Stret legal Honda SXS in your state

Jetdude

Jetdude

Apr 10, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 500
Hello Everyone,

I live in Washington State and I am trying to legalize the use of My Honda SXS 500. My State allows the use, as long as it is street legal with all the bells and whistles..ie turn signals, windshield, horn, mirrors, brake and headlights. However my County has not adopted a ordinance allowing it.

I need your help....

I am compiling a list of Counties, Cities, and States that do allow the use of WATV's (wheeled all terrain vehicle''s) from all over the USA.

Please respond with a post regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help..

Jetdude

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey welcome from a fellow Washington State resident. Not sure where you’re at but Spokane is a little tough on Sxs usage however the surrounding areas are good. We usually head to Idaho to ride and they are very friendly in regards ATVs there

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello Everyone,

I live in Washington State and I am trying to legalize the use of My Honda SXS 500. My State allows the use, as long as it is street legal with all the bells and whistles..ie turn signals, windshield, horn, mirrors, brake and headlights. However my County has not adopted a ordinance allowing it.

I need your help....

I am compiling a list of Counties, Cities, and States that do allow the use of WATV's (wheeled all terrain vehicle''s) from all over the USA.

Please respond with a post regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help..

Jetdude
Tennessee and all counties with a tag and blinkers and such. No interstate

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
South Dakota

You have to have a rear view mirror, Brake lights, horn and headlights. Also must have licensed and proof of insurance.

Basically the same requirements as as a motorcycle with the exception that you can’t drive on the interstate.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
South Dakota

You have to have a rear view mirror, Brake lights, horn and headlights. Also must have licensed and proof of insurance.

Basically the same requirements as as a motorcycle with the exception that you can’t drive on the interstate.
Do you have your 1000 set up street legal for South Dakota??

D

Deleted member 3748

In Michigan, you can't make your SxS street legal. However, you can ride on most streets legally, except for state and federal highways. The laws vary by county and it trickles down to local levels, but overall the northern 2/3rds of MI is open for road riding. And of road, of course. ;)

Reactions: Vikes79
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the same position.. more opportunities to ride in Eastern Wa. Here is some info you might find useful . https://www.waatva.org/watv

I wouldn’t trust that websites map, it doesn’t show that pierce county as allowing it, but they do. Also it shows that pacific county does, but have been pulled over near west port and let off with a warning. The sheriff could have been wrong and uneducated, but I wasn’t about to press my luck

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NC absolutely not street legal. Hell, you can't even ride on trails here. Utah totally street legal though.

Reactions: sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In Michigan, you can't make your SxS street legal. However, you can ride on most streets legally, except for state and federal highways. The laws vary by county and it trickles down to local levels, but overall the northern 2/3rds of MI is open for road riding. And of road, of course. ;)
Is that to say it’s not legal to add a horn, turn signals, etc????

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
NC absolutely not street legal. Hell, you can't even ride on trails here. Utah totally street legal though.
I wonder if it’s low population states mostly. Last month I was surprised to see them all over the streets and roads in Montana.

Reactions: Vikes79 and 100Acre
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Is that to say it’s not legal to add a horn, turn signals, etc????

They changed the laws here, at least in this county, back in 2013. A buddy of mine down the road can drive his to work and back because he's grandfathered in. You can add the horn and turn signals but you still won't be street legal.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They changed the laws here, at least in this county, back in 2013. A buddy of mine down the road can drive his to work and back because he's grandfathered in. You can add the horn and turn signals but you still won't be street legal.
Wow, that stinks. So do you know why the law changed? Too many accidents. How do they enforce the grandfather clause?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Wow, that stinks. So do you know why the law changed? Too many accidents. How do they enforce the grandfather clause?

No idea why they changed it, maybe they thought it would become a nuisance having them run the roads all over town. As for enforcement, the machine must have to be law predated. I see a specific popo run down our road occasionally that I know is not grandfathered in, he just hasn't been popped yet.

D

Deleted member 3748

No idea why they changed it, maybe they thought it would become a nuisance having them run the roads all over town. As for enforcement, the machine must have to be law predated. I see a specific popo run down our road occasionally that I know is not grandfathered in, he just hasn't been popped yet.
The government guy who changed the law said he saw a SxS with a baby seat in the back and that's why he did it. It doesn't really matter though, we can ride almost anywhere... you just have to keep out under 25 mph on the roads.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Do you have your 1000 set up street legal for South Dakota??

Yes I have it setup for it. It’s basic right now with the brake light, horn and rear view mirror (have to use hand signals). 1/2 way through adding turn signals, spare batt and, and......

quickfish

quickfish

Sep 14, 2016
Kent, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I live inWA, but head to MT all the time and know for a fact and have checked w/MT State patrol, and local and county offers. But if you have put the turn signals, Horn, mirrors etc and have had it licensed for on-road use, your allowed on any road in MT as long as you can do with-in 10moh if the posted speed limits. So basically I’ve been flying down the state Hwy at 65mph as the speed limit was posted at 70mph.

The other cool note! National Parks allow your side by side too if it is licensed by your state of residence for on road use, but also has to have the following:
Turn signals
Horn
At least 2 mirrors
Glass windshield Dot approved
Dot approved tires.

So riding the loop at Glacier NP, was kick ass along with the trip to Yellowstone NP

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That one sounds a little difficult. Did you find a glass windshield for yours?
Some states require a helmet if you don't have a windshield. It seems around here that the sxs requirements and motorcycle requirements are very close relation.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Some states require a helmet if you don't have a windshield. It seems around here that the sxs requirements and motorcycle requirements are very close relation.
Yeah, I can see that. But have you ever seen or heard of a DOT approved glass windshield for a SXS? I’ve got everything else.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!