P1000 Sub-trans Oil ?

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ok I could not find the 3rd drain plug I found the one with the 17mm and one other with the 12mm does any one have any pics ?
i think it is a good idea to change it first 100 miles to know if you are wearing any components and see any metal flakes. if it was set up wrong or defect you will see it right away. about 8 qts all together and two filters.

Reactions: Biteme
sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
well my machine is now running t6 rotella in the subs trans and the engine. and on a side not why is it called a sub trans in my book that is a transfercase.

• Love
B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
well my machine is now running t6 rotella in the subs trans and the engine. and on a side not why is it called a sub trans in my book that is a transfercase.

Rotella T6 was what I was planning on running in my new talon also. Are you still happy with your decision?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
ok I could not find the 3rd drain plug I found the one with the 17mm and one other with the 12mm does any one have any pics ?
Pics it is. Note that this is a Talon but I 'think' they're in the same orientation. 🤔 If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me so I don't make this mistake again. ☺
I D3ddQQF L

Reactions: Biteme and Haldog77
L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i did the break in service on mine. checking the valves was not too terrible. took about 1.5hr to disassemble and the valve cover off. i have the service manual so that was super helpful. i wasnt able to find the timing marks described in the manual, but with some know how on finding tdc and all that jazz i was able to get thru it. everything was in spec. i do my services by the hour meter rather than the odometer. most of my riding is fooling around checking crops and running to town/ the bar.

Reactions: Biteme and CID
B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a pretty loud whining from my Talon. I don't remember if I had it last year so just to be safe I went ahead and changed the subtrans oil. Since it doesn't use a filter I used a very strong magnet in the oil to see if there was any metal sludge etc. There was no metal at all and the oil was very clean. I haven't checked the differential yet but I'm going to to ease my mine. Anyone else have a whining Talon or is it just me? Maybe I'm imagining things.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a pretty loud whining from my Talon. I don't remember if I had it last year so just to be safe I went ahead and changed the subtrans oil. Since it doesn't use a filter I used a very strong magnet in the oil to see if there was any metal sludge etc. There was no metal at all and the oil was very clean. I haven't checked the differential yet but I'm going to to ease my mine. Anyone else have a whining Talon or is it just me? Maybe I'm imagining things.
Mine has two different whining noises - 1. Only in i4wd and, although annoying, not too bad. It's a low pitched growl. 2. The overall gear whine almost screams at my ears to the point of being painful, enough that I won't ride without earplugs (with helmet), or shop ear muffs if riding without my helmet.

Both of my Talons did/do both the same.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Mine has two different whining noises - 1. Only in i4wd and, although annoying, not too bad. It's a low pitched growl. 2. The overall gear whine almost screams at my ears to the point of being painful, enough that I won't ride without earplugs (with helmet), or shop ear muffs if riding without my helmet.

Both of my Talons did/do both the same.
Thanks. Knowing others are experiencing it at least means I'm not just imagining things. When I get any new vehicle of any kind it always takes a while before I trust it.

Reactions: CID and Biteme
Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Running Rotella T-6 in my P1000 in the engine and sub trans, also running in my Kawasaki Teryx4, have had no oil related issues with either machine. I suspect Honda does the same as GM or Ford does, contact an oil manufacturer and give them an additive list (Honda does not manufacture oil)and whomever gives them the best price gets to sell them the rebranded oil for this purchase cycle.

Reactions: CID
advertisement