P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was about 8 hrs for my first time in there.

I could probably do another one in 4 hrs or so now that I've been there before, and I'd be studied up from this guide. Prepare ahead of time and some of the wtf moments will go smoother.

J

johnsatv1

Jul 28, 2021
Kirbyville TX
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It was about 8 hrs for my first time in there.

I could probably do another one in 4 hrs or so now that I've been there before, and I'd be studied up from this guide. Prepare ahead of time and some of the wtf moments will go smoother.
Thanks for the info i was figuring around 6 hours. Thinking Im going to do the Tallon reverse gear but is there a better low gear? This one here high gear and reverse isn't bad at all but when in low gear it pops out really bad......

T

TwistedGrip

Dec 19, 2020
Dover Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good afternoon. I have read everything I can get my hands on to do this job, have all the gasket, and gear part numbers but would very much to confirm these numbers with someone who has had success doing the Talon Low and reverse swap. I would also like to replace all of the shift forks. The following are the numbers I have EXCEPT FOR THE SEAL PART NUMBERS. Any assitance will be greatly appreciated Thanks
Perry

23701-HL6-000 GEAR, REVERSE IDLER
23751-HL4-000 SHIFTER LOW REVERSE
23691-HL6-A00 GEAR, REVERSE DRIVE
23650-HL4-000 GEAR, FINAL DRIVE LOW
24215-HL4-000 FORK, SUB GEARSHIFT RR
24214-HL4-000 FORK, SUB GEARSHIFT FR
21206-HL4-003 GASKET
21205-HL4-003 GASKET

Last edited:
G

GameOverMan

May 6, 2021
Jackson, wy
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

3. Talon R
Don't have the gear list in front of me but it looks good. You will also need 2 long bolts replace that hold the case together and I wouldn't worry about forks. THey whill be as new most likely. I would watch youtube vids to see how to get to it for sure and use manual for the assembly.

Reactions: TxDoc
H

HondaTech

Don't have the gear list in front of me but it looks good. You will also need 2 long bolts replace that hold the case together and I wouldn't worry about forks. THey whill be as new most likely. I would watch youtube vids to see how to get to it for sure and use manual for the assembly.
What 2 bolts are you referring to?
Ive never replaced any bolts when servicing a sub trans in a Talon or Pioneer?

A

armysgt97

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you!
This was a great write up. I will be using this to fix my reverse gear soon.
I hope nobody minds but I converted this write up in to a PDF document for easy reference.
I will attach it to this post.

Attachments

• P1000 Sub-Transmission Service(Web Optimized).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
N

nathan70817

Nov 27, 2022
La
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interesting. Our manuals are different. Here is the same section from my electronic version:

View attachment 267150
So should the punch mark on the control shaft line up with N or P on the transmission casing when reassembled? If the instructions show it on the P position , why should the shifter on the dash be put in N before we re-install shift cable to control shaft.

Reactions: TxDoc and ch33br0h
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So should the punch mark on the control shaft line up with N or P on the transmission casing when reassembled? If the instructions show it on the P position , why should the shifter on the dash be put in N before we re-install shift cable to control shaft.
N is the correct position. If your manual says "P", you got a copy with the misprint.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post #125 refers to a couple of long bolts that should be replaced. The service manual on page 12-7 references two stud bolts that should be replaced. Are these the bolts referenced on post #125, and what are the part #'s

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335
Z

Zack4204

Sep 24, 2021
Wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone happen to have the list of part numbers for all the ball and needle bearings and all the oil seals that are in the sub transmission or can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find them?
I've tried everything up to and including going to the dealership and every one they pulled that was supposed to be one, has been wrong.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
yeh -

u have 2 routes - just got to Ron ayers or partzilla or similar and just pull up the detailed parts diagram and order it or

just get the number off the bearing if it is on it (usually is) and cross reference it and get it

tbh - I never get oem bearings - too expensive - I just cross reference and order up - its not like Honda makes the bearing, they just buy it from Fafnir, timken or whoever

Z

Zack4204

Sep 24, 2021
Wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I worked from below the vehicle to remove the sub-trans. Wiggling and moving forward, keep it level so you're not stressing the stud bolts that will be left behind.
Here's mine starting to separate:
View attachment 226556

The manual (page 12-7, PDF 377) tells you to collect up your dowel pins, gasket, and drive damper. My drive damper blew up when the sub-trans came out, I don't know why. I had five springs falling out, snap rings, etc. I was able to re-assemble it on the bench, so it turned out OK.
My drive damper also blew apart. Do you happen to have anything that shows how it goes back together? Specifically how the big washer an top plate go in it. I'm fairly certain I have it the correct way but want to make sure of it and I can't find any diagrams that show how it's assembled.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!