P500 Steep downhill noise

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
When coming down a steep downhill in 2nd gear, and applying brakes, I get some concerning noise out of the rear drive. It does it in 2 or 4 wheel drive. It has done it since new and now has over 1000 miles. Anyone else have this? It hasn't gotten any worse, but the noise "sounds" bad. How is that for a description! :)

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Tranny......brake?

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
This is my 1st Honda
they have weird sounds
...if it's been Makin that
sound for 1000 miles
Ride on...Bro

Reactions: trigger
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When coming down a steep downhill in 2nd gear, and applying brakes, I get some concerning noise out of the rear drive. It does it in 2 or 4 wheel drive. It has done it since new and now has over 1000 miles. Anyone else have this? It hasn't gotten any worse, but the noise "sounds" bad. How is that for a description! :)

Is it a CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK type of noise that sounds like someone hitting a piece of wood on something?

The P500 has a single rear disc brake just like my Rincon and my Rincon clunks like that going downhill because of "brake chatter". It I thought something was broke the first time it did it.

One of the things that I don't like about my Rincon and one of the reasons I have crossed the P700 off my list. (Poor engine braking requiring me to clunk the brakes like my Rincon)

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Is it a CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK type of noise that sounds like someone hitting a piece of wood on something?

The P500 has a single rear disc brake just like my Rincon and my Rincon clunks like that going downhill because of "brake chatter". It I thought something was broke the first time it did it.

One of the things that I don't like about my Rincon and one of the reasons I have crossed the P700 off my list. (Poor engine braking requiring me to clunk the brakes like my Rincon)
That is the only thing I didn't like about my Rincon on hills, can't gear them low enough and always riding the brake. Now the P5 is a different story, never have to tap the brake.

Alan

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
That is the only thing I didn't like about my Rincon on hills, can't gear them low enough and always riding the brake. Now the P5 is a different story, never have to tap the brake.

Alan
I feel the tranny
braking on my
p500...is one of the
best...I've ever had
.....love it

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

There's a tread about P500 steep
hill climb...& decent..watch it...
see if sounds are familiar. ....
with you saying ...it's always had
that noise for 1000 miles now
....I'd say....it's normal

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
The engine braking works fine. The noise only occurs when I apply the brake on steep down hills, to reduce the speed some more. Braking on lesser inclines and flats no issue. I haven't down shifted into 1st though, which is crawler speed. The next time I do it, will try to describe it better. :)

C

Chooglin

@FuzzyGrub is it more like a howling noise ? Mine does this on occasion , just as you described!

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
@FuzzyGrub is it more like a howling noise ? Mine does this on occasion , just as you described!

I guess it could be described as a severe howling. When it starts to happen, I let off on the brake. On our "normal" trail loop there is only a couple of steep hills that this happens on, and isolated to particular spots. If it wasn't for being the best view of the "loop" I'd try to find a way to avoid those spots. When the fields are growing, like now, I have to stay to the "wind" rows to keep in good standing and continuation of my current "permissions".

I tried searching for the video referenced above, but couldn't find it. I found some similar discussion but it was P700s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chooglin
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Alan
I here ya

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I guess it could be described as a severe howling. When it starts to happen, I let off on the brake. On our "normal" trail loop there is only a couple of steep hills that this happens on, and isolated to particular spots. If it wasn't for being the best view of the "loop" I'd try to find a way to avoid those spots. When the fields are growing, like now, I have to stay to the "wind" rows to keep in good standing and continuation of my current "permissions".

I tried searching for the video referenced above, but couldn't find it. I found some similar discussion but it was P700s.
Dude its at the bottom of this page...in similar threads

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Dude its at the bottom of this page...in similar threads

OK thx. No, that is not the noise, but it appears he is only using engine braking. There was a noise just before he got to the bottom, but even with replay couldn't confirm that was it.

PS: I do agree with his summery, this machine can climb for such a small motor. :)

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
OK thx. No, that is not the noise, but it appears he is only using engine braking. There was a noise just before he got to the bottom, but even with replay couldn't confirm that was it.

PS: I do agree with his summery, this machine can climb for such a small motor. :)

If you've rode it 1000
miles...keep riding
it's a Goat....Bro

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I too have 1,000 miles on mine and also have a disconcerting noise only when breaking on a very steep down hill decent, not when engine breaking. It's a deep sound that I can't really discribe. But I can't figure out what it is, it's not often that I have to use the break going down hill so I just don't worry about it much.

S

Sledge

I too have 1,000 miles on mine and also have a disconcerting noise only when breaking on a very steep down hill decent, not when engine breaking. It's a deep sound that I can't really discribe. But I can't figure out what it is, it's not often that I have to use the break going down hill so I just don't worry about it much.

Seems clear that the rear brake is causing the noise.

Maybe something in the intermittent, pulsing nature of heavy-load engine braking causes some adverse response in the disc brake. How many machines have as effective engine-braking?

The disc is not on the wheels, but on the driveshaft, after all, and thereby more sensitive to the engine braking. I suspect it is related to that.

And harmless.

Jus' guessin'

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Seems clear that the rear brake is causing the noise.

Maybe something in the intermittent, pulsing nature of heavy-load engine braking causes some adverse response in the disc brake. How many machines have as effective engine-braking?

The disc is not on the wheels, but on the driveshaft, after all, and thereby more sensitive to the engine braking. I suspect it is related to that.

And harmless.

Jus' guessin'

Joe
I don't know Joe, it's a mystery to me. To my jacked up ear, the noise comes from the front right. May not even be the same issue that @FuzzyGrub is experiencing.

S

Sledge

I don't know Joe, it's a mystery to me. To my jacked up ear, the noise comes from the front right. May not even be the same issue that @FuzzyGrub is experiencing.

Well that changes everything. I thought you were agreeing with OP on the source of the sound.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well that changes everything. I thought you were agreeing with OP on the source of the sound.

Joe
I agree with him on the sound, and that it occurs upon breaking when descending a very steep hill. ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!