Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all,

Im finally at a point in my acreage shop (cleanup etc) that it makes sense to consider installing a compressed air network.

I having a bit of indecision on copper or that aluminum kit stuff or even poly..

the shop isn’t heated nor insulated yet. Which in my mind eliminates black iron pipe (rusting). I have concerns with poly at -15f.

I will likely spray paint with this setup, thus I’m leaning more to a metal system so I can ensure all water vapor is gone before it hits the last drip leg and filters/dryer before my spray gun.

what did you use for your shop air network and why?

Last edited:
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran 1/2 copper rated at about 300 psi if i remember right thats been 5 years ago.No problems so far you can find all the fittings turns out pretty nice i run 150 psi in my shop.

Reactions: JenElio and Coeus
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like 1/2” or 3/4”steel.It’s easy to paint. A separator and shut off right out of tank.Also make sure you have a valve at the bottom to drain tank. The steel line can run the legth of shop or even over head and from it you can attach tees for tap in lines of your choice. When I paint I attach a second separator right before hose. I also never run the main line flat. I have it at a slight incline upward from the first separator. In the summer the condensation in my shop will rain on me inside. Sometimes I get a 1/2 a quart of water a day from the separator and the valve on tank.

4291AF38 6047 4EBE A549 58D5BFC53C88

• Wow
Reactions: Coeus and JenElio
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Did 1/2 pvc throughout my shop and multiple outlets with a large 2 stage compressor. Has worked great No issues going on 12 years not to mention alot cheaper. Worked the piss out of it and i dont keep the barn heated when im not there so temps have dropped below 10 On multiple occasions.
I went the this route cuz thats what I knew from my time working at Roush, thays what we had. Are the other materials bad? Nope, just a preference and how much u want to spend. If its a commercial manufacturing facility, then theres curtain codes for what you can and cant use for pipe.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
the shop isn’t heated nor insulated yet. Which in my mind eliminates black iron pipe (rusting).
The compressed air network in my pole bar is all black pipe. It's been there for ~16 years and zero rust.

Black pipe is used outside all the time (e.g., your gas meter). A little surface rust isn't going to hurt it.

Reactions: swsebek and Coeus
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A little surface rust isn't going to hurt it.
Yes on the outside of Black pipe.
its the inside you need to worry about. The moisture from the compressed air will rust from the inside out, but will take years to show. Its the rusty moisture that will rot your tools out.
On our gas lines, there isnt enough moisture to cause problems like the moisture from a compressor. I would tell u to disconnect a few of your unions in different spots and look down the pipe with a light and tell me what you see?
u deff need a good moisture separator for that type of pipe

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
PVC will work. It’s primary issue is shrapnel when it becomes brittle and fails. That isn’t a matter of if but when. However it is so much cheaper than copper that it is the route I would go and just know I have to change all the line runs when they do eventually age enough to risk failure. If that failure or rebuild down the road is scary enough to justify the price of copper to you personally then no doubt copper will work and live for like 50+ years so long as no one comes by and steals it on you.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Working psi of sch 40 pvc. In at 1/2”. I sure hope my compressor doesn't accedently go that high! 😳 Now that would be some shrapnel!😂View attachment 318318
I believe it has to do with UV exposure degrading the PVC.
My "shop" is a tiny 2 car garage, so no plumbing for me. I have 2 50' coils of airline right next to the compressor. It is not a heavy use tool for me typically.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe it has to do with UV exposure degrading the PVC.
My "shop" is a tiny 2 car garage, so no plumbing for me. I have 2 50' coils of airline right next to the compressor. It is not a heavy use tool for me typically.
Ed Zachery!
Working psi of sch 40 pvc. In at 1/2”. I sure hope my compressor doesn't accedently go that high! 😳 Now that would be some shrapnel!😂View attachment 318318
Yeah it isn’t the rating at install that’s the issue. It’s the rating down the road. But like I said…I’d use it in my shop/garage. I just wouldn’t grind and shoot the “sparks” at it for the next five years. Or have it in the “spark” zone of a welding table. Or have a drop in the magnifying sunlight of a window. Those are really the things that’ll make for a bad day a lot sooner than you might think.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dad used pvc in his shop and it worked great. A little ugly with all the writing and purple glue though. My shop at home here is hopefully temporary so I just ran and tucked some good rubber hose around and behind everything. Super easy install and easy to change or re-route it if I want to move my wall reel etc.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wouldn't use PVC for air lines, but the trick to transition PVC to female IPS threads is, go buy some 1/2 X 6 SCH 80 PVC nipples and cut them in half and you have two MIP ada and just glue them in the fitting and screw your female fitting on. NEVER use SCH 40 male or female ada's. Learned this 40 years ago.

Last edited:
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500

I used the rapid air system in home/garage shop. When you factor in your time it was an easy choice. Easy to install and change as needed.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The compressed air network in my pole bar is all black pipe. It's been there for ~16 years and zero rust.

Black pipe is used outside all the time (e.g., your gas meter). A little surface rust isn't going to hurt it.
The issue with black pipe in a non conditioned space is rust on inside of pipe.

For NG it’s fine as you don’t have moisture buildup by the time it’s delivered to your house.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the points all!

im not afraid to use copper, other than cost.

PVC not sure it’s a good idea…I’ve been in a shop that exploded pvc, not cool. I think the residual oil in the compressed air is degrading to the system.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The issue with black pipe in a non conditioned space is rust on inside of pipe.

For NG it’s fine as you don’t have moisture buildup by the time it’s delivered to your house.
You need a moisture trap / drain at the compressor, the compressor heats the air supper hot and will condensate down the line if you don't. Done hundreds of commercial compressed air systems.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious, why not rubber hose and fittings?
I have that already. Get tired of pulling out big long hose all the time vs a few 25 footers.

my pole shop is big enough that 50’ only reaches the door if I need air out the front from where my compressor will be sitting.

I will run likely one drop near the door, and one in the middle of each bay for a total of 4 drops plus at the compressor.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!