100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ericsson’s (?) on spelling...one on each tire with wheel Chocks and one big ratchet strap behind. Plus I run a locking cable through the trailer rails, ramps and behind the front bumper of the P5. I’m not taking any chances with no rear gate.
11B4B1CC BBFB 4702 8312 07FDA8C4F06F

J

JTW

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 89659 Been using the Erickson wheel chock setup for over a year now. Best method I've ever used. Just got back from a 3600 mile trip and never had any issues with straps loosening.
I use the same thing. Other then I only have them on the front. I've use them for over a year now with no issues. I used metal angle under the deck that spanned over two boards. would need to break both boards to come off.

Reactions: ohanacreek
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I may when I get an enclosed.. I’m thinking etrack and possible over the tire
I also went with the Erickson chocks and straps and they work great. I would go with the E-track now as I transported my son's Rubicon and could only tie dowm the rear tires as his wheel base is shorter. On the way over I straped the front and the rear end of the bike bounced to the right side of the trailer due to the steering. On the way home i straped the rear and you don't have that problem. After getting the Erickson I talked with a friend who uses E-track. His bike fits the E-track and he is able to strap all four tires. His son's bike is narrower so he puts the right side tires on the E-track and straps the front and rear tires. He hasn't had any problems using this system.
20181017 132119

Reactions: Shadesmn
K

kukini

Sep 5, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Your other option is purchase the Erickson setup with chocks. You will be drilling 12 holes per wheel to mount.

Or keep doing it as you are now.
I bought a set of the Erickson over the wheel chocks, I never installed them, Just couldn't bring myself to start drilling thru the floor of my trailer either.

I use the Erickson system and it's worked very well all season. I would never tow without it or a similar system again.

44475355 10218331858507297 6227370681307234304 n

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How well do the tracks work with different width vehicles. If you set it up for a stock pioneer then add offset wheels... do you need to move the tracks? Would assume so? I cant do the erickson system since my pioneer is never in the same place unless its the only thing on the trailer. Will probably just keep using the same method but im gonna look into some of the better straps that have been posted

Reactions: JTW and dnjones161
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How well do the tracks work with different width vehicles. If you set it up for a stock pioneer then add offset wheels... do you need to move the tracks? Would assume so? I cant do the erickson system since my pioneer is never in the same place unless its the only thing on the trailer. Will probably just keep using the same method but im gonna look into some of the better straps that have been posted

I'm in the same boat: looks neat but we bought a 20ft carhauler to do it all. Sometimes it's just the Pioneer, sometimes it's the Pioneer and Foreman (or 2). Tracks could work but the chocks wouldnt.

I tie down very similar to @Neohio except in the back I use the hitch as an attachment point rather than the roll cage.

Reactions: JTW and Farmer
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are using straps to the frame and back to the trailer, using an additional bungee strap between the two hooks on your ratchet straps will eliminate the straps coming undone over big bumps and the such.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm in the same boat: looks neat but we bought a 20ft carhauler to do it all. Sometimes it's just the Pioneer, sometimes it's the Pioneer and Foreman (or 2). Tracks could work but the chocks wouldnt.

I tie down very similar to @Neohio except in the back I use the hitch as an attachment point rather than the roll cage.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Dying to go over the tire but I'm always hauling something different. One time it might be my 700 centered in the middle, one time it might add my small 86 Fourtrax, or sometimes it's a buddies big foreman. Plus I can't convince myself to drill that many etrac holes in my aluminum deck.

Reactions: JTW and dnjones161
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I ran e track front to back on my trailer then used special straps made for e track to strap over the tire. It has worked really well. Sometimes I have an extra 4 wheeler in there so I can arrange any way necessary Dc7ae74c78e22ad6b97deb91edda69e4

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran e track front to back on my trailer then used special straps made for e track to strap over the tire. It has worked really well. Sometimes I have an extra 4 wheeler in there so I can arrange any way necessary View attachment 103924

Drooling at that trailer :)

Do you cover all 4 tires? I looked at the e track a while back but remember thinking it was maybe sketchy weight wise unless I did all 4 tires? It's been a while I may be mis-speaking or I may have misunderstood the weight rating on those etracks.

Do they come with the mounting hardware? Is the weight rating per section? Like so many lbs per ft of track?

Prolly a good question for etrailer lol don't feel obligated to answer if you don't have it fresh on your mind.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Are you guys saying I shouldn't just set the brake and consider it secured? Actually I really like my Erickson over the tire tie downs on my sxs trailer and believe it or not the tie down points in the garage of my toy hauler are great.

Reactions: JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Drooling at that trailer :)

Do you cover all 4 tires? I looked at the e track a while back but remember thinking it was maybe sketchy weight wise unless I did all 4 tires? It's been a while I may be mis-speaking or I may have misunderstood the weight rating on those etracks.

Do they come with the mounting hardware? Is the weight rating per section? Like so many lbs per ft of track?

Prolly a good question for etrailer lol don't feel obligated to answer if you don't have it fresh on your mind.

I cover the 2 rear tires and put 2 straps on the front bumper. I know a lot of guys just strap the 2 tires and haven't had any issues.

The e track is plenty strong enough just put plenty of screws in and make sure you screw to the framing when possible. I like the track better than the Erickson blocks because of the larger surface area being bolted down.

Reactions: JTW
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The nice part about the new track systems is there are so many devices that can be used in a wide variety of ways. I do agree that if I had an aluminum bed, I may think twice with all the drilling but I believe there is no better way to tie down anything than a properly installed track system.

Rails and straps are all weight rated and installation does affect what the max capacity will be.

FredD

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Tracks work great. We ha e them set up on our 16' trailer and they fit my p500 with offset wheels as well as my buddies 570 rzr with stock and aftermarket wheels. You dont need to be perfectly centered on them with the straps being 2" wide they have a bit of room to make them work over the tire width. We try to center up as much as possible but they are never exact, and we've not had any issues in two years of running them. Plus they make other accessories to tie down with like loop rings and such that you could use regular ratchet straps if need be for other sized loads.

Reactions: Dragon21
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I carry my mower which is narrower and the over the tire straps are at an angle but they work.

If it’s something very odd I have e-track d-rings that are rated for the max of the track itself and I have a tiedown point every 3-4” instead of random points on the side of the trailer.

So far it has been much better to tie things down with in general.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!