P500 Snow plows again

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Please pardon me, I double posted a bunch of photos and the last one blurred. You know I previously posted that I was short on room, here is a photo of why. But
you only live once.

S

Sr56

May 6, 2019
Murfreesboro
Wow! I have garage envy! Love that 57 Chevy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
Looks great!
If I were to buy another plow the Warn is the one I’d buy

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
Is that an old Schwinn hanging up there just kidding, nice collection of cars

Reactions: Eltobgi
harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Looks great!
If I were to buy another plow the Warn is the one I’d buy

I liked the way the Warn plow connected, I'm not saying it's the best. It sure looks strong, and I had to modify a couple of places to fit the winch so it wasn't stressed. The metal they use is extra strong, hard to grind and drill.

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Is that an old Schwinn hanging up there just kidding, nice collection of cars

That bicycle was a birthday present for my wife when she was 5 years old, It was purchased from Western Auto in May of 1945, we don't know who actually made it.
Thank you for the car compliment, I think they are pretty, but not show quality. I drive those cars every week, spring, summer and fall. When it snows and is really cold, the are on battery tenders.

Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
That bicycle was a birthday present for my wife when she was 5 years old, It was purchased from Western Auto in May of 1945, we don't know who actually made it.
Thank you for the car compliment, I think they are pretty, but not show quality. I drive those cars every week, spring, summer and fall. When it snows and is really cold, the are on battery tenders.

Cool she still has her bike, the Chevy is iconic, I’d love to have one, remember helping push start a neighborhood kids 57 just to get a ride in it.. other two are fords? 55 and 34?
I store a few myself, none as old as yours, but my old Bug is a blast, 1915 duel carbs 4 speed, with the bigger engine it’s still slow as I drive down the road I see people slug each other as I drive by lol

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Cool she still has her bike, the Chevy is iconic, I’d love to have one, remember helping push start a neighborhood kids 57 just to get a ride in it.. other two are fords? 55 and 34?
I store a few myself, none as old as yours, but my old Bug is a blast, 1915 duel carbs 4 speed, with the bigger engine it’s still slow as I drive down the road I see people slug each other as I drive by lol

So you have a bad blue bug, with the larger engine it should cruise a 70+ mph all day. I had a 65 40 hp bug in 65 and we cruised it a 65 and 70 and got 30 mpg. Very reliable, but had to get the valves and brakes adjusted and oil change every 3k miles. It was trouble free.
My mother-in-law never threw anything away, however the bike is a bear to ride. It's too heavy. The green and white ford is a 56 club sedan. Pretty much stock, but needs a little TLC which starts next Saturday. The Roadster is a 30 Ford frame, with a glass body. I built the car in 2013. 8BA engine and floor shift out of a 53 Ford F1. I have a 5 speed out of an 88 S-10, and may do that this winter. It has 1930 ford title.
I was 20 years old when the 57 Chevy came out, the cost under 2500.00, may have a million with my finances in 1957.

Reactions: Mudwing
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
So you have a bad blue bug, with the larger engine it should cruise a 70+ mph all day. I had a 65 40 hp bug in 65 and we cruised it a 65 and 70 and got 30 mpg. Very reliable, but had to get the valves and brakes adjusted and oil change every 3k miles. It was trouble free.
My mother-in-law never threw anything away, however the bike is a bear to ride. It's too heavy. The green and white ford is a 56 club sedan. Pretty much stock, but needs a little TLC which starts next Saturday. The Roadster is a 30 Ford frame, with a glass body. I built the car in 2013. 8BA engine and floor shift out of a 53 Ford F1. I have a 5 speed out of an 88 S-10, and may do that this winter. It has 1930 ford title.
I was 20 years old when the 57 Chevy came out, the cost under 2500.00, may have a million with my finances in 1957.

I’d like to add a 67 or earlier prefer a 12 volt electrical though and they didn’t get that till 67, mine being a ‘72 is a standard not a super and before the huge ugly taillights, although to the VW enthusiast it’s still a “fat chick”

Yes the bug can cruise 70 easily but sure would benefit from a freeway flier Trans to get the rpm’s down a bit, I’ve changed it to front disc so I only have to adjust the rear drums, jack it up, spin the wheel by hand and use the adjusting cam till it slightly grabs and back it off a bit, and adjust the valves, have a flamethrower so no points to adjust anymore, let’s not forget about adjusting the clutch cable, simple to work on and reliable and fun to drive

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
I’d like to add a 67 or earlier prefer a 12 volt electrical though and they didn’t get that till 67, mine being a ‘72 is a standard not a super and before the huge ugly taillights, although to the VW enthusiast it’s still a “fat chick”

Yes the bug can cruise 70 easily but sure would benefit from a freeway flier Trans to get the rpm’s down a bit, I’ve changed it to front disc so I only have to adjust the rear drums, jack it up, spin the wheel by hand and use the adjusting cam till it slightly grabs and back it off a bit, and adjust the valves, have a flamethrower so no points to adjust anymore, let’s not forget about adjusting the clutch cable, simple to work on and reliable and fun to drive

VW bugs are reliable cars. You don't see them on the road anymore. I guess everyone wants to go 90 MPH.

Reactions: Badblubug
T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Short on room!

I’ve got 3 motorcycles, an Eiger, and a P5 living in a 16X20 shed. Plus tools, shelving, and the rest of the crap.

Beautiful setup, I’m jealous!

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Short on room!

I’ve got 3 motorcycles, an Eiger, and a P5 living in a 16X20 shed. Plus tools, shelving, and the rest of the crap.

Beautiful setup, I’m jealous!

Stover, You have me on a Eiger. You can never get enough storage. Motorcycles can fit in tight spaces. I have a couple of negatives on my plow arrangement. The winch is too fast, very little control. I wish it had a slow speed. I tried pushing dirt and gravel, when you put too much pressure on the blade it trips to prevent damage. I have the springs set to the strongest tension and they still trip easily. I have found, if you are pushing something hard to move, I just go slow and watch the blade, when it starts to give, I raise the blade slightly and it works fine.
I did remove a lot of sand that had accumulated on my driveway. The Honda has plenty of power.

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Stover, You have me on a Eiger. You can never get enough storage. Motorcycles can fit in tight spaces. I have a couple of negatives on my plow arrangement. The winch is too fast, very little control. I wish it had a slow speed. I tried pushing dirt and gravel, when you put too much pressure on the blade it trips to prevent damage. I have the springs set to the strongest tension and they still trip easily. I have found, if you are pushing something hard to move, I just go slow and watch the blade, when it starts to give, I raise the blade slightly and it works fine.
I did remove a lot of sand that had accumulated on my driveway. The Honda has plenty of power.

My shop is 34 X 70 and I'm still short on room.

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500

When I’ve had to push stone or dirt I put straps on the plow to keep it from tripping. Getting ready to do that again with some 2B that needs pushed around.

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
When I’ve had to push stone or dirt I put straps on the plow to keep it from tripping. Getting ready to do that again with some 2B that needs pushed around.

I was doing more today, a clump of grass will trip the blade. I'll try your idea, maybe a couple of good tie downs. I'm being careful, it is light duty.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I decided to ‘Go Warn’ for the VRX35 winch, mount, plow, mount and tubes.

Did I read the plow mount has to go on before the winch/mount?

If yes, can I still use the P5 offroad with the plow mount installed?

Seems like extra work to have to remove the winch and mount to put on or take off the plow mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Bill, I had to unbolt the winch. There are two ubolts that hold the mount to the down tubes. I posted photos, but can't see the ubolts. It was a bear getting everything lined up. There are two bolts that hold the bottom of the winch. They have 2 nuts on each bolt. I didn't know that and couldn't see them, so I managed to twist one off. These bolts are very difficult to reach to start the nuts on. I spent at least 4 hours getting the mount on and reinstalling the winch. Once the mount is installed it never has to come off again, it will not interfere with clearance. Everything else was simple. Instructions are poor, but you can call Warn and they will help you.
Good Luck
John L.

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
Bill, I had to unbolt the winch. There are two ubolts that hold the mount to the down tubes. I posted photos, but can't see the ubolts. It was a bear getting everything lined up. There are two bolts that hold the bottom of the winch. They have 2 nuts on each bolt. I didn't know that and couldn't see them, so I managed to twist one off. These bolts are very difficult to reach to start the nuts on. I spent at least 4 hours getting the mount on and reinstalling the winch. Once the mount is installed it never has to come off again, it will not interfere with clearance. Everything else was simple. Instructions are poor, but you can call Warn and they will help you.
Good Luck
John L.

Bill: Shop around, I got the plow, push tubes and mount from Amazon, no shipping charges. I paid 513.00, but took the 5' blade. I think most buy wider blades.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks guys. I’m reading all the installation documents tonight and plan to start tomorrow. Should be fun. I’ll do the plow mount first, then winch mount/ winch.

Did you have to remove the belly pan to run the wires from the battery forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!