P500 Steering or shocks

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
So I am looking to spend about 5 to 600 on a new mod. I was thinking power steering but should I consider front walker evans shocks instead?

What would you buy if you could only Choose one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Shocks, you can do p/s later they steer pretty easy anyway.

Reactions: Chooglin
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Save your money . They steer easy and after you get a few thousand miles on it the ride is very good .
OK , If your pounding it and bottoming out your shocks then do the shocks but if your shocking for a smoother ride . Save your money .

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Save your money . They steer easy and after you get a few thousand miles on it the ride is very good .
OK , If your pounding it and bottoming out your shocks then do the shocks but if your shocking for a smoother ride . Save your money .

Well I got about 1500 miles on it and the ride still sucks. I get bounced all over the WV trails here.

Reactions: 500oneer
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
From friends who have W E shocks (once they tell the truth because they spent so much on them) the ones who got them for a smoother ride were disappointed and the ones who were hammering their rides (RZR guys mostly) say they are much better .
When I got just over 2k on my pioneer and got my air pressure down to 7lbs mine seems to ride really nice .
My RZR has power steering and it is nice but I can't convince myself it's worthwhile on the Pioneer .
Maybe if you have a plow I would think it would be a necessity . Ok , that's my 25 cents worth . lol

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well I got about 1500 miles on it and the ride still sucks. I get bounced all over the WV trails here.

And it will continue to suck I used to have a 500. 5.9 inches of travel ain't much to work with. But they are amazing machines and will do whatever you ask of it.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need the shocks for sure, the 500’s steer pretty good.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I ask this friendly, what are you really wanting to do? That is, do you just want to spend 5-600 on the P500 for an upgrade/accessory or are you trying to solve a specific issue with the machine?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Fast and bumpy, maybe shocks. Slow and tight trails, maybe power steering. But a good third choice if you don’t have it is the front locker through the rough stuff. Like a lot of us here, its just what order you decide to add over time. LOL. Good luck. EZ Power Steering and Locker installed.

Last edited:
S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
For what it is worth I have had power steering since day one and would not change my selection, plan on doing the locker for my next purchase, and shocks will be my third selection.

Reactions: Mudder
B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the input so far. I think I am trying to solve multiple problems actually. I typically ride pretty quick. I ride with a big group of rzrs on WV trails. I don’t have much problem keeping up, but definitely hit some whoops from time to time that bottom out the suspension for sure. Some of them teeth jarring.

I have also come across some high speed rocks I have hit that nearly ripped the steering wheel out of my hands and I assume the power steering will help with that.

As for the locker? It is farther down on my list. I rarely really even need 4 wheel drive and I have never been stuck in the P5.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have also come across some high speed rocks I have hit that nearly ripped the steering wheel out of my hands and I assume the power steering will help with that.
It will definitely help with that problem.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine was ok riding it wasent designed for high-speed performance . Taller tires with more sidewall cushion helped also. Not getting in a big hurry did wonders for it's ride, but it was still brutal at times but knowing it has small travel numbers and riding according plus I had a 17 with " better shocks" may have contributed also.

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Mine was ok riding it wasent designed for high-speed performance . Taller tires with more sidewall cushion helped also. Not getting in a big hurry did wonders for it's ride, but it was still brutal at times but knowing it has small travel numbers and riding according plus I had a 17 with " better shocks" may have contributed also.

Is the 17 shocks really better? If so maybe that could be a lower cost answer. I am afraid I will get the walkers and not think it is that much better.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Is the 17 shocks really better? If so maybe that could be a lower cost answer. I am afraid I will get the walkers and not think it is that much better.

I thought they recalled the 15 and 16's for a shock change.You can't get the part #'s for those years but you can get the 17 and 18 shocks.

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I thought they recalled the 15 and 16's for a shock change.You can't get the part #'s for those years but you can get the 17 and 18 shocks.

It was my understanding that the Canadian folks got a shock change and U.S.A. folks got a sticker. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!