SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Couple of fun facts about my 2021 Texplex season...

-Completed every lap of every race in 2021
-Worst overall finish was 7th (when I wrecked it)
-7 podium finishes
-10 top five finishes
-11 top ten finishes

😁

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you can get that filter setup to run properly....

I did, and it was easy to do. I used an HMF piggyback fuel tuner on top of my PwrTune ECU tune and butt dyno'd it a couple dozen times in the field at work changing settings until it felt right. Car was super fast this weekend and the pistons didn't melt so I think I did good.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did, and it was easy to do. I used an HMF piggyback fuel tuner on top of my PwrTune ECU tune and butt dyno'd it a couple dozen times in the field at work changing settings until it felt right. Car was super fast this weekend and the pistons didn't melt so I think I did good.
I have new decals for you!!!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have new decals for you!!!

Nice!

You have my email if you want shipping for those. I'm racing at a new track on the 20th and will put them on before the race.

Steering rack was flawless all weekend. Again, I can't thank you enough for getting me the parts I needed as fast as you did, I'm truly grateful!!

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Couple of fun facts about my 2021 Texplex season...

-Completed every lap of every race in 2021
-Worst overall finish was 7th (when I wrecked it)
-7 podium finishes
-10 top five finishes
-11 top ten finishes

😁
That’s really cool. And you loved every minute of it. Well done!!!

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Did you smoke the RS1 guy? After following your season I want to beat him so bad you take his soul and taste his tears.

Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thank you for posting this, I have enjoyed reading about your racing. Hope you do it again next season.

Couple questions about your shock tuner. Does Double E put a schrader valve on the reservoir instead of the ball needle? Do they change the compression to clickers from the 3 position knob? Also do they add rebound adjustment?

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Will the new popo 2 liter be allowed to race in the N/A class?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Will the new popo 2 liter be allowed to race in the N/A class?

Nope, owner of the series said if anyone wants to race one of those in 2022 it will be placed in the Outlaw classes running against turbo/supercharged unlimited cars. Honestly I don't think those would make good short course cars because of the size, and are more aimed at beating Can-Am in desert racing and at KOH in February.

On another note.... Texplex changed the engine rules for my class again for 2022. We are back to being able to run an "unlimited" engine with the only exception being 1000cc max. Looks like a big motor is in my future for next year. I'd prefer not to do that but if the series doesn't want to have real engine rules and tech inspections I may as well go extreme. 😁

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Couple questions about your shock tuner. Does Double E put a schrader valve on the reservoir instead of the ball needle? Do they change the compression to clickers from the 3 position knob? Also do they add rebound adjustment?

Yes, Double E replaces the end caps with a schrader style high volume cap. They change the 3 position knob to a dual speed compression adjuster setup and can add rebound adjusters if you want them. George told me I didn't need them for short course racing and it would just be an extra expense for no real benefit so I skipped them. He can also DLC coat the shock shafts if you want to go crazy. His personal Talon has green DLC coated shafts and it looks trick as hell!

advertisement
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you smoke the RS1 guy? After following your season I want to beat him so bad you take his soul and taste his tears.

Funny story about RS-1 guy....

On Friday night while we were hanging out around the fire RS-1 guy made a proposal. We race on Saturday, lock up our points standings for the year and have our own race on Sunday in the main. Plan was to let the field go, have the flag lady count to 20 and then throw the green for us separately so we could race each other without interference from other cars. I was 1000% for it and so was he. Saturday morning before the heat races we talked to the race director and told him our plan for Sunday and he was fine with it. We both race our heat races and win. Cool. I got a crappy start in the main and finished 3rd, RS-1 guy wins. Cool. After the race I see that I was running almost 4 seconds a lap faster than him in the main and think tomorrow is going to be fuuuuun!! 😎

Saturday night at the campfire RS-1 guy tells me his friends son is going to drive his car in the Expert class race tomorrow and that he is going to have to cancel our plans. Sounded like an excuse to get out of racing me head to head honesty.

The kid, driving the RS-1guys car in the Expert class, got the holeshot by a large margin, lead every lap and won the race by a mile. RS-1 guys car is UNREAL fast with the new motor. Kid was running 12 seconds a lap faster than we do in Vet class!!!! WTF...

After watching the race I told RS-1 guy that he isn't as good a driver as I thought if he's only slightly faster than me in that rocketship. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You still have the red bull race coming up, right?

And, you have mentioned you were coming in with a built motor next year, and now you're talking 200 hp alcohol. Do you plan to have that in the machine for the start of next season?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
You still have the red bull race coming up, right?

And, you have mentioned you were coming in with a built motor next year, and now you're talking 200 hp alcohol. Do you plan to have that in the machine for the start of next season?

Red Bull race was postponed until May of 2022 due to scheduling conflicts. I'm going to go race next weekend at Big O Speedway in Ennis, TX at their first ever Dirt Cross event. Track looks pretty cool and I'm excited to try it out. They are running a full series next year and depending on how things align this winter I may race both series next year.

As far as the motor goes.... Yes, the plan is to have it in and running for the start of next season. I'm pulling the car apart right after the race next weekend and will be bringing the motor to the engine guy shortly after. Once I get it back and have the fuel system sorted I'll be bringing it to PPEI for dyno tuning.

No more bad starts for Slowpoke with a possible 200hp on tap. 😁

H

HondaTech

Red Bull race was postponed until May of 2022 due to scheduling conflicts. I'm going to go race next weekend at Big O Speedway in Ennis, TX at their first ever Dirt Cross event. Track looks pretty cool and I'm excited to try it out. They are running a full series next year and depending on how things align this winter I may race both series next year.

As far as the motor goes.... Yes, the plan is to have it in and running for the start of next season. I'm pulling the car apart right after the race next weekend and will be bringing the motor to the engine guy shortly after. Once I get it back and have the fuel system sorted I'll be bringing it to PPEI for dyno tuning.

No more bad starts for Slowpoke with a possible 200hp on tap. 😁

We're hoping this sleeved block solves our probelms.

Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
You going to get the head port and polished and a different cam I assume also? I am real interested to see what NA power the Talon engine can make. As Kieth Black said, if your engine needs a turbo, you did not build it correctly.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
You going to get the head port and polished and a different cam I assume also? I am real interested to see what NA power the Talon engine can make. As Kieth Black said, if your engine needs a turbo, you did not build it correctly.

He's going to work his magic on the whole motor.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm just going to leave this here and I'll explain in the morning......

20211120 211636

😁

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!