P1000 Snow drifts and a Transmission that will not Shift into Park, stuck in gear.

NickN

NickN

Dec 7, 2019
Boulder Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This past weekend I went hunting up in Wyoming with a late season cow elk tag. In places up high the conditions were better suited for a snowmobile or sxs with tracks. But little red did awesome, only got it stuck a couple times. Needless to say I was pretty hard on it.
Luckily I made it back to the trailer, shut it off, and noticed the shifter was in park but it was rolling backwards, not in park. Turned it back on, messed with the shift gate a couple times, and it went into park. Tried to load it on the trailer and it wouldn't go into "H". Messed with the shift gate again, turned it off and on a couple times and it finally went into gear. I thought, ok no big deal, its probably just all the frozen snow packed in the undercarriage. I got it home, let it thaw out for a couple days and the transmission is now permanently stuck in "H". It will not go into "P" at all, no matter how much I mess with it. Anyone have any experience with this or can direct me towards what to look at first. Hoping to tear into it this holiday weekend. Thanks in advance.

20211217 100056

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Awesome, thank you! That would be great if it is just adjusting the linkage, that looks easy, I was worried I toasted the tranny.
Well it's a good easy start. Like I tell apprentices I get, work smarter not harder

advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The adjustment in that video is for your rear differential. While it's good to check, it's not directly related to your problem.

You'll want to focus your adjustment efforts on your main shifter cable, the PRNHL selector.

I've also heard of guys having shifting difficulty in the cold because they put heavy weight oil in their subtrans.

Reactions: Rayger143 and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
because they put heavy weight oil in their subtrans.
Im thinking where he lives and hunts thats a Negative. So he can check that off.

Reactions: Rayger143
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The adjustment in that video is for your rear differential. While it's good to check, it's not directly related to your problem.
It can be and will get your gear selector out of wack if its too far out. even though the shifter cable adjustment will work if your shift lever is out of wack, possible but not likley when the s*** linkage is what puts it into gear and is directly connected to the shift cable control . Both are worth looking at and you want to start at the linkage adjustment before u start fucin with the shift cable or you‘ll go through a case or beer to get it all back right Just sayin from experiance ;)

Reactions: Rayger143 and TxDoc
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the first thing to check for your issue: Make sure that when the shifter is in Neutral, it sits nicely in the middle of the N position, and has 2mm or more free play up and down.

Screenshot 20211222 130929

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It can be and will get your gear selector out of wack if its too far out
Yeah, that does make sense, if the shift cable splits there in the box.

I couldn't recall whether it split inside or outside there...

There is one input and two outputs in the box, right? One out to the sub and one out to the diff.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

There is one input and two outputs in the box, right? One out to the sub and one out to the diff.
There is a third yes. I was trying to find a pic! bottom line is if your out of wack on that adjustment there youll get the shifter all jacked up. not only did the 2wd and 4 flash the P and the N would do it to. I adjusted the s*** cable and stopped all that then the drivetrain was fubar 😂 I was like WTF? Then @joeymt33 figured out that it was the other adjustment then i had to start from scratch. Alot gad changed since the early days of the P1 in methods to fix this issue.😂

H

HondaTech

The box your referring to has no cables from the sub trans going to it.
The 2 cables from the selector in the cab go to the sub trans for gear selection and the other to the rear box. That cable shifts the differential into 2wd Lock when in park.

Reactions: lee and TxDoc
NickN

NickN

Dec 7, 2019
Boulder Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the first thing to check for your issue: Make sure that when the shifter is in Neutral, it sits nicely in the middle of the N position, and has 2mm or more free play up and down.

View attachment 309971
I just went outside to try this, the Shifter when moved into the neutral position has a hard bias to the left and I was unable to check the free play, probably I'm guessing since the transmission is stuck in "H"?

NickN

NickN

Dec 7, 2019
Boulder Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a third yes. I was trying to find a pic! bottom line is if your out of wack on that adjustment there youll get the shifter all jacked up. not only did the 2wd and 4 flash the P and the N would do it to. I adjusted the s*** cable and stopped all that then the drivetrain was fubar 😂 I was like WTF? Then @joeymt33 figured out that it was the other adjustment then i had to start from scratch. Alot gad changed since the early days of the P1 in methods to fix this issue.😂
Thanks for the help, I'll get it in the garage and start digging into it tomorrow.

Reactions: Remington
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!