone. Unsubbing.
No.. it’s still there. You just have a shenanigans intermission. The funny thing about these threads is if they’re not commented on they get lost amongst the 10’s of 1000’s of others. Activity, good or bad, keeps them showing up. My comments from a month ago stirred someone enough to comment and now the original intent of the thread is relevant again despite the entertainment at the end.
Like it or not... once someone’s questions are answered and they have their machine built the way they want and don’t have a “need” for the forum anymore, what reason do they have to stay or return?

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
No.. it’s still there. You just have a shenanigans intermission. The funny thing about these threads is if they’re not commented on they get lost amongst the 10’s of 1000’s of others. Activity, good or bad, keeps them showing up. My comments from a month ago stirred someone enough to comment and now the original intent of the thread is relevant again despite the entertainment at the end.
Like it or not... once someone’s questions are answered and they have their machine built the way they want and don’t have a “need” for the forum anymore, what reason do they have to stay or return?

Forums are for 50% entertainment, and 50% "technical" talk,

100% KRX talk*

😙😙

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
OW Yota, words of such wisdom! HA! And from you! HA!

Reactions: JTW and TripleB
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have you spent any time in, around or even ridden with one to know what you’re talking about?

Extensively, actually yes, I watched a short video on an instagram post a few years ago.

In all seriousness a friend of mine owns a KRX and YXZ. Have ridden in both and driven both. Probably driven the Kawi for ~3 hours. KRX rides nice, but it feels like a Honda Goldwing compared to a CBR1000RR (Talon)

That and resale value in a couple years, being a kawi and all...

• Haha
Reactions: IDIOT and JTW
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
JTW is right, the KRX is a great machine if you like dildos in the ass! In all seriousness, both the Talon and KRX have their purpose. I own both an R and an X, I prefer the Talon over the KRX. But that’s my opinion. I just do t try to force it on people like the gay man does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

JTW is right, the KRX is a great machine if you like dildos in the ass! In all seriousness, both the Talon and KRX have their purpose. I own both an R and an X, I prefer the Talon over the KRX. But that’s my opinion. I just do t try to force it on people like the gay man does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not forcing s***... it just happens with the pounding.

I think I’ve heard you say on multiple occasions “a krx with the talon drivetrain would be the perfect machine”.. I don’t disagree. That’s what we all wanted Honda to provide. Give me a geared machine that’s actually built beefie and has a low that’s geared LOW!!

Reactions: GWH and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!