BOX1

Shock Therapy Talon Review

J

JTW

Extensively, actually yes, I watched a short video on an instagram post a few years ago.

In all seriousness a friend of mine owns a KRX and YXZ. Have ridden in both and driven both. Probably driven the Kawi for ~3 hours. KRX rides nice, but it feels like a Honda Goldwing compared to a CBR1000RR (Talon)

That and resale value in a couple years, being a kawi and all...

I get it.. I don’t refute that at all. It’s about where and how you ride. What I hate is this ignorance to the acknowledgment that there are machines out there that ARE better suited for many folks here coming for reviews and advice. I don’t care where or what someone is spending their money on. But we should give them honest reviews. The fanboyisim is retarded... I don’t think the krx is Gods gift to riding. But it’s hilarious to see people lose their mind at the suggestion of anything other than Honda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mudwing
J

JTW

Extensively, actually yes, I watched a short video on an instagram post a few years ago.

In all seriousness a friend of mine owns a KRX and YXZ. Have ridden in both and driven both. Probably driven the Kawi for ~3 hours. KRX rides nice, but it feels like a Honda Goldwing compared to a CBR1000RR (Talon)

That and resale value in a couple years, being a kawi and all...
As for resale... I can make money on mine the way it sits!

Reactions: Mudwing
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
No, Honda powersport stuff is always top of the pile for resale, can am is a distant second, and polaris follows can am, with kawi/suzuki/textron stuff always being the cheapest.

Reactions: Mudwing and IDIOT

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
No, Honda powersport stuff is always top of the pile for resale, can am is a distant second, and polaris follows can am, with kawi/suzuki/textron stuff always being the cheapest.

I can't speak to the Canadian market, but I spent 10 years in the industry in AZ, and, as much as I despise them, used Polaris stuff sold like hotcakes, AND for top dollar.

• Dislike
Reactions: hondarock and IDIOT
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Interesting article on UTV pricing. He dose make the point that a dealer will try to bend you over if he can get away with it (just to be clear, I'm paraphrasing).
The Popo's seam to fall off in value a little faster, especially the turbos. But only the canned hams compete in any real way in that catagory and there values are worse. And, from the wording it sounds like he is estimating the 4 year old value of the Talon.

Somthing not addressed is the value of accessories.
Note, this article is not my opinion, after all if I just spouted out unsubstantiated claims why would anyone take my word for it, its not like I'm a celebrity or wealthy sports figure.

Reactions: JTW and TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Interesting article on UTV pricing. He dose make the point that a dealer will try to bend you over if he can get away with it (just to be clear, I'm paraphrasing).
The Popo's seam to fall off in value a little faster, especially the turbos. But only the canned hams compete in any real way in that catagory and there values are worse. And, from the wording it sounds like he is estimating the 4 year old value of the Talon.

Somthing not addressed is the value of accessories.
Note, this article is not my opinion, after all if I just spouted out unsubstantiated claims why would anyone take my word for it, its not like I'm a celebrity or wealthy sports figure.
And we've all been socially engineered to understand how danged important the opinions of celebrities and sports figures are. 🤔

Reactions: lee
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I can't speak to the Canadian market, but I spent 10 years in the industry in AZ, and, as much as I despise them, used Polaris stuff sold like hotcakes, AND for top dollar.
Sounds good for the economy.....🤷‍♂️

hotrod8605

hotrod8605

Sep 26, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am not an ST fan by any means, but pointing out that the geometry of the rear suspension does not allow it to "pound the whoops" like an equally prepared Polarass or Canned Ham is not trashing it IMHO. The YXZ has a much worse issue in the rear. For some folks that is not an issue, but for me it is definitely a consideration. The car does have some shortcomings for serious desert and dunes riding, and I don't feel like I am bashing it. I hope the next generation Talon has real trailing arms, double shear mounts everywhere, and uni-balls instead of ball joints. There have been many discussions on this forum about other things, such as the air intake, etc. I want to see Honda crush Polarass, but to do it they will have to step up their game considerably, while maintaining Honda quality and reliability.

Blast away:)

I would also love to see Honda absolutely dominate the other manufacturers like they have done in motocross and super bikes in the past. But I think Honda has become too conservative in the performance aspect of things. As ST put it when Honda began the talon project back in 2013 (ish) it would have been right near the top. Now sadly it’s 10 years behind :(

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would also love to see Honda absolutely dominate the other manufacturers like they have done in motocross and super bikes in the past. But I think Honda has become too conservative in the performance aspect of things. As ST put it when Honda began the talon project back in 2013 (ish) it would have been right near the top. Now sadly it’s 10 years behind :(
Honda got bit real hard by the 3 wheeler thing and I think they are content to stay in the middle of the pack and watch other MGF's law suites????

Reactions: hotrod8605

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Here are the market share results from the Baird survey as published today. Honda gained 1% share in SxS.
Screen Shot 2020 10 07 at 12525 PM

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!