Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well sh**! Broke one last year so ordered a bunch of new ones from the Honda dealer and replaced them. Just dropped the skid plates today and snapped 3 of them. Did a little research on here and it sounds like the way to go is with nutserts. I'm going back out now to try to extract them but have never had real good luck with the easy out method. Any insight would be appreciated...nutserts type, tool brand...this blows!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well sh**! Broke one last year so ordered a bunch of new ones from the Honda dealer and replaced them. Just dropped the skid plates today and snapped 3 of them. Did a little research on here and it sounds like the way to go is with nutserts. I'm going back out now to try to extract them but have never had real good luck with the easy out method. Any insight would be appreciated...nutserts type, tool brand...this blows!
Honda just uses s***ty fasteners. Broke 3-4 skid bolts on my 700 without even trying. Good news is that the broke half came out pretty easy.
The factory nutsert is pretty thin, so it's hard to drill and tap oversized. I managed to do one, but ended up going the bare minimum oversize, which happened to be SAE standard size. Your plan of quality replacement seems like a good ideal. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the brand as I have little experience with them.

I haven't even touched the 500 for just this reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon x4
I cant find it now, but I seen to recall @JTW or @Neohio recommending some nutserts and tools.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The threded holes for the skids are flow drilled, insted of the long winded explination see link:
(Warning, bad language and this guy is funny as s***/smart as a whip)

So the material that is threded is thin.
I pulled all the bolts and anti-seized them when new.
Not sure if this will work long term but it's what I am trying first.
If or when that fails I will probably go to weld in inserts and be done.

Note, normally honda uses weld nuts on the back side.
A square nut is projection welded (it's a resistance weld like a spot weld) on the back.
But the frame is a closed rectangular tube so there is no access to the back side to weld the nut on.
Weld in inserts are welded on the face, they add a little thickness but no one is going to see it underneath.

Other, I broke out the welder last week after probably a year or more of not needing it.
My grinding skills are good as ever (and well practiced).

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Why are you removing your skid plate ?

D

Duckhunt

I use anti seize on mine every time I remove and install. Pain in the butthole but haven’t snapped any yet. However I have had some come out hard then I run I tap through the hole and replace the bolt if it’s rusty.

Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
First time I ever rode mine didn’t have a mile on it went through the creek crossing and snapped the bolts off the one on the rear diff flat pissed me off so I got them out and put new ones in also drilled a few extra holes and added some pop rivets no issues since.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Why are you removing your skid plate ?

I do it at the end of every year and sometimes after a really muddy ride. You wouldn't believe how much sh** was riding on that skid! Probably 30 lbs lighter now, leaves, sand, mud, pine needles, packed in there too and that's from one season of riding. It's a wonder it didn't catch on fire and I'd highly recommend everyone taking a look at theirs once in a while.
I'll be dealing with the ones I snapped, extract if I can and anti seizing all of them this time around.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Use a standard drill for a pilot hole then a reverse threaded drill bit the rest of the way. That works nicely if the easy out doesn’t. Also after drilling your hole and using an easy out, put some heat on the bolt your extracting before you put your easy out in. A little heat works wonders.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Use a standard drill for a pilot hole then a reverse threaded drill bit the rest of the way. That works nicely if the easy out doesn’t. Also after drilling your hole and using an easy out, put some heat on the bolt your extracting before you put your easy out in. A little heat works wonders.

Good sh**, thanks Remmy!

Reactions: Remington
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@trigger
This will be your bestestestestestest friend removing bolts.
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01925A-Extractor-Extractors-Cobalt/dp/B000F9ANQW/?tag=sxsweb24-20
The left hand drills bits have a tendency to catch on the bolt and just un-thread from the frame skipping the whole extractor part of it.

I've been using JIS flanged head bolts from McMaster as replacements in mine.
If I ever get this lil construction project at home done, next is to use m6 weld nuts on my frame and get rid of nutserts or self tappers.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger
This will be your bestestestestestest friend removing bolts.
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01925A-Extractor-Extractors-Cobalt/dp/B000F9ANQW/ref=sr_1_7?crid=13LOVSKM9PEK3&keywords=left+hand+drill+bit+set+extractor&qid=1577996342&sprefix=left+hand+drill+bit+,aps,262&sr=8-7
The left hand drills bits have a tendency to catch on the bolt and just un-thread from the frame skipping the whole extractor part of it.

I've been using JIS flanged head bolts from McMaster as replacements in mine.
If I ever get this lil construction project at home done, next is to use m6 weld nuts on my frame and get rid of nutserts or self tappers.

Ordered, thanks Neo!

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve broken 1 or 2 tightening with 3/8” Milwaukee impact, much more careful now and always use anti-seize paste. Always thought the frame was just drilled and taped. Kinda felt I’d do steel nutcerts when the stockers screwed up. I’ve used nutcerts (Pressure fit rivet type) with great success albeit steel ones, the aluminum not so much. On my UHMW skid I used the stock washers and stock bolts and counter sunk, so they are just below skid surface so they don’t hang up on stuff. Was concerned with using high grade bolts as figured they’d tear the frame material compared to stock and just break off as they are soft bolts.
j

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
For removal of the broken bolts try a left handed drill bit to drill out before you use your easy out.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!