Soon to be a Honda Pioneer owner

stnbenn2001

stnbenn2001

Jul 23, 2020
Lake Placid Fl.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi all, just joined to read and search for info on the Honda Pioneer 500. I live in south central Florida and though in a subdivision community, very near near the boonies which is mostly sugar sand, scrub brush and trees, and no hills at all. Presently use a gas EzGo golf cart with rear flip seat. Mosly run on paved and gravel roads as the golf cart won't travel the sand very well, but lots of trails.

I'm presently in Mi. but will be full time in Florida in about a month. I like the Pioneer 500 for the price and Honda reliability and will be buying one as soon as we return to Fl. I am still not sure that I understand if the claim of 2wd/4wd is legit if there are aftermarket dif. lockers available for these. My question is, is this a three wheel drive with the front differential simply a limited slip meaning if one wheel in front slips or spins, then the engagement switches to the other wheel or locks up both front wheels? Dealer is not much help with tech advice, and manufacturer does not really elaborate. It doesnt really matter that much as I will be running on sand and no real getting stuck problem, but still would like to know how the drive system works. Its my understanding that both differentials are powered through driveshafts. Thanks for any feedback. Stan

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all, just joined to read and search for info on the Honda Pioneer 500. I live in south central Florida and though in a subdivision community, very near near the boonies which is mostly sugar sand, scrub brush and trees, and no hills at all. Presently use a gas EzGo golf cart with rear flip seat. Mosly run on paved and gravel roads as the golf cart won't travel the sand very well, but lots of trails.

I'm presently in Mi. but will be full time in Florida in about a month. I like the Pioneer 500 for the price and Honda reliability and will be buying one as soon as we return to Fl. I am still not sure that I understand if the claim of 2wd/4wd is legit if there are aftermarket dif. lockers available for these. My question is, is this a three wheel drive with the front differential simply a limited slip meaning if one wheel in front slips or spins, then the engagement switches to the other wheel or locks up both front wheels? Dealer is not much help with tech advice, and manufacturer does not really elaborate. It doesnt really matter that much as I will be running on sand and no real getting stuck problem, but still would like to know how the drive system works. Its my understanding that both differentials are powered through driveshafts. Thanks for any feedback. Stan
The rear diff is locked all of the time, no selection for that. Your 4wd is one wheel up front, you can cure this by installing a locker that is currently on the market.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The rear diff is locked all of the time, no selection for that. Your 4wd is one wheel up front, you can cure this by installing a locker that is currently on the market.
To elaborate... in 4wd both front wheels will pull if both have traction. There is no traction control, if one front wheel slips it gets "all" the power. The after market locker solves that if it becomes an issue for you.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY. The fellas here will answer any questions you have. A lot of knowledge here. 😉😎
When you purchase post a pic here. We love pics. 😉😎🤣
#ntc🤘🏾

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
STAN THE MAN....bet you hadn't heard that before....I once knew a Stan from Tampa. we called him Stan the man, go figure.....back then we didn't have alll the other weird pronouns and identities. otherwise , he could have been called Stan the Germinated Peanut Butter Mandriller of Man/Girls and all he she and its. kinda like that Polaris owner paddle ball playing Jenner gender bender Manthing....oh, and welcome....

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

WELCOME! From NW Arkansas.

stnbenn2001

stnbenn2001

Jul 23, 2020
Lake Placid Fl.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks all for the welcome. I'm old but I still like to tear around a little. The 500 should be just what I need and with no hills or mud in Fl. where we live, it should work fine. I have some hunting property close by and seem to always be building something that requires a utility vehicle. Looked at some of the Chineese stuff but after reading reviews and hearing that the one major supplier in Tx. was nearing bankruptsy, I decided cheap ain't the way to go.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!