HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Anybody ever have the driver seatbelt get stuck? I hit mine with the pressure washer thinking it was just full of mud, but it still won't retract. It looks like it still has plenty of belt left on the spool so I juiced up the edges with some WD40 in the hopes that will help loosen up whatever is in there.

Reactions: sharp
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had that issue with my 18 last weekend. I can't wait to ditch the stock belts and install 4points

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I had that issue with my 18 last weekend. I can't wait to ditch the stock belts and install 4points
Did it work it's way loose or did you pull it apart? I'm with you on the harnesses, they'll be the next purchase I make.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I fed the strap back in and I was able to pull it out again. Fairly clumsy process

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think @popeye had a problem with one of his

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I fed the strap back in and I was able to pull it out again. Fairly clumsy process
I tried that and it just wadded up in the housing. Going to try tapping the sides, maybe that'll do it. Would rather not have to perform surgery on it...

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Surgery was not successful. Got it to start to respool by pulling off the "DO NOT REMOVE" cover on the side with the gears (yellow gasket/plastic). It still wouldn't retract all the way or very smoothly, so I punched out the pins holding the left side on (red gasket/plastic). Holding that plate on so it didn't fly off (it's the side containing the spring) I was able to get it to retract and extend as it should. When I put the little plastic pegs back into the spring-side cover, it decided it would no longer play nice and blew its guts all over the driveway. Once that springs comes out of there, there's no getting that beast back in its cage.

Reactions: Mudwing
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Surgery was not successful. Got it to start to respool by pulling off the "DO NOT REMOVE" cover on the side with the gears (yellow gasket/plastic). It still wouldn't retract all the way or very smoothly, so I punched out the pins holding the left side on (red gasket/plastic). Holding that plate on so it didn't fly off (it's the side containing the spring) I was able to get it to retract and extend as it should. When I put the little plastic pegs back into the spring-side cover, it decided it would no longer play nice and blew its guts all over the driveway. Once that springs comes out of there, there's no getting that beast back in its cage.

I have the stock seat belts off my 2016 if you need them.

Reactions: Adam490 and Mudwing
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I laughed at your description of events, but that stinks.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have the stock seat belts off my 2016 if you need them.
Thanks Todd. @Tramguage1 is already sending me over his takeoffs. If that ends up falling through I'll take you up on it though!

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I laughed at your description of events, but that stinks.
I couldn't help but laugh myself after I spent a couple hours fooling with it. I thought I was good to go, but those little pins that put pressure on the spring side plate cover must be a one time use item.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Being a safety item I believe Honda would take care of it. For future you might want to check with them

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had one of the rear belts not retract, my Honda dealer needed to see the belt them selfs, brought the machine in. Then they had to order the part, part was over a week out at the time. I didn’t want to loose a seat for the up coming weekend, I went home and pulled it apart also, released the little ratcheting finger, blew all the moving parts out with brake clean, and relived them with a light silicone lube. 8 months later it still works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I had one of the rear belts not retract, my Honda dealer needed to see the belt them selfs, brought the machine in. Then they had to order the part, part was over a week out at the time. I didn’t want to loose a seat for the up coming weekend, I went home and pulled it apart also, released the little ratcheting finger, blew all the moving parts out with brake clean, and relived them with a light silicone lube. 8 months later it still works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I tried WD40 and then brake cleaner before I pulled it apart. Tried blasting it out again with brake cleaner and it loosened up but still wouldn't retract. Mine sat under the mud for 10-15 minutes and filled up with some nasty funk. I think as long as you don't pull off the cover containing the spring you can repair these.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!