Snorkel and skid plate

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Lol 2 very random questions ... has anyone tried a homemade snorkel yet ... and if so ... did you notice any power difference? Next question ... been reading a subject about mud interfering with 4wd ... to the ones that have skid plates ... would this keep it from happening or has it not happened because you have them?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I've put sort of a snorkel on mine and there was no loss of power. Mine is made so that it draws air from under the hood right near the top of the Rad.I also have a filter just like the Polaris machines have under there hood.I've got 600 miles on and it runs like its supposed to. I used 2" pvc pipe and didn't make any sharp bends except for one.The one bend is a 90 all others are 22.5 so there's really minimal very restriction.I ran mine on the driver's side and along the outer frame [seeing that there wasn't room to go under the floor] .Mine is protected most of the way except right near the front were it goes up towards the Rad. I have a homemade skid plate under my floor that bolts onto the homemade nerf bars. I left room under the floor plus right along the frame to beable to wash mud out.We still have lots of snow yet so can't tell you what its going to be like if any mud gets into that area.{I don't ride mud unless its unavoidable}

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
HondaTim, did you just run one 2" pipe? I was thinking of running two 1 1/2" pipes which would give an area of 3.53 sq/in verse yours which would be 3.14 sq/in. If your just running one I should be fine! I am having a hard time trying to decide where to route it though, was hoping to see more of what others were doing but not many doing it yet.

Slowdryrider, I have been in a lot of mud and have not noticed any amount of buildup around the shifters to speak of with stock plates. I do wash it after every time out which might be preventing buildup. It takes me close to an hour to wash sometimes.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Haven't ran one ... I was getting ideas?

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
slowdryrider where are the pics. you know you need to share these thinks. lol

T

Tackle83

Feb 13, 2014
I ride thru a lot of mud and have not noticed any issues. I would like to make a snorkel but would like to see some pics of what people have done.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!