P1000m5 Steering box squeaking horribly

R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went riding this weekend and developed a terrible squeak coming from the steering box. I thought it was coming from the steering knuckle? but I tightened, loosened, adjusted it and the noise was still present. I isolated it to the steering box. The only thing I have done to it was add 28” tires and adjust the toe in so the front tires are in alignment. Sound like a trip to the dealer to y’all? I have 400 miles on it and it is still under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Went riding this weekend and developed a terrible squeak coming from the steering box. I thought it was coming from the steering knuckle? but I tightened, loosened, adjusted it and the noise was still present. I isolated it to the steering box. The only thing I have done to it was add 28” tires and adjust the toe in so the front tires are in alignment. Sound like a trip to the dealer to y’all? I have 400 miles on it and it is still under warranty.

Are you sure its coming from the rack itself? How close does the steering shaft pass to the fire wall (after going through it, obviously)?

Here's the reason i ask: On the 700 there is a little recessed area where the shaft is near the firewall, and it was prone to getting small rocks trapped in that area. Once it did, it would emit a high pitched-ish squeal that was pretty annoying. Can't find a good pic of the 1K in this area to see if its even possible, but i thought it was worth a shot...

Reactions: 0860silverado
R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure its coming from the rack itself? How close does the steering shaft pass to the fire wall (after going through it, obviously)?

Here's the reason i ask: On the 700 there is a little recessed area where the shaft is near the firewall, and it was prone to getting small rocks trapped in that area. Once it did, it would emit a high pitched-ish squeal that was pretty annoying. Can't find a good pic of the 1K in this area to see if its even possible, but i thought it was worth a shot...

I looked, it’s sealed, there’s no place for debris to get. When I touch the steering linkage and have someone else turn the wheel, the squeak transfers through the linkage.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Part #3 ( where it goes from the passenger dept down to the rack ) is what is was referring to. It probably runs really close to the plastic for a bit. Like i said, it was just a shot in the dark...

Steering shaft

R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Part #3 ( where it goes from the passenger dept down to the rack ) is what is was referring to. It probably runs really close to the plastic for a bit. Like i said, it was just a shot in the dark...

View attachment 70077

I pressure wash it after every ride, think I could have somehow washed out any lubricant that may be in the linkages?

Reactions: DG Rider
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If I remember right there is a plastic bushing in the adjustable part of the column.
Maybe parts #4 &#5 in the image above.
If they lack grease they could squeal.
Just a shot in the dark.

Reactions: JTW and RickMaynard
Katoum

Katoum

Jun 27, 2016
Kelowna, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doubtful.
Sent from my SM-G950U using l

So did you ever find the cause, my 2018 1000 5P LE just developed a squeak when you move the steering wheel back and forth, and it really sounds like a plastic bushing that is dry. i hope to take a look for cause tomorrow

R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So did you ever find the cause, my 2018 1000 5P LE just developed a squeak when you move the steering wheel back and forth, and it really sounds like a plastic bushing that is dry. i hope to take a look for cause tomorrow

Yes, took it to my dealer and he lubricated the heck out of the steering linkages. Hasn’t squeaked since.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

The most common squeak I hear is directly under the steering wheel.

If you remove the center nut, there is a cap (#16) over a seal that is almost always dry, lube with grease and it usually goes away.

I've had 1 also squeak where the cap sits over the input shaft seal into the steering box.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
My rack was squeaking pretty bad and the bushing was wore so I replaced the bushing and greased both sides and no more noise. All of my noise was coming from the driver, non-bushing side.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!