P1000 smoother shifting!!!

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015
did u guys stick with the 10w-30 weight or what? Im def going with synthetic question is weight I live in maryland so I get hot summers and cold winters? any recommendations on weight of oil
Dale I asked my dealer that question today as I was in there picking up my doors and mirrors and they told me 10w -30 hp4s full synthetic is what you can run at the 300hr mark. I'm in Minnesota so the same should apply cold winters and warm summers.

Reactions: dale5740
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Dale I asked my dealer that question today as I was in there picking up my doors and mirrors and they told me 10w -30 hp4s full synthetic is what you can run at the 300hr mark. I'm in Minnesota so the same should apply cold winters and warm summers.
do u think ness to wait till 300 hrs can't I do it at 100?

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
did u guys stick with the 10w-30 weight or what? Im def going with synthetic question is weight I live in maryland so I get hot summers and cold winters? any recommendations on weight of oil
I stayed with the 10 w 30. I believe the next scheduled oil change will be at 600 miles per the maintenance minder. I went ahead and replaced the sub trans oil as well so it is all synthetic now. Sure does shift smooth, and maybe my imagination but it feels like the clutch engages a few hundred rpm lower than it did before the change?

D

Deleted member 3748

Ive noticed that my shifting is getting way smoother now for sure!!! not sure if its ecu learning or trans wearing in etc but def smoother maybe a little of both 13 hours 60 miles give or take. so getting ready to do 1st service any ideas on going full synthetic etc or what? anyone have any ideas or can tell me worked good or dint work good for them. Anything I should stay away from?
After the first oil change on my P500, it was like a different transmission. I used Honda oil and I'm glad I did so I didn't think it was a different brand of oil that made the improvement.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I believe HP4S only comes in 10w-30. You see air temps that are -30? Not wind chill, but outdoor air temps of -30? I got my 1000 at end of Oct. first oil change in Nov. Coldest morning I started the 1000 in it was 0 in the garage and -20 windchill. Started the sec I touched the key. Full synthetic helps with starting. I noticed it first hand.

I ran 0W-40 Amsoil in my 700. Reason I did'nt run that in the 1000 is because I wanted to stick with Honda oils and the 1000 has a different tranny. The 700 loved lightweight full synthetic.
First 100 miles the 1000 took too many cranks to start compared to the 700, I was not happy. Full synthetic in the 1000 and it fires right up. I ride mine to work every single day rain or shine, I make alot of mental notes on starting, shifting etc.. I'm not just pulling this conclusion out of my ass

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I believe HP4S only comes in 10w-30. You see air temps that are -30? Not wind chill, but outdoor air temps of -30? I got my 1000 at end of Oct. first oil change in Nov. Coldest morning I started the 1000 in it was 0 in the garage and -20 windchill. Started the sec I touched the key. Full synthetic helps with starting. I noticed it first hand.

I ran 0W-40 Amsoil in my 700. Reason I did'nt run that in the 1000 is because I wanted to stick with Honda oils and the 1000 has a different tranny. The 700 loved lightweight full synthetic.
First 100 miles the 1000 took too many cranks to start compared to the 700, I was not happy. Full synthetic in the 1000 and it fires right up. I ride mine to work every single day rain or shine, I make alot of mental notes on starting, shifting etc.. I'm not just pulling this conclusion out of my ass
I don't see cold like that to often low teens maybe down in the single digits but that isn't to often. summer mostly 90-102 102 on a rare occasion. So stick with 10w-30?

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md

I would pay any amount of money to be able to register this and ride it on the street in maryland we can't do that.

Reactions: franzw
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md

u ever start it up and it dies down almost like it wants to stall? did it to me 2 times now it didn't stall but did hesitate for a min, I think I read someone else say something about that but never heard anyone else say anything

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I was in the middle of winter here when I changed it and went through some below 0 days with it. In the manual it shows the same low temp range of -10 degrees for 30 or 40. I would have no problem using either weight oil if lived there unless u experience temps below -10 which you probably don't want 30 either. I typically order my own Amsoil but when I was at my dealership they had it on the shelf and they also recommend it....they didn't have a 30 weight at the dearlship and didn't check online if there was one...
they do have amsoil 10w-30 same bottle style so next oil change u going to 10w-30?

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
u ever start it up and it dies down almost like it wants to stall? did it to me 2 times now it didn't stall but did hesitate for a min, I think I read someone else say something about that but never heard anyone else say anything
Mine did that, but I could keep it running with the gas pedal. I may have possibly gotten the air filter we or a small amount of water in my tank. I'm still not sure. It was Strange it ran a long time after the puddle before doing that.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
well mine didn't hit any puddles when it did it

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
they do have amsoil 10w-30 same bottle style so next oil change u going to 10w-30?

Good chance I will go with the 10w30. My dealership only had the 10w40 on there shelf and that was they gave me to put in. I usually do more research on that stuff but was in hurry and told them I wanted to go Amsoil and that was what they handed me.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would pay any amount of money to be able to register this and ride it on the street in maryland we can't do that.

I have a short ride to work. country WI roads.

Its actually happened a few times, almost as if its running on 1 cylinder, then clears up and is fine. Almost like I didnt let it cycle when I turned the key, I stopped short and it didnt start then went back to start it and it cranked a few times then started.

I get greedy and give the key a quick once over, 95% of the time it fires right up. Its the times that it doesnt is when I noticed the lugging.

If the 1000 takes a few cranks (1.5-2.5) to start i'm fine with that I got spoiled with the 700 cuz it was instant. twin vs single! I couldnt believe how long it would take my buddies Ranger 900 to start compared to my 700 at the time. crank crank crank.....finally it'd fire-up. The few times it happened did'nt concern me, the more comfortable you are with your machine the better you'll understand it.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I have a short ride to work. country WI roads.

Its actually happened a few times, almost as if its running on 1 cylinder, then clears up and is fine. Almost like I didnt let it cycle when I turned the key, I stopped short and it didnt start then went back to start it and it cranked a few times then started.

I get greedy and give the key a quick once over, 95% of the time it fires right up. Its the times that it doesnt is when I noticed the lugging.

If the 1000 takes a few cranks (1.5-2.5) to start i'm fine with that I got spoiled with the 700 cuz it was instant. twin vs single! I couldnt believe how long it would take my buddies Ranger 900 to start compared to my 700 at the time. crank crank crank.....finally it'd fire-up. The few times it happened did'nt concern me, the more comfortable you are with your machine the better you'll understand it.
I think it is fly by wire u notice when u turn it off it has a quick delay.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea that would be great. Mine is totally street legal, still have to drag it out of town to enjoy it. Sucks, live in north of Seattle area, totally PC liberal a-- wipes. Obama country. Hope Trump is for real and can make our country great again like Reagan.???

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
In certain counties in MI (mine included) we can ride them on all streets.
@PistonHonda , Are you talking about street legal, or being able to ride the shoulders with the ORV and trail stickers? I would love to have mine street legal.

D

Deleted member 3748

@PistonHonda , Are you talking about street legal, or being able to ride the shoulders with the ORV and trail stickers? I would love to have mine street legal.

Not street legal, but we can ride them on the road. In fact, the law says not the shoulder.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Living in a small rural county in TN has its advantages. In Franklin county (where I live), you can register a toaster if it had a motor and at least one wheel lmao. I'll be registering mine as soon as I find a set of road tires/spare rims. Not gonna wear down my Bighorns lol

Reactions: sharp and Kingmudd
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!